Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the best time to have a child?

I don't want my sims to have a child to soon, but I don't want them to turn into elders when my sim is a teen. Should they have her when they are YA or A??

(Sorry for making a thread for this when i could have changed my pic thread :oops: :oops: )

Comments

• Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited February 2012
    i usualy try to aim for the beginning of adulthood to try for baby. i dont want too many sims hanging around the house than i need there to be, so i want the parents to die off more or less when im transitioning to the next gen. somewhere between the beginning and middle of adult stage usualy does the trick
  • Options
    Sims3Lvr88Sims3Lvr88 Posts: 636 New Member
    edited February 2012
    I usually have my sims have kids around YA stage. then by the time their adult, the kids are usually Teens. But I have my life expectancy on a high setting for YA and Adult so they live longer in those stages.
  • Options
    mvandemvande Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited February 2012
    Oh, ok. Thanks!
  • Options
    TheChronicRTheChronicR Posts: 1,294 New Member
    edited February 2012
    I used to hurry to get my sim a partner, a job and a baby, in so called "legacy style", however that got old quick. I decided to be more laid back, relaxed this time around, and, guess what, it worked. I had my sim get a partner after 5 days of living in the neighborhood only, and only one week later did they engage, followed by the wedding. It really wasn't before she reached her adulthood that her offspring was a child.
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited February 2012
    The best time to have a kid is when the husband and wife are getting along. :lol:

Seriously I think that when sims are YA they are more fertile. Adult sims have a harder time becoming pregnant. If you want to have a really big family, then the best time to start would be when they are YA. :)
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    MingleMasherMingleMasher Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2012
    My current family had their oldest when they were in the middle of YA, they had another not long after and then waited til they were adults for the rest and are now expecting their 5th within days of the woman becoming an elder. My man is ready for dead.
    Films/Games/TS4/Books
    RPO_MAIN_VERT_DOM_2764x4096_master-e1518551513181.jpg
  • Options
    papertonguepapertongue Posts: 130 Member
    edited February 2012
    I feel it all comes down to personal preference. Generally, I get my Sims pregnant ASAP when they're YAs, even before marriage or even moving in with their significant other!
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited February 2012
    Sims3Lvr88 wrote:
    I usually have my sims have kids around YA stage. then by the time their adult, the kids are usually Teens. But I have my life expectancy on a high setting for YA and Adult so they live longer in those stages.

This is also what i do......

that way...after the kids have grown and moved out....theres still plenty of time
    to goof off...or even travel...before their too old...to enjoy it...
  • Options
    mvandemvande Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited February 2012
    oh, well they are almost A and I am having them have their first child...if she gets preggers(she will :P) then I think I will just go with that baby and move-on with the babys generation. I don't want them to have more then 1 or 2 children.
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    edited February 2012
    4pm

;)
  • Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited February 2012
    I usually have my sims have a baby near the end of their YA lifespan. This way they have time to gain a decent career. Once in a great while I'll have them have their kids right at the beginning of their YA lifespan.

I also change the kids lifespan...babies are usually 1 day, toddlers 5-6 days (to get their potty, walking and talking skills done) without feeling rushed, children are about 10 days, and teens are about 15 days. The parents, have a long adult lifespan (the YA lifespan is usually a little shorter than the adult span). This allows them remain adults while their children are teens. Sometimes, they will age up to *elder before the child ages up to YA, but the kid will age up a few sim days after the adults age up to elder.

:D

*edit
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    TankadankaTankadanka Posts: 793 Member
    edited February 2012
    I used to hurry to get my sim a partner, a job and a baby, in so called "legacy style", however that got old quick. I decided to be more laid back, relaxed this time around, and, guess what, it worked. I had my sim get a partner after 5 days of living in the neighborhood only, and only one week later did they engage, followed by the wedding. It really wasn't before she reached her adulthood that her offspring was a child.

This, for me.

I haven't done it yet, but my Legacy founder had her kids about midway into YA stage which wasn't bad because I sent them to boarding schools. But after that the subsequent generations I would marry them off ASAP and have kids thinking getting it out of the way would clear up more time.

Turns out it just makes me want to get rid of the previous generation more quickly and I didn't play them to the fullest.

So now I want to slow down a little and wait til they're older and maybe even after completing their LTW. My last generation was a drag because I focused too much on wishes (the husband wanted 10 kids, so I was like /sunglasses Challenge accepted) but all it did was annoy me since the Heir was an ambitious workaholic and by the time the husband was a level 10 director (his LTW) she was still just a level 4 actress (her LTW) from all the maternity leave with 1 teen, 4 children Children and 3 toddlers (I have the mod that increases how many sims in one household for this reason :XD:.)

But, I'd say mid or late YA would be a good enough time. If you don't age them up early and play on normal, the kids are, from baby to YA, about 31 days I think. So if you have your kids midway into the YA stage (like 12/21 days) They'll age into YAs the day after you turn into an Elder.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2012
    My sims usually have their babies at the start of young adulthood, when they are struggling financially.Mainly for two reasons, firstly I usually can't wait to see their offspring and secondly, once reproduction is out of the way, they can concentrate on their careers.
  • Options
    adreannarockstar11adreannarockstar11 Posts: 66 New Member
    edited May 2013
    My sims usually complete their lifetime wishes before having kids. For me it's not about the age, it's about when they're financially ready. In my current household, my sims Derek and Hannah just got engaged. They have both completed their LTW. Derek is an astronaut and Hannah is a chef. I purchased some lifetime rewards for Hannah that will help her be a better parent. She's goin to quit her job and become a self employed painter so she can be a stay at home mom as well. Derek will just keep working every Monday. That way the can still bring in the dough! :) I didn't want them getting too old however, so I turned off aging 15 days before becoming adults. That way they won't be too old or too young! I'm going to turn it back on as soon as she is ready to have children. I think I'm going to have them travel a bit first. You miss out on a lot when you have children. That's why I do all the things I want to do beforehand so I can experience the game a lot more!
  • Options
    keene61keene61 Posts: 259 Member
    edited May 2013
    You miss out on a lot when you have children. That's why I do all the things I want to do beforehand so I can experience the game a lot more!

I never thought about this before. In my most recent household, the wife had the LTW of raising 5 children. I normally only do one or two kids per generation because not only is the file smaller, but there are fewer family members to pay attention to and invite to parties. She had her children after her husband and her were financially stable. The first child was during the middle of the YA stage, so about fifteen days after I began the game. Twins, a single, then twins again, all before adulthood.

Now, three are teens and two are children and the husband just turned adult. As for lifetime wants, the wife is more than halfway and the husband wants to save 30 people but I had this weird glitch where he was at 25 and then suddenly, he was at 0. I was so mad.

And I never got them to travel :/
  • Options
    DrataniDratani Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2013
    It depends a lot on what kind of sim I'm playing with. Before I hated having kids, so I'd usually wait until the very end of adulthood. That way, my sims got the most out of their lives and had a chance to get great careers - maybe even several. But, after Generations came out I really enjoy having kids and also it's no fun to have parents that are Elder when the kid is a toddler. I'd say the very beginning of Adult is the best imo (:
    powerpuff-girls-criminals-costume.jpg
  • Options
    angldiorangldior Posts: 4,379 Member
    edited May 2013
    Never :D
  • Options
    Cate_0014Cate_0014 Posts: 765 New Member
    edited May 2013
    For me, it depends on the couple I am playing. If they are still living with parents and/or in laws, and/or siblings, I wait a while. If the couple is on their own, I usually start once they both get established in their careers.
  • Options
    adreannarockstar11adreannarockstar11 Posts: 66 New Member
    edited May 2013
    keene61 wrote:
    You miss out on a lot when you have children. That's why I do all the things I want to do beforehand so I can experience the game a lot more!

I never thought about this before. In my most recent household, the wife had the LTW of raising 5 children. I normally only do one or two kids per generation because not only is the file smaller, but there are fewer family members to pay attention to and invite to parties. She had her children after her husband and her were financially stable. The first child was during the middle of the YA stage, so about fifteen days after I began the game. Twins, a single, then twins again, all before adulthood.

Now, three are teens and two are children and the husband just turned adult. As for lifetime wants, the wife is more than halfway and the husband wants to save 30 people but I had this weird glitch where he was at 25 and then suddenly, he was at 0. I was so mad.

And I never got them to travel :/

Traveling is SO MUCH FUN! I used to absolutely hate world adventures but that was because I wasn't doing the actual adventures! Lol! I got bored I guess. But now my sims have been to china twice. I'm about to send them a third time! Right now I'm working on getting pangu's Axe :) i haven't been to France and Egypt yet but I'm definitely going to before having kids! Since I have aging off right now I have all the time I could possibly need! At times I really find myself wanting kids but then I think about all the gameplay I'm missing out on. I don't want my sims tied down just yet. I want to fill my scrapbook with tons of memories I can look back on before they die :) and do it all over again with the next generation! I would definitely recommend to all you guys, experience the game before tying yourself down with children.. It's kind of like real life. You don't get to do as much when you have children! You have hardly any time at all.
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited May 2013
    Well,
    It really depends on the person. If you feel you're ready to have a child then--...

Oh, you meant The Sims. :shock:
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    yorkipooluvryorkipooluvr Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    I'm real easygoing about it... Usually by 10 days before becoming adults my sim is pregnant (based on the 21 days of being a YA and 21 for being A which is standard). So, my youngest child is usually a toddler and the oldest is mid to late child or early teen, by the time my olders sims are adults :D
  • Options
    annavanheussannavanheuss Posts: 201 Member
    edited May 2013
    One important question you need to ask yourself is do you want only one pregnancy or will there me more after the first? If you are only going to let them have only one I would say then timing is not really that important just as long as you allow them enough time to raise it to at least the teen years before they become elders. Having elders raising babies and children really cramps their style. On the other hand having multiple pregnancies requires better planning and you need to start earlier. Another question you need to ask yourself is do you want time for them to stay adults for a while after they have finished raising children? In either case how long you want to wait depends on how long you have your Sim life stages set for. Decide when you want you children to age to different stages in the life of the parents and simply count back from there.
  • Options
    SimSimmer3SimSimmer3 Posts: 218 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Once they reach their maximum job level :D
  • Options
    beaglelover2008beaglelover2008 Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited May 2013
    When you have a ton of money. :D

Or when you're good and ready. hehe. I can't figure if you mean rl or not. ;)
  • Options
    melissam311554melissam311554 Posts: 824 Member
    edited May 2013
    I try to be laid back and allow them to have children at late YA/early A stage, but it hardly ever works out that way. I like my sims to be established in careers, with a decent chunk of money saved up, and a nice house which can be expanded on if it needs to be.

I admit, my legacy founder got hurried into marriage because his spouse-to-be had gotten pregnant and I needed to get things in order. Whoever is the gen 2 heir, though, I'm going to try and take it slow, especially if Naima ends up as heir -- she is not travelling to Starlight Shores to persue a dream of being a singer to have a baby early. She is one sim who is definitely going to wait for marriage and babies.