Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW not saving in Edit in Game!

I've been working on this world for a very, very long time and now all of a sudden it won't save in Edit in Game! says save failed system error. Also getting message when I close out CAW Access to path Worldbuilder\RecentItems.txt is denied WTH?!? Please some experienced computer person or CAW expert help me! Please!

Comments

• Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited March 2012
    Try clearing the Sims 3 and CAW caches as outlined here:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

Make sure you run CAW without any Sims 3 CC installed- even though CAW cannot use CAS parts (hair, makeup etc) or most mods, they will still be read by CAW and EIG. So removing them will free up a lot of resources.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    Faith_AndhopeFaith_Andhope Posts: 4,468 Member
    edited March 2012
    simsample wrote:
    Try clearing the Sims 3 and CAW caches as outlined here:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

Make sure you run CAW without any Sims 3 CC installed- even though CAW cannot use CAS parts (hair, makeup etc) or most mods, they will still be read by CAW and EIG. So removing them will free up a lot of resources.

I actually did not know this about CAW reading CC while operating. I guess it makes sense now that I think of it. I have a question about uninstalling all CC from the game (because I never do :) )

Do you really UNINSTALL all your CC and then have to reinstall it if you want to play? Or is it sufficient to check the box on the launcher that says something like "run without CC"?

I ask because I play with a lot of CC but don't put any in my worlds. I am currently working on my largest world ever and want to make it as painless for myself as possible, and freeing up resources sounds great!

But when I get tired of working on the world and need a break, I go play a game for awhile. But that is only for a few hours or a day or two at most and then I'm back to working on the world again. But when I am playing for relaxation I want to be able to enjoy my game and I use a LOT of CC in the games I play. So what is the most 'painless' way to do what you said, "Make sure you run CAW without any Sims 3 CC installed" while still being able to play my game when I want to?

Thanks so much.
  • Options
    SouthernSimSouthernSim Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for your help! I'm going to go try following the directions on that link and see what happens.
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited March 2012
    Do you really UNINSTALL all your CC and then have to reinstall it if you want to play? Or is it sufficient to check the box on the launcher that says something like "run without CC"?
    Don't go to all that trouble! Instead, keep a special Sims 3 folder for running CAW.

So, drag documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 to the desktop, then run the game to generate a fresh one.

That way you have a completely fresh set of 'vanilla' (unmodded) files for use when you are creating with CAW, and you can use that for testing your world, too. When you want to play the Sims 3 again, just drag the 'vanilla' Sims 3 folder to a safe place, and drag the one from your desktop back in. Then, all of your CC will be back in game.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    simsample wrote:
    Don't go to all that trouble! Instead, keep a special Sims 3 folder for running CAW.

So, drag documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 to the desktop, then run the game to generate a fresh one.

That way you have a completely fresh set of 'vanilla' (unmodded) files for use when you are creating with CAW, and you can use that for testing your world, too. When you want to play the Sims 3 again, just drag the 'vanilla' Sims 3 folder to a safe place, and drag the one from your desktop back in. Then, all of your CC will be back in game.

Omg. I am working on my third world and I never knew this. I thought I had read most of what was available for learning to do this, but I never came across this before -- or I did, but forgot it.

Thanks so much. Now I just have to make sure I have the "right" files in the "right" place when I am working and playing. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ok, this was a great idea and my program is running better without all the extra stuff in the Sims folder. BUT when I went to edit my game, none of the things I have saved to my library are there anymore. I had built lots to place in my world and saved them to the library.

So if I am going to run in "vanilla" mode while editing in CAW, how do I access the stuff I had previously saved to my library?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2012
    Ok, this was a great idea and my program is running better without all the extra stuff in the Sims folder. BUT when I went to edit my game, none of the things I have saved to my library are there anymore. I had built lots to place in my world and saved them to the library.

So if I am going to run in "vanilla" mode while editing in CAW, how do I access the stuff I had previously saved to my library?

Thanks.

Hi,

Your lots are in the Library folder in the other The Sims 3. You can copy the old folder into the new The Sims 3 folder.

If you are using Store items such as Riverview, make sure you have them installed in your Caw Version of TS3 folder (you can go to your old TS3 folder/Downloads and double click the Sims3packs from there). :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rflong7 wrote:

Thanks.

Hi,

Your lots are in the Library folder in the other The Sims 3. You can copy the old folder into the new The Sims 3 folder.

If you are using Store items such as Riverview, make sure you have them installed in your Caw Version of TS3 folder (you can go to your old TS3 folder/Downloads and double click the Sims3packs from there). :)

Great, thanks! I was hoping it would be something that easy. I wasn't sure if moving the folder completely like that removed them from the game in such a way that I would have to try to reinstall them. Thank you!