Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Expansion Reccomendations.

Hi all! I am looking to buy a few expansion and/or stuff packs, which ones do you like the most and why? I am really interested in Pets, Generations, and Late Night. Can you give me any bonus information on these? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Julia526Julia526 Posts: 4,194 Member
    edited February 2012
    In order of how much I use them

Generations
    Late Night
    Pets.

I would warn you though to check your computer specs if you choose to get pets, just in case ( I hope someone else can elaborate on it)
  • Options
    Eden777Eden777 Posts: 1,263 Member
    edited February 2012
    I played Late Night the most, but not so much Generations or Pets.
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited February 2012
    Pets:
    It's pretty similar to the pets for Sims 2. It's adorable. You can have dogs, cats, and little animals like turtles or lizards. But in this one you can also have horses. And I must say that having a horse is incredibly fun. You can have them compete in competitions and it's just a really sweet game. And you can actually control the pets in this one so that's a plus!

Late Night:
    This was actually a favorite of mine. Your sims can become celebrities, the acting/producing career was added, and there are dive bars, clubs, and really nice places to go for a night on the town. :) It's really fun if your sims are more easy going and not so family oriented.

Generations:
    This is also a really great one. It adds cute things to do for kid sims (Like play dress up and pretend to preside over your royal quart!) and it adds pranks, prom, and punishments for your teen sims. Your parents can ground the kids if they do bad things! It's a really cute EP. Memories are also added.

If I were to pic one for you, I would probably choose Generations. The other two are wonderful, but Generations was the one that really renewed the game for me. It really makes TS3 enjoyable again :)
  • Options
    TheBuntingFamilyTheBuntingFamily Posts: 186
    edited February 2012
    Late night is the best sims 3 expansion in my opinion.
    There is so much to do, plus I LOVE playing in the city.
    Its so fun.
  • Options
    n00biityon00biityo Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited February 2012
    All three are very nice additions to the game.

Pets is awesome!
    *There's a nice selection of small animals you can keep
    *Horses are a new exciting experience to the game
    *Appaloosa plains looks amazing
    *Lots of beautiful new objects
    *Unicorns
    *Wildlife
    *You can control the pets directly

Generations is awesome!
    *Adds game-play for all ages
    *New fun stuff for kids to do such as tree-house, costume chest, boyscouts, ballet
    *Teens can go to prom and do pranks
    *There are after school activities to boost up skills
    *Lots of fun trophies and rewards
    *Adult sims can get a mid-life crisis
    *Elders get a cane and new interactions
    *New fun objects like baby strollers and video recorder

Late Night is awesome!
    *Clubs, bars, lounges etc.
    *New clubdance
    *Mixology skill and cool new drinks
    *Vampires
    *Celebs (if you like that type of thing)
    *Skinny dipping
    *Hut tubs
    *Dating

All of these have their drawbacks but I've spent enough time on this as I'd like to. even though WA and Ambitions are pretty nice EPs as well they are too goal oriented for my taste.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited February 2012
    I'd say it depends on your style of game play -- if you like to play young single Sims I'd go with Late Night because it's about going out and having fun and meeting people. The town (Bridgeport) isn't really set up for families except for a few small houses outside of the city and the big mansions on the hill. Most of the apartments I've seen have been too small for more than one or two Sims especially if you have one who works from home (you didn't mention Ambitions but that's my favorite because of being able to work from home). A lot of people have had problems with lagging as well because there are some glitches like spawning cars or homeless Sims clogging up things.

Generations is great if you play families, because it adds a lot to the game. One thing I've finally figured out how to do is to have a Sim read a child a bedtime story:

6786678546_10cd134b70.jpg

It's really cute -- the kid falls asleep in the middle of the reading, and the adult Sim bends over and gives the child a goodnight kiss. One of the things from Sims 2 I missed was the tucking into bed interaction, but this at least is close. 8) The big drawback with Generations is the memory system; everyone in your town gets memories and eventually they can clog up the game. You can clear them out by deleting a certain file (TravelDB) from your game save folder, or you can turn them off with mods; Twallan's Master Controller is one that has the capability.

If your computer is capable of handling Pets (it's really graphics-intensive; if your graphics card is more than a couple of years old I wouldn't recommend it) I'd probably say it's my favorite, especially horses -- you can use the horses to go places just as you would a car or a bike, and the interactions are really nice between the human Sims and the animals, even the minor animals (you can catch a large bird and teach it to talk, for example). I also like the town that came with it, Appaloosa Plains; it's got a nice country feel to it.

Anyway, just my $0.02 -- think about what your computer can handle and your style of gameplay, then make your choice.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)