Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error message when trying to install Origin on VMware Windows XP

So I recently got a used Macbook, it's wonderful, it already has all the adobe programs and even Maya on it, so I don't have to buy them for school. I started using Mac's because that's what the multimedia lab at my college is full of, and I just fell in love. This computer is almost everything I ever could have wanted, the only problem is I can't play Sims.

There is no Origin for Mac, correct? Almost all my expansions are digital downloads, and the people at EA keep telling me I need to buy the games again in discs!! I really don't have enough money to go out and buy games twice! That's ridiculous, I cannot even believe that that's supposed to be my only option!

What else can I do? There's NO WAY I can buy the games again, I had to save up forever to buy this used Mac!

But this computer also has one great thing, VMware Fusion with Windows XP. But I tried to install Origin in Windows XP and I can't because I get this error- _____ is not a valid Win32 Application. That's the same problem I got with my pc laptop, but I was just testing things out because Sims would never run on there anyways and I was trying to get the pets demo.

Anyways, does anyone know what is causing that error message and how I can get the Sims on this Mac without buying all the games again?

--

I installed Windows 7 through VMware just now and I'm getting the same problem. :(

I really appreciate any help, thank you! (And Happy Halloween!)

Comments

• Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited November 2011
    Hi,

Since you are using Mac OS X, have you tried using Boot Camp which is included with the OS? Boot Camp will allow you to run a Windows OS, such as XP, in native mode instead of emulated mode.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    TinaMaxisTinaMaxis Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2011
    I haven't even heard of boot camp before, I'm pretty new to Mac aside from using adobe products with it before in labs, but I have "boot camp assistant"which I hope is the same as just boot camp. When I get a chance I will try with that because I miss my simmies! :)

But can you tell me more about boot camp before I just look it up?

Is it going to be similar to VMware in that I can just close it and go back to all mac when I want? Or is it a big change?

Thanks!
  • Options
    SymbologySymbology Posts: 1,074
    edited November 2011
    Bootcamp lets you run Windows on Macs. You boot into it (when starting the computer, hold down option). It's full blown windows too, not some emulated environment. When you're down, restart the Mac, hold option, boot back into OS X.
    The only downside is you need to own a copy of Windows, which you can get from Apple Stores (I believe).
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ok, thanks. So, hold option when starting to get into it.

What do you mean when I'm down? If I want to get back to Mac I need to hold option and restart from windows?

Can I undo all of this if I have problems?
  • Options
    SymbologySymbology Posts: 1,074
    edited November 2011
    I meant done. Not down.

Yes, when you want to go back to OS X, you restart and hold option.

And yes, you can uninstall Windows if you don't like it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ok, great. I'll try that now. I do have a copy of Windows 7, but I cannot find the serial number, do I need that right now, or can I use it for a while without it because I have to look for it. Because I installed it on VMware and it didn't need the serial number.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I'm trying to download the support software for Mac and it told me that it isn't available. O_o