Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Queen of the Lost -- A Legacy/Matriarchy [GEN ONE/Chapter One posted 9/21/11]

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Generation One, Chapter One

Okay, so I suck at sticking with legacies. And, I suck even worse at sticking with stories. But, I'm going to give it another try. It's a legacy based on dreamsong1968's Zodiac Legacy Challenge. I will be following the rules as best as I can, but will sometimes have to break them for story purposes. Anywho, here goes...

Screenshot-12.jpg

I was destined to do great things, to mingle with influential people, to see many extraordinary places, and to make new scientific discoveries. Wait. Scratch that. I was expected to do all of these things, from none other than my family. I'm an only child, and my entire life I've had to live up to my parents' steep expectations. It's caused me a lot of stress, a lot of heartbreak, and a lot of regrets. So, once I turned 18, I said that's it. My name is Hermione Prince, and from now on, I'm doing things my way. I left home, taking nothing with me but my old sleeping bag that had survived many childhood sleepovers. Blocking out loud, belligerent protests of my anguished parents, I dove into the awaiting taxi and paid the cabbie almost all of my money to take me to the mountainous town of Hidden Springs, which was quite a few hours away.

Screenshot-17.jpg

I was dropped off in the center of town, and I'll admit I was quite intimidated. Here I was, homeless in the middle of a strange location, with no source of income and no friends. But, I knew I had the looks, the cunning, the intellect, and the common sense to survive. However, for all of my big talk, things in Hidden Springs didn't start off so well. As I was wondering what exactly I should do first, I heard raucous wolf-whistling. I turned my head and standing there was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of a man smiling suggestively and staring directly at my unmentionables. Okay, I know I am well-endowed. And yes, I've used them to my advantage at times. But I was feeling vulnerable and clearly not in the mood for advances of any sort. So I gave him a piece of my mind and booked it before he could try anything else.

However I will admit that he was really attractive.

Screenshot-16.jpg

Furious and somewhat discouraged (although I didn't want to admit it to myself, much less anyone else), I found myself wandering aimlessly. What was I doing? Where was I going? I was stupid to have done this. I was already starting to miss the comfort of my parents home...which was hours away and impossible to get to, since I was almost out of money. Ready to sink onto the sidewalk in despair, I took notice of my surroundings for the first time since I stepped out of the cab. 'Whole Body Fitness', said the sign in front of me. A gym? A tiny flame of hope ignited in my chest. I had been the star player on the girls lacrosse team in high school. I had gotten tons of scholarships to ivy league schools just to play on their teams. Scouts literally followed me wherever I went my entire junior year of high school. I had been an amazing athlete. And I had always found that a good workout not only cheered me up, but inspired me as well. I looked around; nobody seemed to have noticed me just standing there. I contemplated my options; well, why not? I had nothing else to do, no where else to go. I scurried inside the gym and immediately began to pound out the miles on the treadmill.

I worked out until I couldn't walk another step, until I was dripping of sweat and reeking to high heaven. But I was rejuvenated. I was ready to give Hidden Springs another shot. After taking a refreshing shower, I left the gym and set out to find a secluded spot on the outskirts of town near the mountains to call 'home.'

Screenshot-9.jpg

Finally I stumbled upon a large expanse of grass with a community grill stuck in the middle of it. For some reason, I was drawn to the grill. It was all alone, as was I. I could give it company by using it to cook the meager food I could get my hands on until I had a steady income, and it could provide me with meals. We were meant for each other. Okay, so I 'm a little eccentric. Or crazy. Whatever you want to call it.

As I settled in for the night in my cozy, familiar sleeping bag, next to my new friend 'Grill', I ran through the day's events in my mind. Including the part where I was hit-on. Especially the part where I was hit-on. Although I was upset at the time...he really had been pretty hot. Where was I when we ran into each other? Maybe I could 'stage' another run-in and see if he could forgive me for getting a little out-of-control. And then it hit me: We had been in front of the stadium. The flame of hope grew into a bonfire and engulfed me. That's where I would make my money. I would put my athletics to good use and rake in the dough. Tomorrow, first thing, that's where I was going to go--to sell my skills and work my way to the top. And hopefully run into Mr. Bold-But-Attractive as well. Maybe this journey of mine wasn't going to be so bad after all.

Screenshot-20.jpg

So....what do you think?? Any feedback, positive or negative, would be VERY appreciated and welcomed! Thank you! :)

Comments

• Options
    tommiegirl_catommiegirl_ca Posts: 1,692 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I like it so far! :)

I appreciate the details you put into your thoughts throughout the story.

One suggestion though, try to include more direct dialogue between you and other characters. That's what makes the sims come alive. It really gives me a sense of their interactions and personalities, as well as the emotions.

Otherwise, so far so good.
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited September 2011

One suggestion though, try to include more direct dialogue between you and other characters. That's what makes the sims come alive. It really gives me a sense of their interactions and personalities, as well as the emotions.

Good call with the dialogue. I hadn't even thought of that. I used to be a really good writer when I was younger, but I think I've become a bit rusty now that I'm older. Thank you so much for reading and for your suggestion. I hope you continue to follow my story. I gonna try my best to keep up with it!

Mind if I add you to my friends list? I have read bits of your Real World story and think it's brilliant. I love Brooke and Thor! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    slynnski wrote:

Good call with the dialogue. I hadn't even thought of that. I used to be a really good writer when I was younger, but I think I've become a bit rusty now that I'm older. Thank you so much for reading and for your suggestion. I hope you continue to follow my story. I gonna try my best to keep up with it!

Mind if I add you to my friends list? I have read bits of your Real World story and think it's brilliant. I love Brooke and Thor! :D

You're welcome!! I'm always on a look-out for a good story that I can follow. I've seen dozens of picture threads, and to be honest with you, they are boring. That may explain why a lot of them don't make it. So yours was very refreshing to read, I can tell that you know how to write.
    It shows in the way your express yourself.

I used to write more when I was younger too, but I kind of put it in the backburner when life got in the way. But I never expected that I would end up doing it again with Sims 3. My Real World thread was more of a "hmm..let's try this and see if it works" kind of thing. I forgot how fun it is to write and let my imagination run wild! lol

Thanks for the friend request, and for reading my story. That's my new addiction a the moment, even more so than playing. Haha.

I hope to see an update soon! :wink:

• Options
    edited September 2011
    slynnski wrote:

You're welcome!! I'm always on a look-out for a good story that I can follow. I've seen dozens of picture threads, and to be honest with you, they are boring. That may explain why a lot of them don't make it. So yours was very refreshing to read, I can tell that you know how to write.

I used to write more when I was younger too, but I kind of put it in the backburner when life got in the way. But I never expected that I would end up doing it again with Sims 3. My Real World thread was more of a "hmm..let's try this and see if it works" kind of thing. I forgot how fun it is to write and let my imagination run wild! lol

Thanks for the friend request, and for reading my story. That's my new addiction a the moment, even more so than playing. Haha.

Thanks! Your enthusiasm has definitely inspired me to keep going. And I definitely want to actually read your story from start to finish now so we can both support each other. But for now I need to get to bed, it's after midnight and I have to work in the morning. :shock:

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    slynnski wrote:
    slynnski wrote:

Thanks! Your enthusiasm has definitely inspired me to keep going. And I definitely want to actually read your story from start to finish now so we can both support each other. But for now I need to get to bed, it's after midnight and I have to work in the morning. :shock:

Cheers!

Definitely, that sounds awesome!! I'll be up for a little bit longer.

I have your story bookmarked.

Good night! :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    CHAPTER ONE: I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY

Screenshot-23.jpg

Let me tell you, sleeping on the hard ground is a killer. Even when in a soft sleeping bag. I assure you that I did NOT sleep well. Between waking up what I can only assume was every two hours, I had stinted dreams of faceless, nameless strangers harassing me for unknown reasons, as well as sensations of gnawing hunger. The hunger, at least, was real.

Finally, I woke up right before the breaking of dawn and decided to give up on a good night's sleep. My drowsiness was drowned out by pain in my back and neck, as well as pain in my stomach from wanting food.

Screenshot-25.jpg

The first wild thought my famished body provided me with was that I should catch some fish and throw them on 'Grill' for breakfast. However, I shook myself. Not only do I have absolutely NO fishing experience, I don't have a fishing rod either. Obviously. What was I going to do, catch the squirmy things with my bare hands? Ew. Then I remembered that in my backpack I had a few uncooked hotdogs that I had nicked from my parents fridge right before I had run away. I set to work, with 'Grill' as my aid.

"Thanks, babe," I said to my 'friend' after all was said and done. "I have a feeling you're going to be my only friend for a while."

Screenshot-28.jpg

The sun had risen now. I looked around at the expanse of land I was standing on and felt desolate. What I would give to have a home of my own! For shelter, for a warm bed!

Screenshot-27.jpg

But I knew those things would come with time, and for now I needed to worry about finding myself a job. To motivate myself, I performed my best 'Rocky' pose, did a few air punches, and then set off for the stadium.

Screenshot-30.jpg

I was too nervous to care whether my heckler from yesterday was around to see me, but a quick scan of the area in front of the stadium told me he was nowhere to be found.

Once inside the stadium, I realized that I had no idea where to go. I wandered aimlessly for a few minutes; the building seemed to consist of a large, circular concorse. There didn't seem to be anyone around; clearly it wasn't gameday, but maybe the team was somewhere practicing.

Suddenly, a voice rang out. "Do you need something?" I turned. Standing a short distance behind me was a plain but imposing-looking woman with wavy brown hair. She was dressed in casual work-out clothes, but looked as if she hadn't so much as put one foot on a treadmill.

"Uh, yes," I wavered. "I wanted to speak to someone about a position on the Llama's soccer team." The woman contemplated me quizzacly for a second, then seemed to make up her mind.

"As a matter of fact, I think we could use someone like you," she mused.

Someone like me? What?

"I'm Carly Ruiz, team manager."

"Hermione Prince." I held out my hand. She scrutinized it but didn't take it. Instead, she walked past me along the concorse. I guessed that I was supposed to follow. She led me to a dirty wooden door that said STAFF. Inside was a small and grubby office. I sat down in the hard plastic chair in front of Carly's metal desk. Seated behind it, she interlaced her fingers and gave me a hard, calculating look over the top of her hands.

"It's not a glory job, I'll tell you that much. But the Llamas have been doing lousy lately. Morale is low, and we've been losing fans along with ticket sales. We'll pay you to attend every game; to cheer as loud and as crazily as you can in the stands, and to recruit as many new fans as you can. I see that your body is already pretty toned; that makes me think you have pontential. What sports have you played before?" she inquired.

"Lacrosse," I said. "But I--"

She cut across me. "Good, good. Improve and prove your athleticism to me and you may just garner a spot on the team itself. In the meantime, read this book." And she handed me a thin paperback entitled 'When to Rave and When to Riot'.

I stared. "So, let me get this straight. I'm supposed to be a paid fan?"

"Mhm" Carly didn't blink.

"You're serious," I said incredulously.

"Dead serious," she said, somewhat crossly. "Look, do you want the job or not? It won't pay much, but we need someone like you badly. And like I said, if you prove yourself competent enough, you could land a spot on the team."

A few silent seconds went by. Finally I took the book from her outstretched hand. "I'm in," I said resolutely.

"Excellent," Carly said stoically. "Now, on to meet the team."

Screenshot-45.jpg

Overall, my first day of work (if you could call it that), went well. The team was comprised of an equal mix of men and women. All were friendly, but I couldn't remember names, except for Carly's. She was, to put it bluntly, a real jerk. Sure, she gave me a job. And I was grateful to her for that. But she was standoffish and snooty. That evening, her and I left the stadium together, but silently, her last instructions being "Show up at three tomorrow afternoon. Dress to work out." I fantisized about seeing her dead, and me in her place as manager. Yes, I can be a bit evil sometimes.

Screenshot-32.jpg

After another sporadic night of sleep, I headed for the gym again. I wanted prove I was worthy of being more than just a glorified 'fan' as fast as I could. I pounded away on the treadmill, but before long I noticed a big buff man working out a couple of machines down from me. I longed for social interaction. Real interaction, not smart-*** asides from Carly. Plus I figured this guy and I probably had something in common since we were both at the gym working out. I grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat off my face, then approached him.

Screenshot-33.jpg

"Hi, I'm Hermione. I'm new in town. Do you come to the gym often?"

He looked up and smiled, then got off of the weight machine he was using.

"Hi, Hermione. I'm Ryan Anderson. Welcome to Hidden Springs. No, I don't come here often enough. I paint for a living, and most of the time I'm too cooped up in my house in front of my easel. But it pays off. I've got quite a few works hanging in the local art gallery." He grinned good-naturely.

"Oh wow," I said impressively. "You must work hard and have a lot of talent!"

Screenshot-34.jpg

"Sure," he said. "But I have my moments." He made a goofy face. "Gotta have fun sometimes, ya know?"

I laughed. He seemed to like that.

Screenshot-37.jpg

"Hey maybe I could show you around town? Starting with the art gallery, of course." He chuckled.

"Sure!" I leaned forward enthusiastically.

Screenshot-36.jpg

"But not now though! I think we both need a shower." He scrunched his face and pinched his nose, as if we--or I--reeked.

"Oh," I said, rather embarrassed. "I know. I'm sorry."

Ryan guffawed. "Eh I'm just pulling your leg. But seriously, can I get your number? I'll call you sometime and we'll go out. Believe it or not, I'm pretty socially starved as well."

We exchanged numbers. "Well, see you around, Hermione. It was very nice to meet you." He smiled.

I did too. This exchanged brightened my day considerably. And, did I have date in the near future? The workout plus the excitement of meeting someone new had me ravenous. I figured that I had earned myself a treat, so I headed to the local diner. Although my waiter greeted me with "Hey, pretty lady," and so obviously flirted with me, I could've cared less. My mind was completely on my new friend Ryan, and I couldn't stop smiling.

Screenshot-47.jpg

Thanks for reading! Comments and feedback appreciated. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    *cough*
  • Options
    Melmel2362Melmel2362 Posts: 278 Member
    edited September 2011
    Have you added any more chapters? I really like it so far =]
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Awww, poor Hermione. I can't believe she had to sleep outside in a sleeping bag and grill up hotdogs just to be able to eat. Although GENIUS and cheap. Ooooh I'm excited about Ryan. He seems like a nice guy, and a potential romance for her. It also helps that they are in the same profession, so they have something in common.

Great update! Can't wait for the next one. :P
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Melmel2362 wrote:
    Have you added any more chapters? I really like it so far =]

Thanks for reading and enjoying my story. I haven't worked on it since I put this chapter up since I want to perform some maintenance on my game first before I go any farther (i.e. add some performance mods, etc). I have three days coming up of complete rest and relaxation, so I plan to work on my game then. I'll keep you updated whenever I finally post another chapter. Thanks for your patience. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Awww, poor Hermione. I can't believe she had to sleep outside in a sleeping bag and grill up hotdogs just to be able to eat. Although GENIUS and cheap. Ooooh I'm excited about Ryan. He seems like a nice guy, and a potential romance for her. It also helps that they are in the same profession, so they have something in common.

Thanks! This is actually a 'Zodiacy', and one of the rules is that the founder/heirs must marry someone of a compatable Zodiac sign. Ryan fit the bill, so I'm pretty excited. We'll just have to wait and see what happens though. :D

It might be another couple of days before I get the next chapter up. Hang in there!

I also saw you have another chapter of your story up; I'll read it asap (probably tonight after I get off of work)! :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    slynnski wrote:

Thanks! This is actually a 'Zodiacy', and one of the rules is that the founder/heirs must marry someone of a compatable Zodiac sign. Ryan fit the bill, so I'm pretty excited. We'll just have to wait and see what happens though. :D

It might be another couple of days before I get the next chapter up. Hang in there!

I also saw you have another chapter of your story up; I'll read it asap (probably tonight after I get off of work)! :)

That's cool!! I've never heard of a Zodiacy but it's pretty original. I remember that Hermione is a Scorpio (being one myself lol) but what sign is Ryan? Let me guess...he's either a Cancer or Pisces if Ryan fits the bill. If he's a Cancer or Scorpio, they will be just like Brooke/Jason or Brooke/Matt. :mrgreen:

I can't wait for Hermione to have some romance. I'm looking forward to some steamy hot tub scenes. :twisted:

• Options
    edited September 2011
    slynnski wrote:

That's cool!! I've never heard of a Zodiacy but it's pretty original. I remember that Hermione is a Scorpio (being one myself lol) but what sign is Ryan? Let me guess...he's either a Cancer or Pisces if Ryan fits the bill. If he's a Cancer or Scorpio, they will be just like Brooke/Jason or Brooke/Matt. :mrgreen:

I can't wait for Hermione to have some romance. I'm looking forward to some steamy hot tub scenes. :twisted:

Ryan is indeed a Cancer! Boy, you sure know your Zodiac signs. :P
    I used to be really into the Zodiac when I was in middle school. If someone tells me their birthday, I can automatically tell what sign they are; that's how good I am haha. Now that I'm all grown up I don't set as much store in it, although I will admit that I am a Pisces and my personality fits almost exactly to what Pisceans are supposed to be like. It's scary! :shock:

Anyhow, back to discussing the story....I can't wait for romance either! I'll admit that I wasn't immediately drawn to Ryan when I first saw him, but Hermione was! As soon as she was in the same room as him she had a wish to flirt with him...she hadn't even talked to him yet! So I have a feeling they are going to be really awesome together. :-)

I can't wait to put the next chapter together.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    slynnski wrote:
    slynnski wrote:

Ryan is indeed a Cancer! Boy, you sure know your Zodiac signs. :P
    I used to be really into the Zodiac when I was in middle school. If someone tells me their birthday, I can automatically tell what sign they are; that's how good I am haha. Now that I'm all grown up I don't set as much store in it, although I will admit that I am a Pisces and my personality fits almost exactly to what Pisceans are supposed to be like. It's scary! :shock:

Anyhow, back to discussing the story....I can't wait for romance either! I'll admit that I wasn't immediately drawn to Ryan when I first saw him, but Hermione was! As soon as she was in the same room as him she had a wish to flirt with him...she hadn't even talked to him yet! So I have a feeling they are going to be really awesome together. :-)

I can't wait to put the next chapter together.

Woot woot!! He's a Cancer just like Jason. Awwwwwww :mrgreen: No wonder Hermione wanted to flirt with him at first sight. She can smell the compatibility! Haha yeah I used to be really into astrology when I was younger too. I used to be able to tell people's signs just by their birthdays. In fact, I would ask them when their birthday was just to figure out if I would get along with them. :twisted: But you know what's strange? Almost 99.9 percent of the time, I always, I mean always get along with other Scorpios, Cancer and Pisces. Especially Pisces. I have never met a Pisces I didn't like. lol It's weird because I feel like I can be good friends with you even though we only exchanged posts a few times.

Then there are other people that I'm allergic to. lol Seriously, it's like I can smell the clash between my personality and theirs. And it's funny that Hermione is a Scorpio too. lol Wait, now that I think about it. I tend to make my favorite sims as water signs too. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm such a Scorpio. I used to be a bad Scorpio (holds grudges, demented, guarded, perfectionist, control-freak) but my Sagitarrius hubby balanced me out a little bit. So now I'm way more laid back.

I agree, Hermione and Ryan have great potential. Maybe they're even soulmates. :wink:

I hope you'll be able to update soon!