Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

50+ useful fog emitter effects in pictures

As many of you know, fog emitters can add more effects to your world than simply fog! I think effects are neat ways to bringing your world to life, with everything from fog and clouds to insects and birds. For those of you who haven't used fog emitters before, I added a short guide at the bottom.

I used Alexurt1's list of fog emitter effects (from base game, WA and Ambitions) found here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/216905.page#2650056
It's a very, very long list. I've picked some of the (permanent) effects that might be useful for world creating.

Clouds, fog, weather, steam and smoke
steamcloudetc.png

Fire
fireg.png

Animals
animalsm.png

Sparks, lights and glows
glitterp.png

Miscellaneous
misct.png

Ideas:
- Use some fire on top of the wrecked car object.
- Use the chimney smoke to create your own "fake" chimney if you can't stand EA's red brick ones.
- A combination of sparks and glows could create a cool, magical meadow for your fantasy world.
- Fireflies will make your forests pretty at night.
- Put some steam over a few ponds to create hot springs!

Beginner's guide:
1. Open the cheat box and use the cheat "testingcheatsenabled true"
2. Re-open the box and use the cheat "buydebug"
3. Go into buymode, chose the sort by functions tab, click the question mark button, and open the misc tab.
4. Find the fog emitter. It's a blue/green shiny orb.
5. Hold down [Ctrl]+[Shift], click the orb (once placed) and chose "Set Visual Effect".
6. Enter any of the codes found in the picture.

Hopefully you'll find a few of these effects useful. I'd love to see pictures and please share any ideas you've got. Good luck!

Comments

• Options
    KayPapageiKayPapagei Posts: 974 New Member
    edited November 2011
    This is REALLY useful! Thank you so much for posting this :D I'm always wanting to use the fog emitter but never sure what effects to use, the list is so long.

I will be adding some of these awesome effects into my worlds ^_^
  • Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited November 2011
    Excellent! This needs to get into the FAQ ASAP. ;)
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited November 2011
    Thanks Virvatuli, a very useful thread, one I will definitely be bookmarking. Cheers :D
  • Options
    AlastairAlastair Posts: 36 New Member
    edited November 2011
    This is awesome, thanks a lot!
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited November 2011
    I've bookmarked this also. Brilliant! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    TrancepireTrancepire Posts: 969 Member
    edited November 2011
    Question, are there any methods/tricks to do to keep the game running smoothly with these emitters? And just how much emitters can you put per lot/world without slowing down the game?

I mean for example, iirc you must 'cluster' your trees in caw to keep your game running smoothly.
    cnc4pew3.gif
  • Options
    VirvatuliVirvatuli Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2011
    @KayPapagei: Cool! Let me see some pictures when you're done :D

@Docsprock, Johnnywr, Alastair, Conorsim: Glad you liked it guys :) You're welcome!

@Trancepire: It's really up to what kind of computer you have, I guess, and exactly which effects you use. I bet the big clouds are worse for performance compared to some flies. Most of this stuff won't show unless you are close to the lot, so you can probably use many effects in the world in total, as long as the game doesn't have to show you too many effects at once - so, don't use too many at the same place. Easiest way to find out is probably simply giving it a try!
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited November 2011
    I mean for example, iirc you must 'cluster' your trees in caw to keep your game running smoothly.

Trancepire, the program automatically clusters your trees AND updates routing data whenever you save so unless you're just testing something there's no reason to do either of those steps manually.

Virvatuli, thanks so much for this thread! Just last night I was thinking about how I need to go on a fact-finding mission soon on those fog emitters. So, I'm bookmarking for future reference! :D

I have a question, though. Do fog emitters actually do anything when placed on the map outside of a lot? I know all these other things have to be found by shift-clicking (or some such) which can't be done on the world level, but do they actually emit fog when placed on the map?
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited November 2011
    Regina, I used a couple of fog emitters in Matkooskee, both were placed outside of lots and they both quite happily offered a foggy area in the vicinity of their placement. Spooky :wink:
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited November 2011
    Ooh, Johnny, that is great to know! I need fog in the Old Forest but I haven't got to placing effects yet, am still working on final sculpting, painting, and adding objects to the main areas of the map.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited November 2011
    This is great! Thanks! But seriously, someone needs to figure out how to put these effects into the CAW emitter instead of EIG emitters!
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited November 2011
    Virvatuli thanks for putting all this info together. Very interesting. I will try this out in my worlds.

happy simming

Starby
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited November 2011
    This is excellent! Thanks for compiling these pix and codes for us :) Never used the fog emitters because I didn't know how, but this is great, thanks!
  • Options
    VirvatuliVirvatuli Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2011
    @bunbunnyny: Thank you! And indeed, it's rather limiting that we have to place lots in order to use these effects D: It'd be like Sims Christmas for me if they found a way to do that! xD

@Starbucaneer, Elmawa: You're welcome, only glad I could help :3
  • Options
    dramaqueenlpdramaqueenlp Posts: 792 Member
    edited December 2011
    When doing some research on this, I read that a lot of these are not continuous... how would I find out which are? Just try them all and see?
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited January 2012
    Great reference. I've been hoping someone would do some research, and documentation on fog emitters.

I placed it in the FAQ, under Meta Data Objects Tips & Info

Thank you, AL
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited March 2012
    Thank you SO much for these pictures! :shock: I didn't know we had clouds and animals! :lol::lol: All I ever used were the fire, rain, snow and leaves. :XD:

The Waterfalls confuse the mess out of me, though--I can never get them to work right--arrgh! :x Anyone know of a great play by play runthrough of those?
  • Options
    SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    edited March 2012
    I tried using one of the effects building in EiG, but when I went to export and test the world, just had fog. Anyone found a way around this? Or do I need to save the lot to library and place it later?
  • Options
    nativeofnynativeofny Posts: 66 New Member
    edited March 2012
    Well, this is nothing short of awesome. Thanks for this!
  • Options
    lou1s1zzylou1s1zzy Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    :lol: :P 8) :lol::lol: :-o :cry::D :Dgo to http://simsrelations.forumotion.com/t157-fog-emitter-codes and it gives you hundreds and hundreds :):):):):) :-) :-)
  • Options
    ZOMGeezersZOMGeezers Posts: 92
    edited July 2012
    Bookmarked. Thank you so much.

-ZOMGeezers
  • Options
    tanzanitecoil17tanzanitecoil17 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2012
    Thank you so much! This really, really helped! :D
  • Options
    elle0808elle0808 Posts: 2,419 Member
    edited August 2012
    I've only just started experimenting with these (where have I been? lol). Thanks for sharing. They are awesome. So far I've used the chimney smoke and the glowing butterflies. They work perfectly, and are so good for my fairytale builds :mrgreen:
  • Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for posting ... I always have a hard time finding these codes ... so I bookmarked this :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SimEveSimEve Posts: 4,772 Member
    edited August 2013
    I did some videos of these effects if it helps. http://createveworks.blogspot.com/2011/01/fog-emitter-effects-animations-series.html

They show all of the animations up to Seasons, when I did not have time to do it anymore. :) I hope you don't mind me posting it here. I just happened across your thread and thought it might be useful as well. :)