Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you a great designer?

SimHead82SimHead82 Posts: 154 Member
I really need some input. I love building houses, but I am really bad at doing the interior designing. But since I am working on my first house I really want to complete the whole thing myself. But I am stuck on the master suite. I created this comforter that reminded me on a bedding set I had bought from Pottery Barn a few years ago. I have tried to design the room around it, but I think it looks really tacky. Here is a picture: Screenshot-436.jpg

So I have had it so the plaid were the sheets and the curtains, which I kind of liked, but with so many windows, it just looked like too much plaid. I also had the drapes on the bed be the plaid, but it just didn't work. I really want to keep the comforter, but I really want it to work too! So any ideas? I know there are some really amazing designers out there!
Origin ID: SimHead82

Comments

• Options
    SpacyCheeseSpacyCheese Posts: 40 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think perhaps make the wall paper one stock color of those used in the plaid and then a strip near the top with that pattern.

Good Luck xx
  • Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2009
    Ditch the plain wallpaper, it's too busy as is the rug.

In my non designer opinion, that room needs to be toned way way down, it's far too busy and borders on being a freakish nightmare
    from hell.

Maybe warming up the walls with a dark or hunter green might make it a bit more soothing,
    and the rug, well, in my opinion simplicity is best, ditch the plaid & maybe a nice
    pearl color to pop it away from the dark wood flooring might look nice.

• Options
    jamesrgrooverjamesrgroover Posts: 112 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The room looks fine as for the way you have furniture setup, the colors of the fabrics on the bedspread are fine too, and as you said the plaid does lend some great deal of optical confusion to the room.

Leave the plaid rug down on the floor, and change the walls to a nuetral tone color but lighten the tone of the plaid, the bright greens and reds in the wallpaper demand the eye to be drawn from the focal points in the room, the rug and the bedspread.

Feng Shui shows that a balance in the room is important, you have the rug in the right place and the chair and the dresser, add one other chair in the foreground corner lower right in that pic, if possible, some art on the walls brings in some vibrance, you may try using some of the bedspread fabric as borders for the frames on the art, just change the tone and you will have a balance.

The wooden floor does not lend well to a peaceful environment, it is a natural element yes, but it is also a hard and cold surface, a reed mat or a tan carpeting will tone down the room some and may add a touch of elegance and peacefulness. Try a moderate yellowish or green tone in the carpet if you want it may add some of the natural and soft texture back into the room.

Windows are fine but having many windows is not a good thing, the window points out into the world, and brings in light, but in that moment it also brings in chaos if there are many, you leave no space for art, or paintings and you bring in floods of light too, but then you have no restful shadows in corners and take away from the room's balance by opening portals to the outside.

Flowers and plants play an important role in home design, adding a few tabletop flower arrangements, a plant or two hanging in baskets and a corner or mid wall plant in a vase can bring some life into a room.

But beware the clutter, you want a sense of peace when you look into the room, you want to see restful corners and one central area where there may be some activity, needless excess decor can only tend to cause disarray.
  • Options
    SimHead82SimHead82 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you guys so much! I took all of your answers into consideration and though the room isn't quite finished, it already looks so much better!

Screenshot-442.jpg
    Screenshot-439.jpg
    Screenshot-440.jpg
    Screenshot-441.jpg

I just had to have that plaid in there! I think it looks good, I toned down the colors in the plaid a little. I like the carpet now and I just did away with the big window curtains.
    Origin ID: SimHead82
  • Options
    cfitz109cfitz109 Posts: 46 New Member
    edited June 2009
    only about a million times better! So much less busy, looks great.
  • Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2009
    There ya go, that is so so SO much better!
  • Options
    jamesrgrooverjamesrgroover Posts: 112 New Member
    edited June 2009
    OMG that looks AWESOME!!! That is such a nice looking room, makes me want to have a nap LOL. Well done!!
    The balance in the room is very good, it is a peaceful and serene place now, Great Job! I like the plaid colored hangings on the bedpost it brings out the comforter and has a nice balance against the beautiful brown weaved rug and the tan walls.