Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I speak for the Trees! Who really needs a Thneed? Obviously CAW users do.

We all know trees. Tedious, lagging, Pretty, a huge part of a world, but the longest part to do

I was wondering, any mods out there to group a section of trees then copy/past them? or auto-place trees? how about tree paint? paint a area and set the space(squares[meters]) you want apart from each tree and places them for you? any tree placing friendly options in super CAW?

It also occurred to me, How do you place your trees? in rows? Horizontal? Vertical? or in sections, do you tree the whole map? or layer them as in this section is thick and as we go out they get thinner? Do you use any mods do help you?

I'd like this to be kind of like a debate. and also these answered because tree placing is the only thing preventing me from finishing my world.

Comments

• Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi there :)

I like my trees, but because of performance issues I'm learning to put less and less of them in my worlds. The areas where there's dense forests I paint unroutable terrain, as I wouldn't want poor simmies stuck in those scary forests!

Personally, I don't feel CAW needs any adjudstments just to allow easy placement of trees. I mean, if you're tired of placing trees then you must be placing too much. IDK - just my opinion. I never get tired of placing trees; I make my forests have different types of Fir trees.

I place my trees ... any way I want :mrgreen: Unless it's an orchard or something, then I don't see why trees would be placed horizontally or in a particular fashion etc etc.

Mods to help me? Are there mods? :shock: I don't think there are ... Unless Twallan has designed a "Master Tree Controller" mod :shock: I don't think mods work in CAW, in the way that mods work in the game. I really don't know.

ETA: And if ya think placing trees is the longest part of world-creating ... try routing! It's killing me at the moment :P
  • Options
    geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited April 2012
    I usually place them randomly, unless i want a specific area to have a certain amount/type of them. I also sometimes use them to hide something that i don't want to be immediately visible from a lot.
    I have no idea about any mods that help you place trees. And i don't think there is any.
    As for Super CAW, I haven't used it. I have enough problems with CAW as it is , to actually bother unlocking a super version of it every single time a new patch/EP is out

ETA: i think you guys are both wrong on one thing. The LONGER part in creating a world, is actually building the lots. Res lots are ok as you can use dupliactes of them, but community lots are a pain...It's the only reason I am ok with the whole rabbithole idea, as i don't have to decorate the inside of these ones as well..
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2012
    For the question about placing trees, you should remember that trees are grouped by chunk and layer. So any trees of the same type which are in the same chunk and on the same layer will be clustered into a single object.

I find it easier to just put all trees on a single layer, but the EA worlds have the trees on different layers according to region.

It's best not to use too many different types of trees, as this allows CAW to cluster trees efficiently.

If you place 10 oak trees, all on different chunks or different layers, they will be 10 different objects. But if you place the same 10 oak trees on the same chunk and same layer, they will be sved as a single object, and will make less of an impact on your game performance.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    SHadowfiend69SHadowfiend69 Posts: 262 Member
    edited April 2012
    Conorsim wrote:
    Hi there :)

I like my trees, but because of performance issues I'm learning to put less and less of them in my worlds. The areas where there's dense forests I paint unroutable terrain, as I wouldn't want poor simmies stuck in those scary forests!

Personally, I don't feel CAW needs any adjudstments just to allow easy placement of trees. I mean, if you're tired of placing trees then you must be placing too much. IDK - just my opinion. I never get tired of placing trees; I make my forests have different types of Fir trees.

I place my trees ... any way I want :mrgreen: Unless it's an orchard or something, then I don't see why trees would be placed horizontally or in a particular fashion etc etc.

Mods to help me? Are there mods? :shock: I don't think there are ... Unless Twallan has designed a "Master Tree Controller" mod :shock: I don't think mods work in CAW, in the way that mods work in the game. I really don't know.

ETA: And if ya think placing trees is the longest part of world-creating ... try routing! It's killing me at the moment :P

Here is a picture of my trees
    tumblr_m26rj6AS651r85i12o2_500.png
    there all regular fir trees because I herd the more different trees the laggyer, and you can see there pretty close. past the blue line is no sim paint

This is what i mean by rows
    tumblr_m26rj6AS651r85i12o1_500.png
    basically do a row of trees (in my case 7-20 across) starting from the top then go down

the linen of trees I made,past that is when the trees will start to get thiner so I don't have to 100% blanket my world.

It also occurred to me, do you rotate your trees as you place them so its not a repeating face? or do you just spaz out place them?

OMFGI just re-read that. all of the grammar mistakes.
  • Options
    AwnswaringAwnswaring Posts: 47 New Member
    edited April 2012
    I really like trees. I use lots of them.

First of all, I always have a "foliage palette" of about twenty plants and trees. Some only get used in certain spots, riparian areas especially. I do use other trees outside my palette, but I consider them "non-native" and restrict use of them to lots.

I usually place larger, wider trees by themselves but clump narrower trees of the same type in groups of two or three. Sometimes, I'm fairly random, but often I have to place a dozen or so trees until the game decides to give me the right size I want for a certain spot!

For forested areas that will be nonroutable, I tend to use only two or three types. I always rotate each tree a little bit when I place them, but I don't put them down in rows. I start out mostly scattered and just fill in, so some areas are fuller, some thinner. I think a variety of density looks more natural.

I agree with geminiagre; trees are not near the longest part of world building for me. It's the lot building. But it's all pretty fun to me. Though placing trees for a forest can get mind-numbing at times.