Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Love this Geforce 4GB 540M for laptops. Would one similar be available for PC?

I just got a new laptop with a dedicated 4GB GeForce GT 540M. My PC has a Geforce 9800 GT (but it is integrated).

I originally had my sims 3 mistakenly programed to run on the hybrid HD graphics card before using the Nvidia settings to tell the game to use the proper card on my laptop. Now that it's using the 540, it has better graphics than my PC for pets. I have fluff on the PC, but the textures don't look as natural as on this computer.

I have all EPs run all my settings on max except for number of visible lots and number of high texture lots which I put on medium and low respectively.

Is there a similar card available for PC and in what price range? I don't like to game as much on my laptop because I know a lot of gaming isn't good for laptops' cooling systems and I really need this laptop for my schoolwork (btw, it's an i7 and I love it, I just don't want to damage it. It LOVES Fable III as well).

Or are i7 laptops okay to use as a primary gaming system without overheating? This one has a big side cooling system. I'm so tempted to use this as my primary gaming PC because it is SO SUPERIOR to my desktop.
edited because I can't spell today. I've been having a lot of trouble with sleep this week and my brain has been suffering as a result. :-)

Comments

• Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    edited November 2011
    Puddles actually reflect, fur textures look more natural (I have fluff on my PC but the graphics are a bit more choppy/less natural). Also, when I go to a community lot, textures load in about half a second rather than waiting 20 seconds for them to load. I think I may use an HDMI cable to test this thing on my big screen sometime (it's made for that).
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2011
    Most, if not all laptops overheat because laptops does not have the space inside that is afforded to desktops.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    edited November 2011
    Would using a fan with this baby keep it safe? It is just so superior to my PC but I don't want to do anything to damage it.
  • Options
    dramaqueenlpdramaqueenlp Posts: 792 Member
    edited November 2011
    I would definitely suggest a fan dock for it. As for a replacement graphics card, if your laptop is completely out-doing your computer, then it would be more helpful to know more about your desktop pc as well.