Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can a Macbook Pro handle TS3?

I've been told that it can, but looking at the System requirements for TS3 Pets for Mac, I'm worried it can't.

These are the requirements I found--

Mac System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor
RAM: 2 GB RAM
DISC DRIVE: DVD
HARD DRIVE: At least 3.5 GB* of free space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games.
VIDEO: ATI X1600 or NVIDIA 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM
INPUT: Keyboard, mouse
*9.6 GB of hard drive space if installing with The Sims 3
Supported Video Cards: Nvidia GeForce 6 series or better, and all NVidia G, GT, GTS, and GTX video cards. ATI Radeon™ series card 9500 series or better, and all ATI X, X1, and HD video cards. Please note that the GeForce 6100 and 7100 cards are not supported. The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series is unsupported under Snow Leopard. This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems, or the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

The Macbook Pro 17" I'm going to have soon has a Dual-Core Intel Core i7 Processor, which isn't what's listed. And the OS is OS X Lion, not what's listed..

What I'm worried about is the graphics card, because those are always causing trouble, and I want my game to work! AMD Radeon, not what is listed, again.

Are these all just the better versions of the requirements? Is the game going to work??

Thanks..

Comments

• Options
    TinaMaxisTinaMaxis Posts: 306 Member
    edited October 2011
    I just finished chatting with someone from Origin. Turns out Macs can't run Origin, and I can't install ANY of my Digital download games. :(

What the heck am I supposed to do??? I've been saving up forever for a Mac and now I find out stupid Origin won't work. My PC is fried. I don't even know how long it's been since I've played the Sims.

And she said I have to update my drivers if I get a new Macbook Pro because what they have won't run ts3.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Should I just get an Alienware laptop instead??? I'm just trying to find one laptop that will last that can handle all adobe products with all sims games. :(
  • Options
    xchristaleexchristalee Posts: 289 New Member
    edited October 2011
    i'm not exactly sure what whoever you were speaking to was talking about. i have a macbook pro, and all the expansions for TS3. some i bought, some i direct downloaded. it works perfectly fine for me, i haven't even had a single glitch.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    i was talking to a customer service rep from origin. ea is now origin, apparently, and maybe you could download digital downloads before, but you can't now. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    well even if you just bought them rather than got the download, it really should work absolutely fine. i've not had any problems with mine.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I was planning on getting the disc. But I have a few digital download ones that I won't be able to get on the Mac and so I don't know what to do. :( The person said I also have to update my drivers too because it won't work.

Can anyone recommend a great laptop that will handle the sims 3 perfectly, as well as adobe products??
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    have you tried to install the downloads, just in case?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I don't have the Macbook yet. I'm freaking out because I've been saving for a new laptop because I'm running on a really bad one right now, and someone tells me the sims won't work on it, and I've been getting different responses. That Macs are horrible for games and it won't work at all or I have to only change the drivers or it won't work unless I have multiple operating systems on it. This is really stressful.

I just want someone to tell me which computer to get. I need it to run Illustrator, photoshop, indesign, dreamweaver, and after effects as good as a Mac, and the sims 3 and all it's expansions fine. :( I'm tired of doing research on it and it never being consistent.
  • Options
    Kay_Kay_ Posts: 20 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I've got an old iMac with just dual core and 4 gb of RAM, ATI graphics and it runs Adobe CS5 brilliantly, but Sims not so great. So I built a PC for Sims and just use the mac for internet/graphics :) I'd expect a macbook Pro to run The Sims well to be honest, and macs seem to last forever :) I think I'd go for the mac, but I'm sure a PC would do a good job as well, and would cost a lot less. I have a dual core laptop at work and it runs Adobe CS4 fine, little slow at times, but only when I'm on big hi-res documents.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    personally i think my mac runs sims better than my PC ever did. actually, most games. i play games on here all the time, and i don't have multiple operating systems or any of that. just a plain old macbook pro. they all run amazingly.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    You didn't have to update your drivers? But still, there's the problem of my digital download games. I can't get to them because I don't have discs. :( I think there's two that I got like that.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I talked to another rep from EA//now Origin. This person wasn't against Macs. Said there's no driver update needed and all that, the only problem still is the digital downloads, he said I'd have to buy the games again and that apparently digital downloads never worked on Macs, but I'll have to try, I guess, if I still get one.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited October 2011
    When buying a laptop try consider what your going use for the most.If your not so much into gaming then the Macs are awesome but if your into gaming try a Alienware but it will cost.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The only game I play is the Sims 3, I take it that goes into the, "not so much into gaming" category, right?

All I'll be using it for is the sims and graphic design stuff for school, which I know macs are good for.

• Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited October 2011
    A Mac is excellent for school and a good education is very important.When your done with school then consider a laptop for gaming but school is more important.