The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else having problems with custom patterns?

I've downloaded several patterns from the exchange; some recolors, some new. All of the recolors show up great, figures, eh? But only 1 of the new patterns showed up, the rest are listed under misc. and are blank?

Why don't the new patterns work? How can I get them to work? What am I missing?

:roll:

Comments

• Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2009
    My only problem with custom patterns is in finding the time to craft my own. This is something I've really been wanting to do, but so far, I've been busy trying to deal with graphics card and game crashing issues. Once my game is stable, I'll focus on crafting them.

By the way, there is a tutorial available over at ModThesims2.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    darlingsimsdarlingsims Posts: 96 Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really into creating at this point, but would love to be able to use what others have made. Some are really cool! But they don't show up in the game? Least the new ones don't. The recolors work, but the new designs don't. Is it a problem with the pattern? Or something I need to do in the game to make them show up?
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2009
    You shouldn't have to do anything besides install them. They should appear in Create-A-Style just like the EA ones. As to the category where they show up, that's up to the creator to define. I've had some patterns show up as black so I've just deleted them. Not sure what caused that to happen. Could be related to my graphics card or simply that they were faulty creations. I dunno.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    DemintiaDemintia Posts: 277 Member
    edited July 2009
    There is talk that when uploading custom patterns to the site, it doesn't include the 'mesh' of the pattern. (I'm not completely sure about this as it seems some patterns are uploaded correctly.) I've only had one or two people complain to me about my pattern, and have the original on my own site just in case. (As I had to recolour the pattern in order to be able to 'share it').
  • Options
    Pixie88Pixie88 Posts: 78 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I have heard that the New patterns that are not originally on the game in the Exchange won't work in the game. There are a few sites that do have good patterns that work, like modthesims.com and thesimsresource.com

You can also make your own patterns by getting the Sims 3 Workshop from here http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop

And here is a tutorial on how to create a pattern http://www.thesimsresource.com/tutorials/view/id/11713/Sims 3 Workshop Patterns Plugin Manual
  • Options
    darlingsimsdarlingsims Posts: 96 Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow! Thanks! I do believe I'll be heading to TSR to pick that up. Wish me luck!!! :D
  • Options
    sawgrass770sawgrass770 Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2009
    I read a thread on the technical forum recently about this. Apparently it is not possible to download a pattern from the exchange. Not sure why the texture doesn't accompany the pattern and not sure why EA hadn't fixed this at the time of that post. But if somebody puts an item on the exchange with a pattern you like, you will get the pattern if you upload the item.