The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can I prevent neighbors from aging and play Ts2 style

I want the family I'm playing to age as usual but not the neighbors. I don't want to play story progression and have it turned off. I had hoped that would prevent the hood from aging but it doesn't. All that does is stop them from having kids, getting promotions and moving away.

I enjoy playing all the lots or most of them at least.

I don't want to use the awesome mod because there are some aspects of it that I don't agree with.

Any ideas how to make this work more Ts2 style?

Comments

• Options
    PeachesnDucksPeachesnDucks Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited January 2012
    You could turn aging off too. This will keep them from aging and you can use the birthday cake just to age up the ones you want to age up. I miss the Sims 2 style too, and slowly, I'm learning to get the hang of it with aging off and story progression off.
  • Options
    TazziannaTazzianna Posts: 141 Member
    edited January 2012
    That's not a bad idea. Thank you! I didn't realize they would age up with the birthday cake while aging is turned off.

I kind of like the deadline of aging too though. I've always tried to accomplish as much as possible before death takes them. I guess I could try this though. It's better than the way it is now.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ooh one more question,

will that turn off the aging of the pets as well?

how do you age pets up when it's turned off then?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,552 Member
    edited January 2012
    You can't get away with the rest of the neighborhood aging. Eventually you will want to age your sims and the rest of the neighborhood ages with them. But who knows, there could be a mod for it.

The way I play Sims 2 style is decide which households in the neighborhood I want to play. Turn off aging and story progression. Play a cycle of all my households until I come back to the first. I turn on aging, because I do want them to age. The rest of the neighborhood ages too. Then I turn aging off again when I move on to the second house in the cycle. I just repeat this and play through the lives of my sims.

This way you can experience all your sims and the neighborhood age stages stay consistent. I think it's the best of both worlds. It's not perfect, because there is an issue of missing birthdays and not having the kids on track with school, so I try to track of which households have kids approaching a birthday.

I haven't played this way in a while, but I do believe one of Twallan's mod is good for quickly finding out far away a sim is from their age transition day. I like being around for those days, because I want to assign traits. If I miss though, I usually just change them to what I want them to be.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    x_Saffronx_Saffron Posts: 624 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Aging Off will also turn the aging off for the pets. If you want to manually age them, you have to use the cheat "TestingCheatsEnabled True", right-click them, and chose "Trigger Age Transition".
  • Options
    Sim_HappyAndFreeSim_HappyAndFree Posts: 371 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Twallans story progression mod is great for this. It really lets you customise what story progression elements you want. I'get only just started using mods, but now I have this and master controller I don't know how I played without it.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    CK213 wrote:
    You can't get away with the rest of the neighborhood aging. Eventually you will want to age your sims and the rest of the neighborhood ages with them. But who knows, there could be a mod for it.

The way I play Sims 2 style is decide which households in the neighborhood I want to play. Turn off aging and story progression. Play a cycle of all my households until I come back to the first. I turn on aging, because I do want them to age. The rest of the neighborhood ages too. Then I turn aging off again when I move on to the second house in the cycle. I just repeat this and play through the lives of my sims.

This way you can experience all your sims and the neighborhood age stages stay consistent. I think it's the best of both worlds. It's not perfect, because there is an issue of missing birthdays and not having the kids on track with school, so I try to track of which households have kids approaching a birthday.

I haven't played this way in a while, but I do believe one of Twallan's mod is good for quickly finding out far away a sim is from their age transition day. I like being around for those days, because I want to assign traits. If I miss though, I usually just change them to what I want them to be.

This is good stuff thank you for replying. I too would like to see the neighbors age up with my families. There are some I don't really care to play and so this idea of yours to make it balance by turning the aging on and off is a duable idea to make everything look more realistic. I am going to google search that mod from Twallan. Thank you. I hope it gives you notification in game about their birthdays approaching. Would be neat if you wanted to pick the traits agreed. I will do what you do tho and change them if I miss a bday.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    This is so useful! Sim_HappyAndFree I will check for those mods now.

x_Saffron I appreciate your info too. I will use that in future I'm quite positive.