Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting quite annoying now...

Comments

• Options
    EsotericDibEsotericDib Posts: 51 New Member
    edited October 2011
    DBDragoner wrote:
    The fight over laptop vs. desktop is silly. I have both and play the game on both. On my laptop the graphs is on low and I play slow. The desktop is on medium graphs and I play the game faster. If you have a laptop it is gonna be harder to get parts for. That's simply how it goes.

This debate over EA updating the game's graphs is even sillier. If you play computer games, especially top end ones like The Sims 3 then you're gonna have to keep up with the changing times. That's the price of playing computer games. Yes it sucks. I'm not made of money and my computer haven't been upgraded in years, so there are games I can't play.

If you simply can't afford keeping up with the constantly upgrading graphics of the computer gaming world you may be happier with a console games. Personaly I prefer the computer for many reasons. Money is tight, but gaming companies are in constant compation with each other. They have to turn our bigger badder games that appeal to the most people.

As for the issue of affording it, games are a luxury. If you don't have the money try saving over time or waiting till prices come down. If you don't know how to upgrade your computer than ask friend, experts, or the internet. I'm sorry you can't afford it, but that's your issue not EA's.

Now one last word. I know people hold their beliefs close to them and hate being told something against their belief. I understand and respect your beliefs. Please give me and other simers the same respect.

Also, don't bother insulting me. I'll laugh it off and get back to my life. At the end of the day its just a game.

I just have one question; what happens when the price becomes too high to even play games and the only ones who get the luxury are the rich? How would that fare? It's not only the price of computer games that are going up. Naturally they are the more expensive ones considering they have to adhere to different types of computers.

So then on all accounts EA makes off with the money? Without any regard to it's gamers? That doesn't seem right, does it?

Also; The Witcher 2 is really mind blowing, the graphics are amazing and the story is superb.. and the developers love their gamers. When they update anything they try to accommodate their players. It's the same thing with Deus Ex. The fact is; The Sims 3 is awesome but you're saying it's top of the line when it really isn't.
  • Options
    juggyjonesjuggyjones Posts: 243 Member
    edited October 2011
    So then on all accounts EA makes off with the money? Without any regard to it's gamers? That doesn't seem right, does it?

Welcome to the corporate world, honey.

Nothing is fair when it comes to money, end of story.
    Origin Username: ndegrassi
  • Options
    tigerlily319tigerlily319 Posts: 559 New Member
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    My point is that they should have had to TELL YOU.

Games get more advanced as they are released. And EA has created animals with this game, so naturally the graphics are going to be more advanced.

If they release an EP next with weather, it's going to require more advanced graphics because weather is something NEW. So spare yourself the anguish, and don't buy it.

Maybe they don't have to tell us! Certainly they're not obligated to! But they choose to list the requirements on the back of the box. Now, I've seen plenty of threads on the forums about people with those requirements filled who are still having issues with their game. It's not okay that EA can say that certain cards, etc will work and then they don't. I'm not trying to intentionally start an argument with you, I'm just stating my opinion that it seems unfair that EA puts one thing on their box, but in actuality it doesn't work/support the game.
  • Options
    PolekittyPolekitty Posts: 19
    edited October 2011
    I think it does make sense. It's called Market Research. I didn't say please everyone, because you are 100% correct: someone somewhere with nothing better to do will complain that the hydrangea bush doesn't look like a real hydrangea bush and that it's mocking Hydrangea bushes everywhere by calling itself one...but that aside, in order to have a widely selling game (especially in a RECESSION) it needs to meet the needs of the working class. Because honestly, you think someone like Paris Hilton is playing it? No...she's out drinking pink crystal and dancing on tables in diamonds.

juggyjones wrote:
    Polekitty wrote:
    Oh...and also, peoples personal situations aren't important to the topic but it would make more sense if EA catered for everyone. Not everyone they make games for has the money to buy £1000 worth of computer. A lot of kids play it...are you telling me ALL their parents are gonna spend that much on a computer? Bottom line: This game is AMAZING but something is wrong. How else can you explain how it's playing on lower end laptops perfectly but not higher ones? I don't want grand gestures of apology, I just want to plaaaaaay the gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame without it crashing!

It does not make sense for them to cater to everyone at all. They will never be able to please everyone. Somewhere, someone will complain about something.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:

Yes.. but who controls the money? If we didn't pay for the games the corporation wouldn't really be developing anything now would they? They could make it but they'd end up losing more than what they made it for.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:
    I think it does make sense. It's called Market Research. I didn't say please everyone, because you are 100% correct: someone somewhere with nothing better to do will complain that the hydrangea bush doesn't look like a real hydrangea bush and that it's mocking Hydrangea bushes everywhere by calling itself one...but that aside, in order to have a widely selling game (especially in a RECESSION) it needs to meet the needs of the working class. Because honestly, you think someone like Paris Hilton is playing it? No...she's out drinking pink crystal and dancing on tables in diamonds.

juggyjones wrote:
    Polekitty wrote:
    Oh...and also, peoples personal situations aren't important to the topic but it would make more sense if EA catered for everyone. Not everyone they make games for has the money to buy £1000 worth of computer. A lot of kids play it...are you telling me ALL their parents are gonna spend that much on a computer? Bottom line: This game is AMAZING but something is wrong. How else can you explain how it's playing on lower end laptops perfectly but not higher ones? I don't want grand gestures of apology, I just want to plaaaaaay the gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame without it crashing!

It does not make sense for them to cater to everyone at all. They will never be able to please everyone. Somewhere, someone will complain about something.

Well said Polekitty. :)
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I agree with Polekitty many players play on laptops because they want the portability. Maybe I take my laptop on business trips or whatnot. You cannot carry a desktop with you everywhere and I certainly don’t want to play on something with a tiny screen like a PSP, etc…

I can also agree that I for one don’t like to sit at a desktop either. I take my laptop to the kitchen, play while cooking, etc… I LOVE my laptop. If I was forced to play on a desktop I’d say I’d play less and frankly be less inclined to keep up with the Sims anymore.

Perhaps EA should consider that many players use laptops for many things including playing the Sims. It’s more practical to have one computer that goes with you, thus your game does too, vs. being stuck tied to a desk.

I don’t think buying a laptop as a mistake at all, it’s the best investment. Honestly, my home has several laptops as-well-as a desktop. Once I stopped using the desktop I handed it over to my son and never went back again.

Polekitty wrote:
    Oooh, my post was posted after all. I thought they ignored me. Anyway, I bought a laptop because it's portable and I don't want to have to sit at a desktop whilst I play...which is another thing I think EA should take into consideration, a lot of it's customers do want to play on the go. Again, if EA said 'NOT SUITABLE FOR LAPTOPS (unless specific gaming laptops)' on their games then we would all know...they've done it before, back with Sims 1 and 2 so they could do it again. Lets be honest here, how many normal ordinary people understand the numbers and technical stuff they write on the box? Even if you look into buying a desktop specifically for the Sims and make sure you have every single specification to the letter...are you going to do it for every new Sims game? The first two or three? SURE! The rest...lets be honest, probably not. You're just going to assume that the others worked beautifully, so this one will too.

As for me making a mistake buying a laptop? Maybe I did...but it's a 'mistake' thousands and thousands of other people have made too, so that leads me to wonder whether it's really OUR mistake, or a gap in the market for decent games that EVERYONE can play, regardless of what computer they have.

Also, I feel it's important to point out that my game plays beautifully and has done from day 1, even with Generations, which I have read was buggy as hell. My only problem is that since Pets, my game has randomly started crashing which it has never done before. So, mistakes aside...what are EA going to do about it and where is this patch?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:

This made me laugh, but in a good "that was extremely witty and well worded" way. Kudos.

And I agree, that better market research would have been good.

But to be fair, you did say "everyone" ...
    Polekitty wrote:
    Oh...and also, peoples personal situations aren't important to the topic but it would make more sense if EA catered for everyone.
  • Options
    TLMcCorstinTLMcCorstin Posts: 15 New Member
    edited October 2011
    As everyone can clearly see, I've been around for quite a while but I do not usually bother to post because I use the forums more for updates, identifying problem areas, news, etc.

The Sims 3 community has always had a history of being helpful, supportive and fun. However, what we see now are threads like this where someone simply says what is on their mind and others feel a need to jump in and create tension. There are even some who seem to relish trolling these days.

Am I pointing fingers? Absolutely not. I say these things to preface what has become the norm which I will define as EA's lack of communication, quality and customer consideration creating a customer base that has to rely on rumors, partial information and the expectation of lackluster quality that most of us would not even begin to accept in any other type of product.

What do we get for it but the need to rely upon non-EA-employee players and volunteers who take time from their own lives to help us. Kudos to them and may they always keep their helpful spirit. They are invaluable to this community that seems to have taken on the habit of debating one another rather than making truly supportive statements.

This is understandable when a large group suffers a lack of information or consistent support.

With all that in mind (and yes, I have a Ph.D. in this) let's all please take this energy and work together to make EA realize they do have an ethical and legal responsibility to the consumers who purchase their products and they can be held accountable.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:

Yes.. but who controls the money? If we didn't pay for the games the corporation wouldn't really be developing anything now would they? They could make it but they'd end up losing more than what they made it for.

You're beginning to sound like you should go join an "Occupy [Here]" protest camp somewhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    N'awwwww, I am totally smooching your face off for that gesture :D I'm kind of already over it as I feel better having ranted a bit. I shall just stop playing til the patch comes out and then if that doesn't work, I'll buy a bunch of my own horses. Or something.
    Can we just end the whole argument here? This has already gotten out of hand and people are at eachother's throat it seems. Im sorry the Polekitty can't enjoy the game and there isn't too much we can do about it. I'm going to make an kitty in honor of Polekitty and in the hopes that perhaps her problem can be resolved. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:

You're beginning to sound like you should go join an "Occupy [Here]" protest camp somewhere.

I don't have time for it.. ;D
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Beautifully said. Thank you.
    As everyone can clearly see, I've been around for quite a while but I do not usually bother to post because I use the forums more for updates, identifying problem areas, news, etc.

The Sims 3 community has always had a history of being helpful, supportive and fun. However, what we see now are threads like this where someone simply says what is on their mind and others feel a need to jump in and create tension. There are even some who seem to relish trolling these days.

Am I pointing fingers? Absolutely not. I say these things to preface what has become the norm which I will define as EA's lack of communication, quality and customer consideration creating a customer base that has to rely on rumors, partial information and the expectation of lackluster quality that most of us would not even begin to accept in any other type of product.

What do we get for it but the need to rely upon non-EA-employee players and volunteers who take time from their own lives to help us. Kudos to them and may they always keep their helpful spirit. They are invaluable to this community that seems to have taken on the habit of debating one another rather than making truly supportive statements.

This is understandable when a large group suffers a lack of information or consistent support.

With all that in mind (and yes, I have a Ph.D. in this) let's all please take this energy and work together to make EA realize they do have an ethical and legal responsibility to the consumers who purchase their products and they can be held accountable.

• Options
    edited October 2011

I really do appreciate this and it does bring a better light to the subject. Thank you.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2011

This covers what I was actually going to get at pretty well. Far better than I would have.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    You are right, I did say everyone. But I mean everyone as in, not just the rich people of the world. Screw the Hydrangea guy though, no one likes him. What I mean to say is:

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG AND HAVE OUR SIMS RIDE HORSES? :D

juggyjones wrote:
    Polekitty wrote:

This made me laugh, but in a good "that was extremely witty and well worded" way. Kudos.

And I agree, that better market research would have been good.

But to be fair, you did say "everyone" ...
    Polekitty wrote:
    Oh...and also, peoples personal situations aren't important to the topic but it would make more sense if EA catered for everyone.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:

Haha, that's probably for the best.

There is one here where I live, and it's quite pathetic, and I don't think they grasp the real reason for the Occupy groups elsewhere. They just look like a bunch of homeless people sitting in a city square that was once really pretty. They haven't even made the newspaper.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:
    You are right, I did say everyone. But I mean everyone as in, not just the rich people of the world. Screw the Hydrangea guy though, no one likes him. What I mean to say is:

^This is awesome. And I agree. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:

There is one here where I live, and it's quite pathetic, and I don't think they grasp the real reason for the Occupy groups elsewhere. They just look like a bunch of homeless people sitting in a city square that was once really pretty. They haven't even made the newspaper.

It sounds like you live in Ottawa. Where I actually live near. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:

I think that's a good idea.

I apologize if you took my initial reply to be rude. I can see how it may have been a bit brash, but I was speaking from experience and have found my desktop to be a much better system to play on.

And to be honest, I do play The Sims Medieval and the Pirates and Nobles expansion pack on my MacBook Pro. However, the last time I played, my game crashed and I hadn't saved in a while. I'm reluctant to play again and see just how much progress I lost. But the crash was probably cause from overheating, which was entirely my fault.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:

Hahaha, no I live in Saint John, New Brunswick. The info under my avatar (and the avatar itself) is a little outdated.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:
    juggyjones wrote:

Hahaha, no I live in Saint John, New Brunswick. The info under my avatar (and the avatar itself) is a little outdated.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure I need to update my information as well. New Brunswick is a nice place though, have a couple of friends who moved down there.

I never meant to cause any problems. I just felt like I needed to step in because I dislike when others get talked down to. I've seen it happen all my life. The internet's already a cruel place; why do the Sims forums have to be that way as well? So I do apologize as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Psssh, I didn't take offence at all so don't worry about it. All I was saying was that I am annoyed because I can't play without it crashing and I really love it, so I'm upset. I think a lot of people can identify with that, even the people who have brilliant high spec desktops and can't play their games either.

Now, why don't we all have a group smooch and go find a Hydrangea bush to hug? Mmmkay?

juggyjones wrote:
    Polekitty wrote:

I think that's a good idea.

I apologize if you took my initial reply to be rude. I can see how it may have been a bit brash, but I was speaking from experience and have found my desktop to be a much better system to play on.

And to be honest, I do play The Sims Medieval and the Pirates and Nobles expansion pack on my MacBook Pro. However, the last time I played, my game crashed and I hadn't saved in a while. I'm reluctant to play again and see just how much progress I lost. But the crash was probably cause from overheating, which was entirely my fault.
  • Options
    TLMcCorstinTLMcCorstin Posts: 15 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I don't know about yours, but my hydrangea bushes are thrilled with this conclusion! By the way, they ate the Hydrangea guy in celebration!
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:
    Psssh, I didn't take offence at all so don't worry about it. All I was saying was that I am annoyed because I can't play without it crashing and I really love it, so I'm upset. I think a lot of people can identify with that, even the people who have brilliant high spec desktops and can't play their games either.

Now, why don't we all have a group smooch and go find a Hydrangea bush to hug? Mmmkay?

Hope you took no offense to what I had to say either. I did try to soften the harshness of it, but...

Well, I'm about as subtle and soft as a goldplated brick to the face.