Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blue screen crash twice while playing

So I've had this blue screen crash... if I was computer smart I could figure out what it's trying to tell me. It's happened twice today and three times a week or so ago. Twice while playing sims, twice while on the inernet, and i forget one time.
Here is the pic:2q3atu1.jpg

I've tried updating a few things a week ago... nothing really just the main windows updates and such. Tried to figure out computer stuff but gave up and now i'm neeeding help again since they've happened twice in one day! I've only had this computer for 10 days! Which scares me...

Comments

• Options
    ClaudiajadeRoddamClaudiajadeRoddam Posts: 102
    edited March 2012
    Thats BSOD or as lots of people know it by 'Blue Screen Of Death'
    I have had it many times and some times you need your computer fully cleaned or sometimes you can carry on after a few steps.
    Just type in google 'How to get rid of Blue Screen'
    Or you can do this thing my dad did to my laptop where you reset it back to a certain date or 'From the beginning of time' Which will mean you will lose every thing! So put your important stuff on a memory stick.
    I'm sure people will have a solution (unlike me :oops: )
    But I dont know if this is related but just in case:
    If you get a random pc cleaner pop up that is 'Win37' or some thing like that reboot your pc as soon as possible and make sure you get rid of it! I had to get my laptop reset from the beginning of time and then i came back so i had to reboot and cage the virus.
  • Options
    BGateGWayBBGateGWayB Posts: 3,828 Member
    edited March 2012
    AAH! I have a security system I paid for hopefully nothing passes it! I hope I don't lose everything. :( If anyone else can't come up with a problem i'll just ask Best Buy or something. I'd rather not contact the manufacturer they kept delaying my computer and had a few minor problems. Thanks though you helped me to learn a little about exactly what it is :)
  • Options
    Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited March 2012
    If it's happening with more than just the game, then it's not the game.

Offhand, nvlddmkm.dll is a file that corresponds to the nVidia drivers/video card. Googling "0x00000116" brings up results with video drivers (some even ATI/AMD) as well, so I'd start researching the video drivers/video card.

Are you overclocking your video card? Are GPU temperatures okay?

What OS (version of Windows) do you use?

What video card and driver version do you have, if you know?

Some of the later video drivers for nVidia (past version 275.33) have had TDR issues for many people, myself included. These seem more common with GeForce 400 and GeForce 500 (especially GF104 and GF114 GPUs), but they're not exclusive to those. I'm not sure what causes them myself. These aren't outright BSODs, but I suppose it's worth mentioning because maybe they could cause that too. If you want to try that driver version, uninstall your nVidia software and download and install nVidia Driver v275.33 (make sure to get the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version that corresponds with your OS type; you can find out what you have by right-clicking "Computer" and choosing "Properties" on Windows Vista or Windows 7).

You can do a Google search on "0x00000116" if you wish and see what else you can find. Googling the "STOP code", that first string of numbers (not necessarily the whole thing), can sometimes help.
  • Options
    ClaudiajadeRoddamClaudiajadeRoddam Posts: 102
    edited March 2012
    BGateGWayB wrote:
    AAH! I have a security system I paid for hopefully nothing passes it! I hope I don't lose everything. :( If anyone else can't come up with a problem i'll just ask Best Buy or something. I'd rather not contact the manufacturer they kept delaying my computer and had a few minor problems. Thanks though you helped me to learn a little about exactly what it is :)
    No problem :)
    I use Avast and also reboot once a month to make sure pesky win37 doesnt come back haha lol :)
  • Options
    Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2012
    Our church computer does this from time to time - and there are no sims on that! It's a display driver error in our case. Usually before the shut down the screen flickers on and off, goes black and then the pc is shut down because it can't recover from the error. It's intermittent, and seems to coincide with closing down a certain programme sfter use. In our case it's Songpro that is associated with the fault, in your case, apparrently Sims.

If you tell the error code to a help desk type they can probably tell you what's causing the problem.
  • Options
    cameranutz2cameranutz2 Posts: 941 New Member
    edited March 2012
    If it's happening with more than just the game, then it's not the game.

Offhand, nvlddmkm.dll is a file that corresponds to the nVidia drivers/video card. Googling "0x00000116" brings up results with video drivers (some even ATI/AMD) as well, so I'd start researching the video drivers/video card.

Are you overclocking your video card? Are GPU temperatures okay?

What OS (version of Windows) do you use?

What video card and driver version do you have, if you know?

Some of the later video drivers for nVidia (past version 275.33) have had TDR issues for many people, myself included. These seem more common with GeForce 400 and GeForce 500 (especially GF104 and GF114 GPUs), but they're not exclusive to those. I'm not sure what causes them myself. These aren't outright BSODs, but I suppose it's worth mentioning because maybe they could cause that too. If you want to try that driver version, uninstall your nVidia software and download and install nVidia Driver v275.33 (make sure to get the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version that corresponds with your OS type; you can find out what you have by right-clicking "Computer" and choosing "Properties" on Windows Vista or Windows 7).

You can do a Google search on "0x00000116" if you wish and see what else you can find. Googling the "STOP code", that first string of numbers (not necessarily the whole thing), can sometimes help.

Excellent advice considering the message plainly states there was an error while "attempting to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout"
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited March 2012
    IMHO - you have a virus or a memory problem. Here's a little history.

Ahem.. I built a scratch built computer. New mb, new cpu, new ram. First three weeks system ran great. During the fouth week I have an unexpected BSOD. Didn't think a whole lot about as the computer rebooted and ran ok. About a week and a half later I get another BSOD. OK so now I'm thinking there might be a problem. About a week later another DSOD. Now I know I have a problem. I tear the computer apart reseat connectors, change the power supply, double and triple check everything. Put computer back in service and about a week later DSOD. I switch memory modules around. About a week DSOD. Now I'm thinking I have the computer from the hot spot. During this period the DSOD's are coming a little faster. I rip out one of the memory modules and I STILL get DSOD. Take the existing modules out and replace it with the one I took out (only had 2 modules). Computer run for 2 weeks without a crash. Week three I purchased new dual channel memory models and the computer hasn't crashed since. Time to find problem about 3 months.

hth
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited March 2012
    Excellent advice considering the message plainly states there was an error while "attempting to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout"
    Haha, I didn't even notice that. I tend to have a habit to sometimes miss that since I go straight to the STOP code and/or files that caused it. My eyes skipped the rest presuming it was the generic stuff.
    *****7 wrote:
    IMHO - you have a virus or a memory problem. Here's a little history.
    BSODs can be anything. Given the clues in that screenshot, it's really, really looking like a video card and/or driver issue. The drivers are crashing and won't recover, so Windows halts.

I'd try the drivers I mentioned, check the temperatures of the video card (AIDA64, HWMonitor, Speccy, and others can report it, but you have to check while you're playing to get temperatures of what it's like when you're playing), and perhaps make sure you're playing with v-sync as a precaution.
  • Options
    ChenisaChenisa Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Hi, I had a pc built on all specs to run sims 3. I jad a couple of blue screen errors in the last 8 months. Recently I had the blue screen error, the guy who built the pc then told me it was a virus, the virus was removed, I think it was a win32 virus. He also replaced the cpu. After that, I played sims3 again and same thing happened, then I was told its the game, I uninstalled all my sims3 games and installed sims2 after 2/3 days of play the same thing happened. The blue screen message: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR 0x0000007a (0xc05bfa98, 0x000000e, 0xb7f53642, 0x61007860), any advice or suggetions on why this is happening would be appreciated! Tx
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited April 2013
    That is a Graphics driver error, the GPU stopped working and tried to recover, it times out, failed to communicate wit the rest of the computer in a timely manner.

It is NOT a virus. It may be a corrupt file in the drivers, it might be overheating, it might be the memory on the GPU failing.

First update the graphics drivers, even if you have the current drivers, download and install them again.

Then run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner and reboot your computer.

See if that stops the problem.

Life is what you make it so, make it good.