Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error message when trying to install Origin on VMware Windows XP

So I recently got a used Macbook, it's wonderful, it already has all the adobe programs and even Maya on it, so I don't have to buy them for school. I started using Mac's because that's what the multimedia lab at my college is full of, and I just fell in love. This computer is almost everything I ever could have wanted, the only problem is I can't play Sims.

There is no Origin for Mac, correct? Almost all my expansions are digital downloads, and the people at EA keep telling me I need to buy the games again in discs!! I really don't have enough money to go out and buy games twice! That's ridiculous, I cannot even believe that that's supposed to be my only option! :(

What else can I do? There's NO WAY I can buy the games again, I had to save up forever to buy this used Mac!

But this computer also has one great thing, VMware Fusion with Windows XP. But I tried to install Origin in Windows XP and I can't because I get this error- _____ is not a valid Win32 Application. That's the same problem I got with my pc laptop, but I was just testing things out because Sims would never run on there anyways and I was trying to get the pets demo.

Anyways, does anyone know what is causing that error message and how I can get the Sims on this Mac without buying all the games again?

I really appreciate any help, thank you! (And Happy Halloween!)

Comments

• Options
    TinaMaxisTinaMaxis Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2011
    So I had Windows 7 and I installed it with VMware and I'm still getting the same error message! :( Any ideas?
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,115 Member
    edited November 2011
    You'd be better off installing Windows in Boot Camp. It works much better than in a virtual machine like Parallels or VmWare.

Finder > Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    TinaMaxisTinaMaxis Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2011
    Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I hope it works with that, but can you tell me how Boot camp works?

Is it going to look the same as VMware and can I turn it off and on like VM and just use Mac?

Are the sims going to be installed on the Mac side this way..?

Thank you!
  • Options
    polidipolidi Posts: 15
    edited November 2011
    TinaMaxis wrote:
    Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I hope it works with that, but can you tell me how Boot camp works?

Is it going to look the same as VMware and can I turn it off and on like VM and just use Mac?

Are the sims going to be installed on the Mac side this way..?

Thank you!

Boot Camp splits your hard drive into two partitions, one for Mac and one for Windows. To run Windows, you have to restart your computer and pick which operating system you want to start up in -- it's not like VMWare where you have a copy of Windows running within OS X. Restarting can be a pain but it makes Windows faster, less buggy, and more compatible with programs.

With Boot Camp the Sims will be installed on the Windows partition. You'll have to restart your computer into Windows to use them, and then restart again into OS X when you want to use your Mac applications.

Apple has info on Boot Camp at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1461 , including a detailed how-to PDF.

I use disks so I can't personally vouch that the downloaded versions work in Boot Camp, but they should -- your MacBook will literally be a Windows PC when you're running Windows with Bootcamp.