Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making a new Empty World ~New pictures 8 october~

IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
The meaning of this world is that it will become a pretty empty world,
Where players can add their own Lots after i finish the sculpting and paintjob ;)

If you have any lot sizes you would like to see feel free to ask and i'll try to make room for it

so far i'm planning on using these sizes of lots:
64x64
60x60
40x30
30x30
50x50
40x40
20x20,25x30,25x25?

Could be forgetting some sizes so will prob. add some later ;)
I will put some standard rabbitholes down too to make it easyer for those who like to build but don't feel like building everything at once ^^

No name idea yet though, Anyway few first pics of what i did in this afternoon
Layout of a neighborhood looks pretty weird now but after i add some trees and plants it'll look alot better
2011-10-08_14-41-36_001.png"width=640"

View of mountains and lake from the town part
2011-10-08_14-42-08_001.png"width=640"

2011-10-08_14-42-26_001.png"width=640"

Town Layout pictures (didn't put lots down yet here)
2011-10-08_14-42-41_001.png"width=640"

And an overview of what i have done so far,

2011-10-08_14-44-15_001.png"width=640"

all my town roads are put down the rest is gonna be dirtroads ;) I'm hoping to finish the Basepaint down by tomorrow evening (since it seems to be a bussy weekend lol) And after that the hardest part has been done, I'm not to sure how i should finish my mountains though :/ I'm not really liking the dark/dirt patterns on the few i tried like this i might end up looking for a better rock pattern to repaint them :x

Also i'll prob add a few waterfalls next week to make it tie together more ;)
Ty for checking have a nice day guys ^^

Comments

• Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited October 2011
    Ivinora wrote:
    But i'm thinking of making it a World where i later can build stuff on houses and such, I know that these worlds are also pretty rare to find around (atleast some that look good) only one that comes to mind is sunset valley 2...

I, for one, think this is a great idea. Many of the "make me a world" threads are asking for this type of world -- something which is flat and which will easily accomodate large lots. You are right, these worlds are few and far between.

I don't necessarily think the world has to be empty. You can have lots on it which serve as placeholders. The idea is that the player bulldozes the placeholder when he wants to build or import a lot to that site. Having lots as placeholders also looks better than a bunch of empty lots.

Along these lines, you should have a selection of lots in a variety of standard sizes, and perhaps a few in non standard sizes to accomodate weird sized lots.

From my observations, you really cannot have too many 30 by 40 lots. Of course this means that EA did not include this lot size with their Ambitions addition, and that these lots can only be placed in game with mods (like Inge Jone's mod or Awesome Mod) Other useful lot sizes are 30 x 20 and 30 x 30. But everyone also has a number of 60 x 60 and 64 x 64 lots in their bin which always are a problem to place.
  • Options
    BobbleBeanBobbleBean Posts: 675 Member
    edited October 2011
    I think there is a need for these worlds, not everyone gets the hang of the create a world tool so having a sculpted canvas with roads on it would mean that they can focus on the lots and the in game editing.

I'm sure people would appreciate this.
    I have a similar world I started, all the sculpting is completed, I stopped it as I realised that I had used a map that was too small for what I was after at the time, I have considered tweeking it and releasing it for people to continue the build themselves, perhaps I will once I have finished Westfield Valley. :)

Will be interested to see your results.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Bump for first screeny's,
    Hope you like it ;) i'll add some more tomorrow, going out tonight so ;o
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited October 2011
    Ivinora wrote:
    If you have any lot sizes you would like to see feel free to ask and i'll try to make room for it

so far i'm planning on using these sizes of lots:
    64x64
    40x30
    30x30
    50x50
    40x40
    20x20

If you look around at the Exchange, TSR and other sites, I think you will find the most common residential lot to be 20 x 30. I have had no problem finding really nice homes for the 20 x 30 lots.

20 x 20 lots are much harder to fill and a lot of the existing homes for those lots are pretty crappy. Plastic Box's Wee Barnoids fit on a 20 x 20 with room to spare, but there is not much else out there.

25 by 25 lots are much easier to fill than 20 by 20 lots, and seem to be a fairly common lot size. Ditto 20 x 25.

60 x 60 lots seem to be both nicer and more common than 64 x 64 lots.

When I was working on the Alpha 4 version of Rain City, I had to rejigger many of the lots, reducing the number of 20 x 20 lots. Even now, I have too many, and the houses on them in many cases are substandard. (For the most part, I use lots from people who are far more talented at lot building than I.)

Since the Exchange allows you to sort by lot size, you might want to do a quick search to see how many lots are available in each size. It might give you an idea of the relative number of each size of lots you should include.
  • Options
    KuncisKuncis Posts: 81 New Member
    edited October 2011
    What kinds of roads are you going to be using because I am in desperate need of a pretty lush world with only dirt roads, especially with Pets (AND RIDE-ABLE HORSES ZOMG JOY-FACE!) I considered making my own, but CAW and my computer don't get along very well.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ty TJ you have a good eye i did forget about the 60x60 lot
    and indeed there are lots that use 20x30 and 25x25 too >.< totally forgot about them though i do have Town life SP >_> wich has almost nothing BUT 20x30 lots lol :lol: ... I'll look up about how many i need of those though cause i'm not to sure how many lots are 25x25...
    So yeah i'll take your info and look up some lots tomorrow when i wake up.

@Kuncis
    I am planning on giving this town a patch of land where you can make a town/city wich will have city roads, There will also be a neighboorhood area with regular roads BUT i am also thinking about pets and there will be a big area around with dirtroads... However if you wish a town with nothing BUT dirt roads i am making the town area on another layer of the map so if you wish later on after i finish this regular version, i wouldn't mind giving a new part of paint on it and giving you nothing but dirtroads ect.

So keep an eye on this topic, if you like what i did on the terrain painting when i'm done feel free to give me a tell on my comments page and i'll be happy enough to help you out...
    Also i am planning on making more and more empty worlds in the future, since i love terrain painting but never find the time to finish towns by making houses all to easy so, I see this as a nice thing to keep me bussy and this way it doesn't take too long ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    That's fantastic! Really I'd love that. I already like what I see so I imagine it'll just get better from here. Thank you so much I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread for when it's finished! Thank you!!!! <3<3<3
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    NP kuncis ;)
    Anyway bumping this with a Question:
    Does anybody know where i could find the streams to make water flow on higher levels? I have a bridge ready there but i haven't really used this yet :x i did find a few in CAW but they don't really seem to fit in, are there anymore can i import some on some way??? or am i doomed and should i just find another way to make it work?
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited October 2011
    Ivinora wrote:
    NP kuncis ;)
    Anyway bumping this with a Question:
    Does anybody know where i could find the streams to make water flow on higher levels? I have a bridge ready there but i haven't really used this yet :x i did find a few in CAW but they don't really seem to fit in, are there anymore can i import some on some way??? or am i doomed and should i just find another way to make it work?

The river water is all I could find....I just had to spend a lot of time rotating them so that they looked natural and didn't stick up out of the higher ground..
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    How's it coming any new pics?
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited November 2011
    Wow, it looks amazing. :shock: I wish I could paint and sculpt like that, I always struggle. :?
  • Options
    Rainywill5Rainywill5 Posts: 663 Member
    edited November 2011
    that's great i love empty towns i will defo download it
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Sadly i lost this town not to long ago wich had me really upset :/
    My caw broke and i had to re-install and somehow i couldn't get the backup to work correctly so yeah ;~; .
    I am however working on something new (started about a day or 2 ago on this.)
    wich has a same style of map and paintjob. And i'm verry happy with the new trees that came with pets those new yellow trees really fit in nice on the paintstyle i have going.
    I'm only using the lots that come with the game atm and i'll prob end up uploading a version with and without houses (but like i said the houses one will prob only contain the base homes from other EA worlds ;) ).
    I'm not gonna make a topic about it untill i finish this either since i don't have too many time to work on it (we have bought a new home and been fixing it up abit).
    Anyway here's a little tease for how that is looking atm ;)

[img]http://www.maeve.be/sites/default/files/newworld tease_0.png"width=640"[/img]

So yeah sorry about that :/ but hopefully i'll get a chance to show off this new world verry soon ;)
  • Options
    Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited November 2011
    I'm excited; I can't wait to download your world.
  • Options
    bootsycannibalbootsycannibal Posts: 230 Member
    edited November 2011
    I want to know when this is done! Bookmarked!
  • Options
    moefymoefy Posts: 251 Member
    edited November 2011
    i like it verry nice
  • Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited November 2011
    any chance the new one has one or two beach lots leading from the sea to the town?

I am looking for an empty world to play a castaway type game. The people will start out on the beach and later move into the lush flat territory to start setting up houses and what not.