Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could this laptop handle Sims3...

Especially Sims 3 Pets (I have Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, and Pets), but if I could just play Pets with no issues I would be happy (well preferred Late Night and Pets but would be happy if I could just play Pets).

I'm in the market to either upgrade the computer I have now or get a laptop.

The laptop I'm looking at however is this one. Could it handle Sims3?

I've been trying to get it to work on my desktop, but it simply refuses :(.

Comments

• Options
    KikionparasKikionparas Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited October 2011
    I wouldn't get a laptop for playing the sims if I were you :/ Laptops are not gaming computers and are very hard to upgrade, if not impossible. Also, their lifespans tend to be very short, so you'll get more for the money when you buy a desktop.

Why won't it work on your desktop? You mean it won't install or just won't run properly, is laggy etc?

• Options
    Zack_the_MouseZack_the_Mouse Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2011
    the link is just for the generic bones. which model with what specs?
  • Options
    mcrvamp08mcrvamp08 Posts: 80 New Member
    edited October 2011
    It works but I keep getting errors (and it's laggy, but I've been told that was my graphic card, which wouldn't surprise me it is pretty crappy). I've tried numerous things to cure the issues even contacted EA (which was no help). I was debating between upgrading my desktop or a laptop I wasn't sure which was the better idea.

I thought I would throw the following in (maybe someone can tell me if my computer should be able to handle sims3). I tried using that "Can you Run It" site, it says I can with no problem, but I keep having issues...

Computer stats (if it will help any)

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9650 Quad-Processor 2.30 GHz <-- maybe this is one issue, since Sims3 needs 2.40 GHz? I don't know. Pretty computer illiterate.
    RAM: 8 GB (with 7.74 GB usable)
    Windows OS: Windows 7 Home Premium

As far as I can tell, the processor is a 2.30 GHz (instead of 2.40 if that matters), and my graphic card (as far as requirements) -- graphic card is a ATI HD Radeon 3200 so it defiantly needs upgrading.

As far as I can tell Sims3 should work on mine and it did up until several months ago. Ever since I cannot get it to work properly.
  • Options
    crazylilelf8106crazylilelf8106 Posts: 196 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I have the lenovo Y570. Check it out. I love it.
  • Options
    EvilDog286EvilDog286 Posts: 110 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I have lenovo T410 ThinkPad laptop and The sims pets work good on my laptop.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited October 2011
    Although you can game on a laptop, its not the best idea seeing as how it can heat the laptop up pretty fast and there's only so much you can fit in a laptop... You need a big power supply to handle the newer graphics cards for gaming and fans need to be able to keep you're computer from over heating. You might have better luck at just updating you're PC but when you buy a new graphics card you will need a new power supply to support it. Say you just pop in a new graphics card and don't update the correct power supply...
    1. Burn up the power supply, then burn up the motherboard. Game over
    2. Go straight to the motherboard. Game over
    3. Refuse to start up

They do have gaming laptops but they are bigger then you're normal grab and go laptops. :-)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I play on my laptop no problems :mrgreen:
    If you want a computer desktop/laptop I would recommend something with a 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor i5 or i7 (not i3 not powerful enough), 4 GB of ram or higher, Dedicated Graphics 512 MB (1 gb would be better thou)also for a laptop make sure it has dynamically allocated shared graphics memory with the system memory.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Although you can game on a laptop, its not the best idea seeing as how it can heat the laptop up pretty fast and there's only so much you can fit in a laptop... You need a big power supply to handle the newer graphics cards for gaming and fans need to be able to keep you're computer from over heating. You might have better luck at just updating you're PC but when you buy a new graphics card you will need a new power supply to support it. Say you just pop in a new graphics card and don't update the correct power supply...
    1. Burn up the power supply, then burn up the motherboard. Game over
    2. Go straight to the motherboard. Game over
    3. Refuse to start up

They do have gaming laptops but they are bigger then you're normal grab and go laptops. :-)

as above if you get a laptop buy the extra warranty it worth it if you game on it.

Its cheaper to get a desktop with great spec than to get a generally ok laptop
  • Options
    mcrvamp08mcrvamp08 Posts: 80 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Zack_the_Mouse - oh, well the model is a Lenovo ThinkPad T520, as for the specs...

- 2nd generation Intel Core processors with Turbo Boost 2.0 technology.
    (Intel Core i7-2.30GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 3MB L3 cache)

- Chipset (if this matters): Intel QM67

- Memory: Up to 8GB DDR3

- Graphics: Intel Integrated HD graphics or Discrete NVIDIA NVS 4200M (1GB VRAM)
    ^ guess I can choose which?
    From the Levno website, if I need to look up anything else for the specs let me know...
    ^

crazylife816 & EvilDog286 - I'll check both out :).

Simasaurus09 - oh, I didn't realize that, I wouldn't use it JUST for gaming, but I would like to use games on it (if that made sense) lol. Wasn't sure which way to go, upgrade this computer or go the laptop route, still trying to decide but you made some good points I'll consider with the heating the laptop up fast and overheating). I had no idea about the power supply and motherboard though (shows my computer illeraticy lol). I'll defiently keep that in mind in my decision. :)

Zack_the_Mouse - I haven't fully made up my mind, in a way I would like this computer (Desktop) and get a laptop for gaming and other things, but having a hard time deciding lol. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go for a laptop.

Thanks for the help everyone.