Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac hangs on exit after patch.

I suspect the patch has hurt my game. Half the time it gives me initialization errors when I start the game. If I actually do get a game started, things look fine, but when I quit out, the game screen goes black as usual, but then it never goes to desktop. The whole Mac just hangs and has to be hard-booted to recover. It doesn't do this unless I actually play a household--if I'm just editing a world that I have no active Sims in, it exits fine.

I'm suspecting Simport, since it probably likes Macs about as well as the ingame Store does. I'll try disabling Simport and cross my fingers. But has anybody else seen this problem and resolved it, before I go reinvent the wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited March 2012
    The Simport experiment was a big success. At the Main Menu I just made sure I wasn't logged in. I played my Sim in LL for an hour or so, then quit out. Everything was fine.

Next: to see if I can just log out of Simport ingame before quitting so it doesn't crash my entire Mac.
  • Options
    SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited March 2012
    I know nobody is answering you yet but I just wanted to post and let you know I appreciate you reporting on your situation and what works and what doesn't work, in case I run across the same thing. So far I haven't applied the patch because my older model MacbookPro is already struggling with Pets. I will however, try it at some point maybe on this computer, and definitely on the next I plan on buying next month.
  • Options
    PinkPanda10PinkPanda10 Posts: 37
    edited March 2012
    Hello,
    Yep had this problem to :( had to keep pressing off key to actually get out of the game. It seems to have settled down now but I cannot save anything i make ingame. :( so i guess it is the usual problem with new patches and mac's
    hope yours is still running well.
    tc
    Pink
  • Options
    cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2012
    My game has been doing this, too, since the patch. And last night for the first time ever I got the dreaded "Error 12" when trying to save and exit my game. That may not be related I don't know. I have a really large family going at the moment.

But since the patch, my game has also started to crash unexpectedly after playing for a long time, which it never did before, but it could be just a coincidence (bad timing) because my family, as I said, has grown so large.

Both times the in-game "cider stopped working" crashes happened, I'd been playing for a long time and at the exact moment of the crash a lot was going on on the screen (2 teens were trying to go to the prom, and then two teens trying to graduate and everyone in the family rushing the ceremony), so I can't say for sure that those particular crashes weren't just me overloading the game and my computer with processes or something. But the hang on exit problem has been consistent and happens no matter what family I'm playing or how long I've been playing, and I've always had to "force quit" the application to make it stop running.

But I did notice some interesting error messages in my Console around the time of the most recent Sims 3 exit/crash and the Error 12. One of them included a URL to a Sims server and said it couldn't find a file (I'll post the error later -- I'm on another computer right now), so I'm going to try logging out before I exit next time to see if that stops the application from hanging on exit. because I have been logged in every time I've played since the update. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

ETA: This is the error message I had in my console log that coincides with the last crash I had. Not sure if it's relevant.

3/4/12 9:37:21 PM cider[260] Could not obtain patch manifest at http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/sims3sp05_sku1_update_manifest.xml : The requested URL was not found on this server. (-1100)

Also, the log file was littered with dozens of these errors all with the same time stamp:

3/4/12 9:37:21 PM cider[260] Patch manifest is missing the NewLauncherTargetHigh attribute

3/4/12 9:37:21 PM [0x0-0x27027].com.transgaming.thesims3sp05 2012-03-04 21:37:21.372 cider[260:903] Patch manifest is missing the NewLauncherTargetHigh attribute

Maybe it'll mean something to some developer if they're paying attention to these forums. EA Tech support doesn't seem to even read the log file info I send them. As a Mac user I have not found that route helpful at all in solving these problems.

C.

ps: I'm using a 17" MacBookPro and I don't have any mods or CC installed, just stuff purchased from the Sims 3 store. I updated to Snow Leopard after the 1.29 patch to stop the game from crashing on launch, and it had been working great. I hope the next step isn't updating to Lion because after reading about all the Sims compatibility problems with that OS, I really don't want to install it. :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    CaptainTHPS4CaptainTHPS4 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2012
    Are any of you sharing memories? I haven't installed the newest patch, but I found that every play session I share memories and then try to exit it hangs on the black screen. I suspect there's some kind of problem when the game is connected to the server which is why using the new social networking features causes the same issue.
    My YouTube Channel!
    youtube.com/IronSeagull
  • Options
    cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2012
    I played the game just now without logging in and it exited fine. No hanging at all.

So the online connection seems to be the issue. I'm going to go back and test what happens if I log in mid-game, but log out before I exit, because of course if we can't log in without risking our game crashing, then it defeats the purpose of having the online features, which I was finding kinda fun (the achievement badges etc.).

My Console, however, is still reporting a lot of errors related to whatever a "patch manifest" is and the game still wants to connect to that URL I listed in my previous post that doesn't work. What is that all about? Hmmmm. It's a mystery.

C.
  • Options
    jb6503jb6503 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited February 2013
    cchant86 wrote:

ETA: This is the error message I had in my console log that coincides with the last crash I had. Not sure if it's relevant.

3/4/12 9:37:21 PM cider[260] Could not obtain patch manifest at http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/sims3sp05_sku1_update_manifest.xml : The requested URL was not found on this server. (-1100)

Also, the log file was littered with dozens of these errors all with the same time stamp:

3/4/12 9:37:21 PM cider[260] Patch manifest is missing the NewLauncherTargetHigh attribute

3/4/12 9:37:21 PM [0x0-0x27027].com.transgaming.thesims3sp05 2012-03-04 21:37:21.372 cider[260:903] Patch manifest is missing the NewLauncherTargetHigh attribute

Maybe it'll mean something to some developer if they're paying attention to these forums. EA Tech support doesn't seem to even read the log file info I send them. As a Mac user I have not found that route helpful at all in solving these problems.

C.

ps: I'm using a 17" MacBookPro and I don't have any mods or CC installed, just stuff purchased from the Sims 3 store. I updated to Snow Leopard after the 1.29 patch to stop the game from crashing on launch, and it had been working great. I hope the next step isn't updating to Lion because after reading about all the Sims compatibility problems with that OS, I really don't want to install it. :)

i am getting those same error messages! this thread was from a while ago, have you found a cure? thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    edited February 2013
    Are you doing the: 'quit, just exit' or 'save and quit' way of quitting? Through save and quit I also have this problem, but if I just save first and then quit and just exit I don't have this problem anymore.