The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play? Need your feedback!

Hi there!

So I'm curious how y'all play your game. I'm torn on what to do right now and I'd like your ideas and feedback if you have a few minutes.

1.) Do you play one hood exclusively or bounce around to all of them and please tell me what your favorite hood is and why.

2.) Do you play one family exclusively in your hood or do you play the exisiting families as well giving each lot a little bit of your time?

3.) Do you play with Story Progression on or off? If you play with it on... please give me your opinion on why you enjoy this style and how many families you are playing. Also do the sims automatically move in and out of the hood then? If they move out do you get notification re: it and what if your sim is in love with a neighbor who moves? Do the lots move with them or just the sims change in the lots? Okay lots of Q's but I'm a little scared to play with Story Progression on lol.

4.) If you play with aging off are you playing with multiple lots or just one family?

I am considering this:...
2 seperate hoods. One with a single family I consistantly and exclusively play with story progression on. The second with aging off so I can play all the families and age them up with birthday cakes sort of a sims 2 style hood.

Comments

• Options
    Julia526Julia526 Posts: 4,194 Member
    edited January 2012
    I used to play all different sorts of familys, constantly starting new games, then I played a legacy until it got corrupted, now I really just into modeling and building

1) I bounce around, but I play Sunset Valley and Hidden Springs because of the characters, and Appolosia Plains for the lot sizes

2)I only play the families I make

3) I play with it on because I hate how in TS2 my sim would met someone in high school, then grow up and I would have to go play the other family just to get the other person older.

4) I never play with aging off, see reason 3)
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited January 2012
    I would love to answer the topic question with "Upside down while bungie jumping," but that would be a blatant lie.

1) Tend to stick with one exclusively since I do a lot of work on my game communities to match my own style.

2) Only families I make.

3) I play Sims 2 right now, so...

4) Aging on, even though I could turn it off, at the moment.
  • Options
    KizzyLoveKizzyLove Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited January 2012
    My favorite neighborhood is Appaloosa Plains because all the great community lots. I've been only playing my legacy family and they're based there. I also like Bridgeport though.

I only play one family per save. If I want to play a premade I'll start a new save for them.

I play with SP on. I also have the mod for, I like the idea of the rest of the town growing up with me. But really, I only care about the family I'm playing so as long as everyone is aging up I don't care what they're doing.

I'd still only play one family even if aging is off.
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited January 2012

1.) Do you play one hood exclusively or bounce around to all of them and please tell me what your favorite hood is and why.

I have many hoods going...maybe 7 i believe....my favs are AP...BB...and HS

2.) Do you play one family exclusively in your hood or do you play the exisiting families as well giving each lot a little bit of your time?

I have legacys going right now in 3 hoods...i try to play just those in that family line

3.) Do you play with Story Progression on or off? If you play with it on... please give me your opinion on why you enjoy this style and how many families you are playing. Also do the sims automatically move in and out of the hood then? If they move out do you get notification re: it and what if your sim is in love with a neighbor who moves? Do the lots move with them or just the sims change in the lots? Okay lots of Q's but I'm a little scared to play with Story Progression on lol.

i play with it on....and no you don't get notification per say....unless you read the newspaper everday that someone has moved

4.) If you play with aging off are you playing with multiple lots or just one family?

i play with it on...

• Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    edited January 2012
    I normally just play one neighborhood. I try them all out when they are released, but I always go back to playing in Sunset Valley just because I like it's setup the most.

I only play one family throughout all of the generations. But I do keep tabs and do things for townies with Twallan's Master Controller and SP mods. If I want a couple in town to have a baby, I will give them either an instant baby or pollinate 'em. That's about as involved with the other families as I get.

I play with Story Progression on...but I don't use EA's story progression, I use Twallan's. His lets me customize what I want and allow to happen. No family moves out because I have it set that way.

I always have aging on. I don't like switching households much in TS3. It was fine in TS2, and I enjoyed it. But I guess because the world is open, I prefer to have everyone age and move on with their lives on their own.
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited January 2012
    Tazzianna wrote:

My favorite hood is Sunset Valley. In my opinion it is the best-made EA hood because it not only well-thought out, it is also well-laid out and includes a bit of everything. Plus, well, I've played it since the very beginning and I think I may have just gotten attached to it over the years. :wink:

As far as playing a hood exclusively or bouncing around, it really depends on my mood. Usually I get bored if I play a hood or a save too long, but now that I'm doing a clean re-install (don't ask) I'm going to try to stick with one or two saves, more than likely both being in Sunset Valley. :P
    Tazzianna wrote:

See above. Although I used to bounce around from family to family. But this time around, I'm going to try not to be so ADD. :XD:
    Tazzianna wrote:

I do play with SP on, HOWEVER--I do not use EA's Story Progression. I use Twallan's. His SP is much better than EA's. With Twallan's, sims do NOT move out of the hood unless you allow them to. They do not move houses unless you allow them to as well. You get notified on all sim activity unless you turn the option to be notified off.

EA's SP is to be used with caution, however. With EA's SP, sims will move in and out of town at their will. They will change houses, spawn babies, get married, etc at their own discretion. There is NO way to choose which options you want unless you turn SP off all together. This is why many players download and install Twallan's SP. It gives simmers indefinite ways of control and the peace of mind that their precious sims won't do anything they don't tell them to while they are not being played. A lot of people like the idea of EA's SP, they just don't like what it does. So that's why there are people like Twallan out there creating better options for us.
    Tazzianna wrote:

N/A.
  • Options
    TazziannaTazzianna Posts: 141 Member
    edited January 2012
    Ok I am reading about Twallan's SP and I have but one more question for those of you playing EA SP or Twallan's SP and that is... does playing SP eventually cause more lag in the game?
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited January 2012
    Tazzianna wrote:
    Ok I am reading about Twallan's SP and I have but one more question for those of you playing EA SP or Twallan's SP and that is... does playing SP eventually cause more lag in the game?

Not that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. Twallan's mods (not just SP, but all of them) do an exceptional job of cleaning up all of the unwanted junk/bad coding in your game. So, if any of the SPs cause lag, it would have to be EA's, not Twallan's.

Other things that tend to cause lag are memories, abandoned cars, bloated save files caused by the latter, CC, etc.

But again, I'm no expert. I'm sure someone else will post after me with more information on the subject.

By the way, 1000th post. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited January 2012
    Hello! :)

I always play in Sunset Valley. I usually give it a huge make over though... I get sick of seeing the same houses and townies over and over.

I don't think I have ever actually played with premade families. I find them to be too boring :lol: I generally stick with one family and one family only. I really love seeing the family tree expand drastically, so that's why I stick with one family. I play a particular family until the two parents die, and then I choose one of their children to play and so on.

3.) Do you play with Story Progression on or off?

I play with EA's story progression off because I couldn't stand it when families would move away. It always was one of my favorite families too! I downloaded Twallan's story progression mod and I honestly can't even imagine playing the game without it. With Twallan's mod, you're notified about everyone in the town and how they're doing. (You have the option to limit who you're notified about - friends, family romantic interests etc) Sims move in and out of houses, they get married, have babies, break up with spouses. It happens at a faster pace too (if you want it to). I couldn't stand it when EA's story progression would take so long for something to happen!

I play with aging on, but I have it set to either long or epic. (I change it quite often -- It depends how patient I am that particular day :lol: )
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I like that. I mean the part with switching from long to epic on lifespan lol I do that alot. I also am glad you mentioned you stick to one of the offspring from the original mom and pop. I like raising the kids but I wasn't sure how to go about the family once they aged to adulthood. Move them to the hood and let Twallan's SP take them over I guess? This SP sounds better and better the more I'm learning about it.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    slynnski wrote:
    Tazzianna wrote:

Not that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. Twallan's mods (not just SP, but all of them) do an exceptional job of cleaning up all of the unwanted junk/bad coding in your game. So, if any of the SPs cause lag, it would have to be EA's, not Twallan's.

Other things that tend to cause lag are memories, abandoned cars, bloated save files caused by the latter, CC, etc.

But again, I'm no expert. I'm sure someone else will post after me with more information on the subject.

I'm feeling more confident because of your confidence in Twallan's mod. I've been wondering about bloated files etc even w/o EA SP on in my game. I'm trying to find a nice balance between graphic quality and game play desires. My pc barely gets by really. Also congrats on 1000! :lol:
  • Options
    MiCA3L4MiCA3L4 Posts: 665 New Member
    edited January 2012
    1.) Well I only have one in TS3, but in the other two I bounce around...yet always have a favorite. :D Strangetown.

2.) If I'm trying to get my sim and another sim together, I'll switch it up to make it easier.

3.) Funny thing is I just today learned what it was...yet it's always been "On". So On, haha. Also do the sims automatically move in and out of the hood then? Haven't noticed any family's moving, but I'm assuming you could figure out by "gossiping".

4.) Never tried...D:
  • Options
    oscarzoaoscarzoa Posts: 205 New Member
    edited January 2012
    1. I generally play one or two, and generally the newer ones. Right now I'm enjoying playing in Appaloosa Plains, but I prefer building in Sunset Valley.
    2. I try to play all the families, but I always end up creating a family of my own and playing them for a long time.
    3. I do play with story progression on, because I hate it when everything is just still, with nothing new happening. However, I notice that not much happens even with SP on!
    4. I do not play with aging off.
  • Options
    KraeelaKraeela Posts: 120 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I play multiple neighborhoods but I have legacy games going in each one, so I can only play one family per neighborhood.

I love love love story progression. It's the absolute best thing ever about TS3. I hated how my teenagers would get with NPCs and I had no way of aging them up in TS2.
  • Options
    shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited January 2012
    Usually I play in the neighbor hood that is the newest. So currently it's AP.

I generally only play one save at a time, because even if I tell myself I'll play 2 it never happens.

I stick to one family because it's too much to figure out when to switch, and I don't want them naming their babies weird names.

I play with story progression on (though it really does nothing)

I used to play with aging off, but it got boring really quickly, so I stopped.

Although Sometimes I switch houses breifly to get something to happen if I need it.
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited January 2012
    slynnski wrote:
    Tazzianna wrote:

Twallan's SP mod "can" cause lag because it's running all the time.
    See here... http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/328743.page#4450262
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    cloudmakacloudmaka Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2012
    1) I tend to stick to one hood as I tend to get addicted to whatever sims I get into and when I try to play others just makes me want to go back to my orginal hood

2) As with number 1 I stick with one family for same reason

3) I play with story progression on to keep things intresting

4) I play with aging off for most of the time but do switch it on from time to time as well