Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Input -- Lifetime Wishes, Personalities, and Goals

Hi, I've been thinking about The Sims 3 as a whole in relation to its predecessor, and I just have some comments to make about it-- hopefully something to keep in mind as you move into its sequels. Keep in mind I think of the Sims as more of a game, and less of a dollhouse.

> I don't feel like I'm working towards a goal when I play. There are lifetime wishes, but they're not very engaging to me considering they offer me no reward beyond what could be obtained through normal wishes, even if it's a larger lump sum.

It's always disappointing when you trek through a dangerous dungeon or extensive quest only to receive a sum of gold as opposed to some legendary weapon or wondrous item-- the same concept applies to Lifetime Wishes.

Solution: Make Lifetime Wish Rewards something a Sim could not obtain under normal circumstances.

> All lifetime wishes reward you in the exact same way. If different lifetime wishes rewarded different Sims in different ways, I would have more reasons to play more Sims, more reasons to make my Sims different from one another, and more reasons to play longer legacies of Sims. Essentially, I could collect lifetime rewards through out a single play throughout.

Would this reduce my propensity to play smaller families? I don't think so; if I played a smaller family I could spread out lifetime wishes for more generations, and obviously it's also easier to accomplish each individual's lifetime wish by having to manage less Sims.

Solution: Different Lifetime Rewards for different Lifetime Wishes

> This point is two-fold. While I like the traits system in defining personalities because it does allow for some interesting personality quirks, it can leave a lot of holes-- this makes some Sims seem incomplete. The way the personality system worked in Sims 2 was good too, but it didn't allow their personalities to explore much beyond those five scales.

Solution: Combine the two systems.
Suggestion: Return all five of the personality scales from TS2, and allow Sims for 3 traits to further develop their personalities. Why all five scales? They ensure that no matter what traits one chooses for a Sim, there is a basis for their interactions and relation with other Sims. Traits would polish a Sims personality and define characteristics the scales could not, such as "Dog Lover" or "Flirty".

> Last, but not least, I liked the way memories worked in the Sims 2 SO MUCH MORE than how they are in The Sims 3. I do not care for screen shots, in particular since they're kind of poor most of the time. I've never bothered to back through my character's memories, but I did rather like the way memories impacted my Sims' lives in Sims 2. But I suppose I also never had lag problems because of it.

Thanks to whoever bothered to read this whole thing; I certainly appreciate it. I just wish I could know if someone from EA bothers to take a look.

Comments

• Options
    CurlykatzCurlykatz Posts: 338 Member
    edited January 2012
    I definitely agree with most of your suggestions! Especially with the personalities; it would be awesome if the traits you chose had more of an impact on your sims lives, ie. if they were clumsy, they would do more than just trip over their own feet occasionally (which don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching too!), but when it's the only thing that trait does it's kinda boring. It would be good if it meant they could drop and break stuff, or injure themselves like cutting themselves when chopping food for cooking, or tripping over stuff and having to go to the hospital to get a cast on their arm or something. It would be a lot more entertaining to watch and play with; I do miss a lot of the weird humour that the sims 2 seemed to have.
    And this should happen with all of the traits, for it all to be more in depth and interesting to see the impacts :)

PLUS. I would love it if you could change their traits that they had when they were a child and teen, when they grow up to a young adult; everyone changes when they grow up! So it would be awesome to make them a rebellious and evil child, but then when they grow up they become a really nice adult! :)