The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer upgrade help, please?

So, my computer's getting outdated at being 4 years old. I'd love to upgrade to a new computer so I can play sims flawlessly as I have on this one. Fact is, I don't have much money to spend on one. I'd like a computer that can be expanded and updated/upgraded with time if needed, but still on the cheap side. I found one in particular I like from Best Buy, but I don't know if it could really hold up to Sims 3 expectations.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaCentre+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/4603017.p?id=1218496161228&skuId=4603017
What are your preferences? Is this a good computer for simming? Or would it be a waste of money?

Comments

• Options
    Purplefreak3Purplefreak3 Posts: 583 Member
    edited April 2012
    I would stay away from that computer cause wouldn't even attempt to try to play games on that setup.
  • Options
    Shadow2SoulShadow2Soul Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited April 2012
    I wouldn't trust the graphics in that pc. Intel's graphics aren't the best for gaming. I would suggest looking for a pc with NVIDIA or ATI, but thats just my personal preference.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited April 2012
    The specs don't list a video slot. This is characteristic of bargain computers.

btw: that big box store has announced it is closing 50 stores. That is a sign of trouble. I recommend caution.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    katana_xkatana_x Posts: 1,163 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Do you know anyone who builds computers? You can pay for parts, pay them for the labor, and still spend considerably less for a *lot* more computer than you would on a pre-built machine. I spent a couple thousand building my machine, and it would probably have been close to twice that if I'd purchased it from a box. For the amount you want to spend, you'll have much better luck buying parts. You can probably recycle some parts from your old rig, too, like the case itself.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited April 2012
    katana_x - Ive been recommending http://www.ibuypower.com/IbpPages/AMDLobby.aspx as my son bought one (4 years of college and loyalty goes right out the window) and it looked good. The only complaint is the Corsair water cooler makes a clicking sound (the pump). Prices are on par and systems are very customizable. Components are off the shelf parts so it's like you went to CompUSA and bought the parts. I think the prises are reasonable.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.