Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch is telling me to reinstall

So I selected Yes to update my game but both times it says "Some of the files have been modified. Please reinstall."

Reinstall what? The base game and all the expansions? Will I lose my towns already saved and all my created Sims?

I've been running all the expansions etc fine and with the exception of the horrible issue with the cars that EA refuses to fix, I haven't had any serious bugs. I've never had it tell me to reinstall.

Please help.

EDIT - Running on a Mac. OS X Snow Leopard. All my specs are more than fine. Version 9.0.73.012001
"This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited September 2011
    Rename your current Sims 3 file (the one in Documents) Sims3Backup, then move it to the desktop before uninstalling. Then reinstall and run the game to patch it to current level. You should then be able to move items from your Backup folder to the new folder (Saved Games, Sims, Downloads, etc.) back to the new folder. Note: you'll have to reinstall all downloads so do those incrementally -- downloaded Worlds first (especially the Store worlds: Barnacle Bay, Riverview, and Hidden Springs, plus any user-created Worlds from the Exchange), then your Store items. After installing the Worlds, run the game to make sure they're all showing up (that was the major problem I had after the last patch).

Of course, if you're running Snow Leopard you can get away without this, but you'll get that stupid "An Update is Available" message every time you start up, so you might as well get it out of the way now.

This is a total pain in the you-know-what -- if I wasn't such a Sims addict I probably wouldn't bother. :roll:
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)