Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When is a baby's gender decided?

Right as it is born or conceived? So if you were to save right before the baby is born, could you get a different result? Thanks for any info. :)

Comments

• Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited April 2012
    As soon as your sim finds out she is pregnant.

You can however increase the gender by eating either apple (for a boy) or watermelons (girl)
  • Options
    Maygirl2Maygirl2 Posts: 771 Member
    edited April 2012
    BEFORE the pregnancy shows have the sim eat lots of apples or watermelons.

Apples = Boys
    Watermelons = Girls
  • Options
    PandacoffeePandacoffee Posts: 702 Member
    edited April 2012
    I actually think that the apples/watermelons cheat doesn't work anymore. Both my sister and I get just random results when we try it now :? I had my sim eat 6 watermelons and she had a boy and a girl!
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited April 2012
    If you have Twallan's Master Controller, there are Baby options under the Basic sub-menu. You can either choose the gender outright or skew the odds in one direction or the other.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    NadiNadi99NadiNadi99 Posts: 1,638
    edited April 2012
    I actually think that the apples/watermelons cheat doesn't work anymore. Both my sister and I get just random results when we try it now :? I had my sim eat 6 watermelons and she had a boy and a girl!
    I think that you have to eat at least 10, I'm not sure but I think that's what you have to do.
  • Options
    ArkanoireArkanoire Posts: 761 New Member
    edited April 2012
    yeah, I found out the hard way if you have MC then the apples/watermelons don't work. D:
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited April 2012
    Arkanoire wrote:
    yeah, I found out the hard way if you have MC then the apples/watermelons don't work. D:

It's worked for me. I only had my sim eat 3 apples for a boy or 3 watermelons for a girl and get the gender I want 8 out of 10 times.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    CakeingtonCakeington Posts: 27 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Oh I didn't know about the fruit - where do you get them from? Must you grow them or can they be purchased from the store?

Thanks for the info guys! :)
  • Options
    Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited April 2012
    Cakeington wrote:
    Oh I didn't know about the fruit - where do you get them from? Must you grow them or can they be purchased from the store?

Thanks for the info guys! :)
    You can do either.
  • Options
    CakeingtonCakeington Posts: 27 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Thanks! :]
  • Options
    NRaasNRaas Posts: 734 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Cakeington wrote:
    Right as it is born or conceived?

At birth.

Though as the other posters have noted, you can skew the results by eating certain fruit.

If you ask a doctor to determine the baby's gender, you will force the game to choose at that point.

The doctor can only hard-set the gender for the first baby of a pregnancy. If your sim has twins or triplets, the gender of the other babies will be based on the fruit approach.

If you have a mod such as [StoryProgression] installed, that mod uses the doctor method to force gender based on the options you have set.

:)
  • Options
    Emily485Emily485 Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited April 2012
    NRaas wrote:
    Cakeington wrote:

At birth.

Though as the other posters have noted, you can skew the results by eating certain fruit.

If you ask a doctor to determine the baby's gender, you will force the game to choose at that point.

The doctor can only hard-set the gender for the first baby of a pregnancy. If your sim has twins or triplets, the gender of the other babies will be based on the fruit approach.

If you have a mod such as [StoryProgression] installed, that mod uses the doctor method to force gender based on the options you have set.

OMG OMG OMG Nraas! :shock:

Sorry for my spazziness :oops:
  • Options
    PinkSims51PinkSims51 Posts: 572 Member
    edited April 2012
    If your sim does see a doctor that tells her that their child is a boy, if you then ate watermelons then you have more chance of a girl and boy twins and vice versa.
  • Options
    ronile1ronile1 Posts: 8,166 New Member
    edited April 2012
    That means your sim was supposed to have a boy and a girl. I think I saw it somewhere, that if you are about to have twins, ask the baby's gender, and eat what you need for the other gender, you'll get mixed gender twins.
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited April 2012
    The fruit cheat still works for me (well, whenever I've done it it's worked). I don't always use it though.
    Saving just before the birth and then exiting the game so you can change what gender the baby is doesn't work for me, it used to in Sims 2 though.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Saving just before the birth and then exiting the game so you can change what gender the baby is doesn't work for me, it used to in Sims 2 though.

EA saves the randomizing key it uses with the pregnancy to your save-file. Meaning even if you reload, the outcome will be the same.

This ensures that the child will always look the same genetically, giving the appearance that genetics are defined at conception, not at birth.

• Options
    take0nmetake0nme Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited April 2012
    NRaas wrote:

EA saves the randomizing key it uses with the pregnancy to your save-file. Meaning even if you reload, the outcome will be the same.

This ensures that the child will always look the same genetically, giving the appearance that genetics are defined at conception, not at birth.

I always get a little excited when I see you post. It's like talking to a celeb. I really appreciate all of your work.
    Whats your name? I'm Shari :)
    DyFJE8G.jpg
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gallery ID : sharipants
  • Options
    Snakefire30Snakefire30 Posts: 473 Member
    edited April 2012
    NRaas wrote:
    Cakeington wrote:

At birth.

I have a question about Master Controller then. If gender is determined at birth, how is Master Controller able to tell me the gender of the baby, or does the combination of your Story Progression and Master Controller use the doctor method to force gender?
  • Options
    FrusturatedUserFrusturatedUser Posts: 484 Member
    edited April 2012
    I'd say variable, because I'm pretty sure it was changed in a patch (albeit on that came out at least two years ago). In the early days, I vividly remember reloading after the mother has given birth back to seconds before the baby was born @ the hospital. I got a boy the first time and a girl the second time.

When I tried this again a few months ago, no matter what I did my sim gave birth to a twin girl then boy no matter what I did.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    does the combination of your Story Progression and Master Controller use the doctor method to force gender?

Both mods use the same method.

[StoryProgression] hard-sets the gender immediately on conception.

[MasterController] allows you to hard-set it at any time after that.

• Options
    kivbykivby Posts: 160 New Member
    edited April 2012
    NRaas wrote:
    does the combination of your Story Progression and Master Controller use the doctor method to force gender?

So even though SP decides the gender as soon as its conceived we still have the ability with MC to change it later if we want to?

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited April 2012
    kivby wrote:
    NRaas wrote:

So even though SP decides the gender as soon as its conceived we still have the ability with MC to change it later if we want to?
    Yes - I change the baby's gender with MC after conception when I really want a particular gender.
  • Options
    EiszimmerEiszimmer Posts: 969 Member
    edited April 2012
    Basically, what Twallan said. I always have a certain order in mind in concern to the genders of my Sims children since I guess because I like that amount of control. I ALWAYS have a certain order in mind.
  • Options
    kivbykivby Posts: 160 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Mikezumi wrote:
    kivby wrote:
    NRaas wrote:

Yes - I change the baby's gender with MC after conception when I really want a particular gender.

haha thanks for clearing that up, I just wanted to make sure I'd understood it right - sometimes have problems getting something unless every detail is p.a.i.n.s.t.a.k.i.n.g.l.y explained to me :wink:
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited April 2012
    NRaas wrote:
    Cakeington wrote:

At birth.

Ahhh Twallan, well I had mod withdrawal and you are now back in my life! :)
    Long live the new Doctor!