Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those of you who have been experiencing crashing since pets, this should stop the crashing.

Comments

• Options
    Miax0Miax0 Posts: 15,840 Member
    edited October 2011
    angldior wrote:
    So I tried it and it didn't work. My game crashed within 10 seconds of playing it. So I went back to the way it was and so far it hasn't crashed. I will try that rendering thing and hopefully that will work.
    Hmm, well i hope the advanced rendering thing works for you! (:
  • Options
    jkstensjkstens Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited October 2011
    Ahh, I need some help! I tried adding the games to the list even by the exact file names according to a page I found. It says the file names don't exist. I also tried just finding the things under the folders and I only had what one of the people above had. The launcher stuff. Now, I'm not sure what to do.

Can anyone help me find the right stuff to add to the list?
  • Options
    RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2011
    I tried this, and like everyone else it came up saying " Sims 3" and "Sims 3 Starter Application" like 3-4 times for each, idk what OS you guys are running, but I'm on Windows Vista & it comes up like that. I tried playing and it ran perfectly for about 3-4 hours, then it crashed. But I guess 3-4 hours is better then 3-4 minutes, hahah.

I'll try turning advanced rendering off, to see if that ends the crashing for good!
  • Options
    sims2nightyfansims2nightyfan Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited October 2011
    lcmsims wrote:
    DEP didn't work for me but turning Advance Rendering off did :-)

How do I turn off Advanced redering off?
  • Options
    jujee55jujee55 Posts: 588 Member
    edited October 2011
    I tried turning off the DEP and my game would load then crash immediately, without it I can play for 2 hours then it doesn't crash it just stops running. I'm running windows 7 64 bit so not sure if this makes a difference with DEP.
  • Options
    sereia8sereia8 Posts: 2,333 New Member
    edited October 2011
    There's a new .exe you have to add, too. TS3W.exe which is in the base game folder. :)
  • Options
    MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    edited October 2011
    Miax0 - I added ALL the games I have, and Pets is still crashing.

I understand that this is not going to help everyone, but I was soooo hoping it would (for me). I really want to start playing my game.

I'm wondering tho.... Would it help if I were to REstart my laptop and then try to play the game? (*keeping my fingers crossed that maybe this will help)
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    sereia8 wrote:
    There's a new .exe you have to add, too. TS3W.exe which is in the base game folder. :)

Why would we have to add *that* .exe too?
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    sereia8sereia8 Posts: 2,333 New Member
    edited October 2011
    MsPrissy88 wrote:
    sereia8 wrote:

Why would we have to add *that* .exe too?

Because your game WILL keep crashing if you don't.

Read here for more info :)
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Data_Execution_Prevention/TS3W
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Guys, RESTART your computer after you put these things in your DEP. After adding the stuff to my DEP to see what the names were i got a message saying restart the computer for it to take effect!

-Crosses fingers it works for you guys after the computer restart-
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    sereia8 wrote:

Because your game WILL keep crashing if you don't.

Read here for more info :)
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Data_Execution_Prevention/TS3W
    Thanks for this info, i will add this information to the first post (:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Miax0 & sereia8 -

THANK YOU BOTH SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! :D I got my game to WORK!!! (doing my happy dance) I added ALL the .exe files and now I can play my game. Woohoo!!

The only thing I need to know now is, how do I get rid of the "ghost" around my animals? When I'm in CAP, I found that *certain* breeds, or maybe it's their coats, have a a "ghost" surrounding them. Is that a glitch in the game?

Thanks again!!! :)
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    kori09kori09 Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    i cant find those files in DEP!
  • Options
    tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited October 2011
    cazg1974 wrote:
    Had same problem,quickly sorted it by turning off Advanced Rendering, that is only going to work on directx 10 and above i have 9, i have no problems with the game now,also depends on your graphics card mine is pretty old NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400 GS
    but after turning of the advanced rendering in Options/Graphics in game restarting game it is fine,of course this may not be the fix but i am guessing so.
    Also got all graphics set to medium, reflections for example on mirrors and water only, draw distance on 2.
    Get my drift? :)

Thanks for this thread Miax0. =)

Just the same DEP wasn't my problem. Like a few others it was the advanced rendering. I turned it off and no more crashing. Thanks lcmsims and cazg1974.

The reason I quoted cazg1974, is because my graphics card is almost exactly the same.

NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS

Only difference is I have all my settings on the highest, (including advanced rendering before Pets) and had no problems. I still have all on highest, turned off advanced rendering and no more crashing.
    The games runs fast, perfect, no lag. All graphics still look excellent, awesome, amazing except terrain paint. =(
    The terrain paint looks like a blurry blob. If I go to a lot and fix it, it stays fine and is back to normal, but I can't do anything about the terrain paint within the world. :?

I also work in CAW and edit in game is the same. So I will be getting a new card when I can afford it because as a creator I am not liking the blurry terrain. :twisted:

Miax0 Just sayin' since folks might come to your thread and read your first post (like I did, had it bookmarked for when I was able to get Pets), but may not read the rest of the posts, it might be kind of helpful to add the advanced rendering solution as a back up/secondary solution in case DEP doesn't work in the first post... I say this because I see a few simmers still having problems after trying DEP. I haven't checked for driver updates yet but I am LONG overdue lol o.O

So bottom line simmers, if DEP doesn't work for you and you are ok with crappy looking terrain and can't afford a new graphic card or driver updates doesn't work, turn off advanced rendering. =]
  • Options
    angldiorangldior Posts: 4,379 Member
    edited October 2011
    When you turn off advance rendering is all the grass in town suppose to be blurry? It helps so much when I turn it off but I can't handle all the blurry grass.
  • Options
    hanbihanbi Posts: 245
    edited October 2011
    jujee55 wrote:
    I tried turning off the DEP and my game would load then crash immediately, without it I can play for 2 hours then it doesn't crash it just stops running. I'm running windows 7 64 bit so not sure if this makes a difference with DEP.

Thats weird I am running windows 7 64 bit and with it I can play for several hours without any freezing or crashing.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2011
    Astorial wrote:
    There have been similar threads about this, with some windows users reporting that this does NOT work for them.

Certainly worth a try, but it's not *the* fix.

Plus it's not applicable for Macs that have the crashing problem -- I crashed several times yesterday with my new big family (and encountered one dreaded Error 12), and I'm now trying to get back where I was; my horse and my unicorn had both given birth to foals and one was a unicorn foal that I really want! :shock:
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LukeysEmmyLukeysEmmy Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2011
    It may be helpful to note that there is a way to find out whether DEP is actually the source of your crashing, before you go into the complications of setting it up. Open up the crash log in Notepad, and look at the [Exception info] part. If it says <unknown module> on the 'address' line, DEP is causing the crash. If it doesn't say this, try downloading the Crash Log Analyser from MTS, as the crash is being caused by something else and the analyser will tell you what.
  • Options
    LBellLBell Posts: 3,511 Member
    edited October 2011
    I tried this.

And as soon as my game started and my sim was travelling home from work it crashed and came up saying 'To protect your computer windows has closed this program'
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LBell wrote:
    I tried this.

And as soon as my game started and my sim was travelling home from work it crashed and came up saying 'To protect your computer windows has closed this program'

Odd, this sounds like DEP... Have you seen my post above? Look at the crash log and see what the 'address' line says; post it here.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LukeysEmmy wrote:
    It may be helpful to note that there is a way to find out whether DEP is actually the source of your crashing, before you go into the complications of setting it up. Open up the crash log in Notepad, and look at the [Exception info] part. If it says <unknown module> on the 'address' line, DEP is causing the crash. If it doesn't say this, try downloading the Crash Log Analyser from MTS, as the crash is being caused by something else and the analyser will tell you what.

This is what mine says:

[Exception info]
    date: 2011-10-30
    time: 20.06.01
    type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x2d0c1d30
    address: 0x2d0c1d30 <unknown module>
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LBell wrote:
    LukeysEmmy wrote:

This is what mine says:

[Exception info]

Are you sure that you added ALL the necessary files to DEP? Perhaps try doing the process again from scratch and try playing your game again. Your problem IS with DEP, so the fix described in this forum should work. Strange that it didn't first time! :?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LukeysEmmy wrote:
    LBell wrote:
    LukeysEmmy wrote:

This is what mine says:

[Exception info]

Are you sure that you added ALL the necessary files to DEP? Perhaps try doing the process again from scratch and try playing your game again. Your problem IS with DEP, so the fix described in this forum should work. Strange that it didn't first time! :?

I've added them all but every time I press apply some disappear, because I added 7 and now I applied there are 5. :S
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LBell wrote:
    LukeysEmmy wrote:
    LBell wrote:
    LukeysEmmy wrote:

This is what mine says:

[Exception info]

I've added them all but every time I press apply some disappear, because I added 7 and now I applied there are 5. :S

That is really weird.. Okay, try putting the setting back to how it was before you adjusted it. Then, restart your computer and try again. I have no idea if that will help, but worth a try maybe.
  • Options
    midnight1829midnight1829 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited October 2011

I have this same issue, and can't get the DEP to work. Everytime I finish 2 or more disappear :(