Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error code 12

12345679...Next

Comments

• Options
    discodivaxxxdiscodivaxxx Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    This happened to me lastnight and ive got showtime,generations,seasons,Ambitions,disel stuff,university life and this had never happened to me before until installed custom content does anyone no what i can do?c;
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited May 2014
    This happened to me lastnight and ive got showtime,generations,seasons,Ambitions,disel stuff,university life and this had never happened to me before until installed custom content does anyone no what i can do?c;

You're asking questions which, had you bothered to actually read this thread rather than just post on it in panic mode, you may have found some tips to try and make it work...... i.e. - resetting RAM.

Or maybe, just maybe, it may have something to do with the CC you installed(which can ramp up RAM usage in itself)? Have you tried it WITHOUT the CC you installed? Just a hunch but using my powers of deduction it may have something to do with the CC, given that it worked BEFORE you installed it......... :roll:
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    bancroftsbancrofts Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    emilzydiva wrote:
    I had error code 12 AND 16, for saving i would get either them, i was logged in then but i've started playing not being logged in and that had sorted my problem! If any of you guys are logged in your game, try logging out and saving your game maybe every sim night when your sims go to sleep, this has helped me alot.

Sounds Great gotta give this a try! :mrgreen::D
  • Options
    DersAngel7405DersAngel7405 Posts: 172 New Member
    edited May 2014
    I can't believe after all this time the Error problems still hasn't been fixed!!!!! :x
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited May 2014
    Well, it has to do with not having enough free Memory to save the game. If you're using Windows to play the game, you need to increase your memory allocation to the game to at least 4GB and on the Mac you need to purge your memory regularly.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    alikysalikys Posts: 4
    edited June 2014
    Ok, so, for the past couple days I've been getting this error. First time, I tried to outsmart the game and save from (instead of edit town) a different location but then my game just crashed. Now, I had a swimming session and I admit, it was long ok? But ***? How is it fair if u waste so much time playing a computer game and making progress in it and then u are forced to leave it without saving. I'm seriously frustrated right now. I changed a lot of sims today, got about 5 promotions in multiple families together, divided a family, had a wedding, my sim graduated from hs, had a huge party, 2 birthdays and omg, so much more. How am I supposed to just own to the fact that all my wasted time was for nothing!!! This problem seriously needs to be fixed. I get it, if u play for too long the memory runs full but c'mon, this is SO UNFAIR!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If you take the time and follow the simple instructions that I have posted from BlueBellFlora, it won't be a problem to save your game. Yes, I have actually played my game for 8 hours or so and saved with no progress lost. It would be nice if we didn't have to take extra steps, but this isn't a "normal" game.
  • Options
    marmareniamarmarenia Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    I find it :mrgreen: .And i was thinking my game is broke :mrgreen:
  • Options
    emarievemariev Posts: 14
    edited June 2014
    I dont have seasons (I have the starter pack) But error code 12 still pops up for me every once in a while o.o
  • Options
    PikaTheDotPikaTheDot Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I discovered it helps for me for error 16 if I don't use the computer for a few minutes before I save again, but for error 12 all I can do is go to main menu without saving...
    I also trying "saving as" and the first time it worked but the second time it failed and deleted my family :(
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Just remember to purge your RAM regularly and to save often as well.
  • Options
    Martina-ElisabetMartina-Elisabet Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Can anyone say how to fix this problem. I think that those who made ​​the game are required to help us. For me it did not start error problem when I got the seasons. It started back after I got the first expantionspack. And it was night life. It is not at all big.
    It got just a month after I started playing the sims 3 so I'm huge upset that you can only play with a family for a while. It's not fun to start a new family all the time. So if anyone has a suggestion for something that can help please tell me. There must be something that can give sims more space-saving.
    I'm a big Simfan and I am considering actually not buying sims 4 because of this. For it does not feel worth it.
    Will surely end up with that I do it in all cases. :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If you read the three threads here, you will find your answer. BlueBellFlora's is probably the best place to start.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/748338.page
  • Options
    chuponechupone Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    I have sims world adventures and high end loft stuff. I don't have seasons but I constantly get error code 12. I'm wondering if I need to delete the expansions and just stick to the base game although that gets boring quick
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nope. Purge your RAM regularly and Error Code 12 will go away. There are two ways to do it. One is to follow BlueBellFlora's instructions or another is to find a Memory Cleaner app in the Apple App Store.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/748338.page
  • Options
    AlyssaThePandaAlyssaThePanda Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    I haven't played this expansion pack (late night) for a while and after I installed it and made a game I went to save and it came up with Code Error 12. I'm uninstalling late night now! :shock: :cry:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I haven't played this expansion pack (late night) for a while and after I installed it and made a game I went to save and it came up with Code Error 12. I'm uninstalling late night now!

Why are you uninstalling it? Why not just follow the multiple pieces of advice on here and frequently purge your RAM during gameplay?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And read help threads posted on here. It's amazing what you can find.

http://zaccym.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/how-to-overcome-save-error-code-12-on.html
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    blossomberry1blossomberry1 Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Here are some things that I did and I rarely have the error code 12 now, I just get it when I play Sims 3 for hours and hours, but now I just play Sims 3 for an hour, just enough for one day.
    First of all I like to run without custom content, so it wont lag and crash as much, next while I'm in the main menu of Sims 3 where all your saved households are, click the one you play alot and don't want to lose, and copy it (it will double it and will be your backup. Next don't play with your backup yet, play with your original one, when the error code comes up "Quit" without saving. Go to your documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3> Saves> (Household name) << Delete the file you just played with that got the error code 12. Come back to The Sims 3 and you will notice in the main menu the original household is deleted, click the backup household and copy it (double it) start playing with your backup and it will start being your original!!Hopefully this will help stop your problem , I rarely get error code 12 now, just don't play The Sims 3 too long! :-) :-) Hope I helped!!
  • Options
    RayvenzyRayvenzy Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    Hey this thread is old I guess but I wanted to tell everyone that I got this error while editing a world.

I fixed it by deleting what I added that I thought most likely caused it.
    (I add a ton of weird custom stuff)

I was about to just quit like you say here but then i thought I'd give it a try and it started working just fine again.

So if anyone else is having the same problem as me just delete the most recent lots you place down or any recent changes.
  • Options
    Awesomeguy199813Awesomeguy199813 Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    So I went to documents. Electronics arts, then went to Sims 3. I went to saves and deleted the bad which was obviously one of the problems. After that my legacy game started to work "The McAllister Family"
    I was glad, and decided to tell you guys after I was done with game play cause I heard about your problems too. Unfortunately error 12 appeared. Again. But it still works.

Sometimes when I close my computer completely and re open it saves.

But I'm with you guys. EA get off your *****. No offense. Also when error 12 keeps appearing I'm guessing cause of memory... so I deleted some non important memories as well. Hope this MIGHT help ;/
    -Awesomeguy
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You should always play with Memories Disabled as the data bloats your game saves like crazy and can cause corruptions like you wouldn't believe. Secondly, clear your RAM early and often and save, save, save. Also save before you quit and then just quit the game. Never save and quit as again this can cause corrupt game data. Same thing happens in Sims 2.
  • Options
    lotty712lotty712 Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    So I was getting this Error Code 12 pretty much every time I tried to save my game at one point. I did some searching online and tried a few tips from others but nothing seemed to work consistently ... Until I tried to 'purge' my ram as suggested on a few websites and also in this thread. I am on OSX Mavericks with 8gb ram and a dedicated graphics card so I didn't really expect this to make any difference. However, when I looked at how much ram was being used in the Activity Monitor while playing the Sims 3, it would pretty much always say around 7.2 to 7.98gb ... Whether I had other programs running or not. If I try to save when my 'memory used' is very close to the 8gb ram I have (eg, on those occasions that memory used is 7.98gb) I would get Error Code 12 every time. If I 'purge' the ram before trying to save using the 'sudo purge' command in terminal, then attempt to save, the game saves with no problems and so far, no Error Code 12 :D
    Anyways, just wanted to let people know that this method has so far worked for me without fail :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    lotty712 wrote:
    So I was getting this Error Code 12 pretty much every time I tried to save my game at one point. I did some searching online and tried a few tips from others but nothing seemed to work consistently ... Until I tried to 'purge' my ram as suggested on a few websites and also in this thread. I am on OSX Mavericks with 8gb ram and a dedicated graphics card so I didn't really expect this to make any difference. However, when I looked at how much ram was being used in the Activity Monitor while playing the Sims 3, it would pretty much always say around 7.2 to 7.98gb ... Whether I had other programs running or not. If I try to save when my 'memory used' is very close to the 8gb ram I have (eg, on those occasions that memory used is 7.98gb) I would get Error Code 12 every time. If I 'purge' the ram before trying to save using the 'sudo purge' command in terminal, then attempt to save, the game saves with no problems and so far, no Error Code 12 :D
    Anyways, just wanted to let people know that this method has so far worked for me without fail :)

:thumbup:

And that's why we keep repeating the same advice over and over again, because it WORKS!

OS X makes plenty of RAM available for the game but the game can only utilise up to 2Gb RAM. It can hit that limit pretty quickly, within seconds in CAS. So PURGE people, PURGE!
    apple-signature.png