Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crazy split-leveling?

So I think I'm going mad trying to figure this out... :D I have a split-level first floor, with split-level stairs going into a nectar cellar. So far, everything's gone well (minus some headaches), but I've hit the road block that might end this project. Here's the ground floor - basement level:
2moyry8.png

As you can see, I have everything worked out. If this was a one-storey house, I'd be golden. But, there's this:
350s0tg.png

This is the ground floor - second story level. Where the empty floor tiles are (above the basement steps) is where I want to put the stairs to the second floor. But I can't cover the the space above the stairs because the game won't let me. I think it's because the Sims technically wouldn't be able to walk down the basement steps. Does anyone know a way around this? I could add the stairs to the raised level (so the base of the stairs would be level with the base of the door). But that would leave an empty space on the lower level and the Sims wouldn't be able to access the stairs.

It's not like the stair placement will make or break this house, but I'm trying to model it after a house I lived in, so I want it to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Comments

• Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited March 2012
    You can place stairs on top of one another. I just did it in the house I built 2 weeks ago. What I found was you have to put the upper floor first, then put the stairs on top. So build walls around to make your 3rd floor (2nd floor from ground) then put the flooring on that floor, then place your stairs on top of the basement stairs.

Did that make sense? :?: :?:

I can take a screenshot of my house where I placed stairs on top of one another if you can give me a few minutes to fire up the game.
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    AngelicMiseryAngelicMisery Posts: 397 New Member
    edited March 2012
    Makes sense to me! It worked pretty well, I think. You can see the bottom of the second-floor stairs from the basement stairs, which I like, but others might not. One thing I noticed though is that there isn't a little triangle section in between the back of the stairs and the wall/floor. It may just be the way I placed them, so I'll have to tweak it a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, it might not be directly on top of each other...I think when I placed mine I had to place them a little in front of the lower ones (I really don't remember though...), but anyway here is the pic of my stairs on top of one another.

Screenshot-22-2.jpg

I know how you feel. I knew I had seen others do this in their houses, and when I went to do it, I was practically banging my head on my laptop trying to figure it out. Once I got it, it was sooo simple! :P
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited March 2012
    You can place stairs on top of one another. I just did it in the house I built 2 weeks ago. What I found was you have to put the upper floor first, then put the stairs on top. So build walls around to make your 3rd floor (2nd floor from ground) then put the flooring on that floor, then place your stairs on top of the basement stairs.

I can take a screenshot of my house where I placed stairs on top of one another if you can give me a few minutes to fire up the game.

Wow, I didn't know this! Cool. I don't build much so simple tricks like this miss me completely!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yep, it was just how I placed them.
    2m47uaa.png

I added another wall right above the base of the basement steps were, added some tile, and placed a single section of stairs one the lower level of the first story.
    34xrfrl.png

Only problem is that there are only three open tiles now, so it might cause some clipping when Sims try to walk down the basement steps. I'll have to test it if I upload.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, it might not be directly on top of each other...I think when I placed mine I had to place them a little in front of the lower ones (I really don't remember though...), but anyway here is the pic of my stairs on top of one another.

Screenshot-22-2.jpg

I know how you feel. I knew I had seen others do this in their houses, and when I went to do it, I was practically banging my head on my laptop trying to figure it out. Once I got it, it was sooo simple! :P

This looks great! I think all build mode things are like that: entirely frustrating but extremely cool when you get it to work right. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:

Wow, I didn't know this! Cool. I don't build much so simple tricks like this miss me completely!

:P

I'm still finding the little hidden in-game stuff that a lot of people found back when the base game came out. I build more than actually sitting down and playing, so it's the other way around for me! :lol:
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    MinDtriKz wrote:

:P

I'm still finding the little hidden in-game stuff that a lot of people found back when the base game came out. I build more than actually sitting down and playing, so it's the other way around for me! :lol:

Same here. I build a lot, but this is my first house with split-levels, so I've learned a lot.

And yay! No clipping! The stairs can stay where they are! I wish the railing didn't stick through walls and other railings, though. I had to delete all of mine. :|