Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to paint your rocks.A Tutorial for you.

HturnerPHturnerP Posts: 1,488 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
:)Hi are you tired of having your rocks in your worlds looking like this.
rocktutorial01a.png"width=600"
Would you like to have them look like this.
rocktutorial.png"width=600"
I will show you how i go them to look like that with this little Tutorial.first you have to get the textures that you are going to use auntielynds has put a link up that has all the textures that i used in this tutorial so just get them from her link hear.
http://builders.forumotion.net/t522-terrain-texture-links-interesting-effects
ounces you have them put them in your usertool data source textures file.
I am using three rock textures and one dirt texture for this.They are
in this order 1)Mrcrumplebottom_ocean_depths.png
2)Hp_beachrock_light.dds
3)Hp_beachrock_medium.dds
4)Dirt_light_base.dds
Now first sculpt your rocks.When you are done set your brush for the first texture to Size 20/Opacity 10/Falloff 0
And paint the base coat onto your rocks like this.
rocktutorial02.png"width=600"
Then set your brush to Size 15 Opacity 8 Falloff 0
and paint your next texture over the first be careful not to pant it to much or you will cover up the first one you want to see both textures.
rocktutorial03.png"width=600"
Now set your brush to Size 12 Opacity 6 Falloff 0
And pant on the next texture so you see less overlapping lines. Like this.
rocktutorial04.png"width=600"
Now set your brush to Size 30 Opacity 5 Falloff 0 and pick your Dirt texture and go over all of your rocks but don't click no more then one or two times.Like this.
rocktutorial05.png"width=600"
You are now done all you have to add in your plants.
rocktutorial06.png"width=600"
So have fun with this you could use more then three textures but try not to use more then the 8 textures per chuck boundary.This would work on more then just rocks you can use it four your other terrains in your world.Hope this is a help.
Pleas post some pictures of your rocks or other terrain panting using this method so others can have a idea as to what can be down with it.thanks...
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    TinTinnerson48TinTinnerson48 Posts: 4,151 Member
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for sharing! That looks really nice!
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited August 2011
    Thank you for taking the time to put this together! That's my favorite way of making rocks look right too. :D
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    :)Thanks TinTinnerson48 BSIRegina it takes some time to do but i think it dose look better.
  • Options
    SandrineDSandrineD Posts: 149
    edited August 2011
    ... but, definitely worth the time and effort. I love to see creativity leading to great looking results.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I agree, HTurnerP. There's nothing like opening a world for the first time in my game and seeing rocks that look like all someone did was to click the Auto Paint button. At that point I exit the game without saving and uninstall the world. There's also nothing like the experience of opening a world for the first time and be in awe over how beautifully everything is created. Those are the types of worlds I keep in my game.
  • Options
    Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited August 2011
    It might be useful to remove the question mark in the title as it appears to be a question you're asking the community-otherwise, great tutorial, and I'll make sure I use it in the future!
  • Options
    WombasticWombastic Posts: 116
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for this great step by step. Terrain painting is one of my weaker spots as a world builder; I can think of some areas in Port Phoenix that these tips will really help with.
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited August 2011
    What an utterly fantastic tutorial, HTurner. It will help a lot of beginners and regulars alike.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    BSIRegina wrote:
    I agree, HTurnerP. There's nothing like opening a world for the first time in my game and seeing rocks that look like all someone did was to click the Auto Paint button. At that point I exit the game without saving and uninstall the world. There's also nothing like the experience of opening a world for the first time and be in awe over how beautifully everything is created. Those are the types of worlds I keep in my game.
    I don't like worlds like that either But train panting Duse tack a bit of practice to get it to look nice.
    Conor
    What an utterly fantastic tutorial, HTurner. It will help a lot of beginners and regulars alike.
    I like to share what i learn.
    Wombastic
    Thanks for this great step by step. Terrain painting is one of my weaker spots as a world builder; I can think of some areas in Port Phoenix that these tips will really help with.
    I'm glad i coud help.
    Lennon777
    It might be useful to remove the question mark in the title as it appears to be a question you're asking the community-otherwise, great tutorial, and I'll make sure I use it in the future!
    Thanks I gess i shoud remove it.
    SandrineD
    ... but, definitely worth the time and effort. I love to see creativity leading to great looking results.
    I think so to.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    But train panting Duse tack a bit of practice to get it to look nice.

Yes it does and I still struggle with it sometimes.

Over the months I've watched as your worlds get better each time you make a new one. You've put much effort into learning and improvement. :)
  • Options
    WombasticWombastic Posts: 116
    edited August 2011
    I did some touch-up using these tips (but diff. textures) so as requested here is a screenshot:

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-e5f-aw8ySrM/Tk85KcA9djI/AAAAAAAAAVE/k--b8AuxIdw/s1152/PP_BH_Painting.jpg[/img]

I'm still not the greatest terrain painter, but using this method has made this area feel much better to me, if still not into a strong "good"; in other words it definitely makes a so-so painter (me) noticeably better in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Wombastic wrote:
    I did some touch-up using these tips (but diff. textures) so as requested here is a screenshot:

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-e5f-aw8ySrM/Tk85KcA9djI/AAAAAAAAAVE/k--b8AuxIdw/s1152/PP_BH_Painting.jpg[/img]

I'm still not the greatest terrain painter, but using this method has made this area feel much better to me, if still not into a strong "good"; in other words it definitely makes a so-so painter (me) noticeably better in my opinion.
    I think it looks good maybe you could pant some more dirt or weeds under the trees to just a thought.Thanks for posting.
    BSIRegina
    Yes it does and I still struggle with it sometimes.

Over the months I've watched as your worlds get better each time you make a new one. You've put much effort into learning and improvement.
    Thanks Regina i do try to learn to do a bit better with each world i make.I am always trying to learn more ways to do things.Some of the more technical stuff like playing with files and stuff i fined hared to understand so i stay away from them.
  • Options
    Amy6302Amy6302 Posts: 62
    edited August 2011
    Hey it works! God i've been trying to do that since CAW came out
    Thanks so much, now i dont have to find away around having mountains in my world lol
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    You know what, Wombastic? That looks really good! There is one thing that really stands out to me, and that's all of the rocks that are in the exact same position. You can use the rotate tool to move them around and use one single rock to create at least a dozen. This is the exact reason I hate placing rocks so badly, because I go through and place all the rocks then spend hours adjusting them so they don't look repetitive. :oops:

Here's an area I'm working on right now. Bear in mind it's not anywhere near finished, but there are no more than six different rocks here, just rotated and sometimes merged to make completely different looking rocks:

RockVariety.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    BSIRegina wrote:
    You know what, Wombastic? That looks really good! There is one thing that really stands out to me, and that's all of the rocks that are in the exact same position. You can use the rotate tool to move them around and use one single rock to create at least a dozen. This is the exact reason I hate placing rocks so badly, because I go through and place all the rocks then spend hours adjusting them so they don't look repetitive. :oops:

Here's an area I'm working on right now. Bear in mind it's not anywhere near finished, but there are no more than six different rocks here, just rotated and sometimes merged to make completely different looking rocks:

RockVariety.jpg
    I do that alot to in some parts of my worlds.Saves some time with sculpting so i don't have to flatten lots.Like when i have played with the terrain.
  • Options
    Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited August 2011
    Thank you so much, HturnerP . This tutorial is perfect!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    :)Thanks Valgon57 Hop it helps.
  • Options
    RainbowBluesRainbowBlues Posts: 319
    edited January 2012
    Thankyou for the rocks tutorial! I just thought I was using lame textures or something, because everyone else's looked better than mine...

And wombastic, I love your rocks :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thankyou for the rocks tutorial! I just thought I was using lame textures or something, because everyone else's looked better than mine...

And wombastic, I love your rocks :)
    :)Hi i am glad i could help.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    What's the image size limit on the forums nao? I painted my mountains and I want to see what you guys think.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Never mind; what do you think of my rocks?

Hsyjg.jpg

XnV93.jpg

0au6X.jpg

QJd8q.jpg

I took the pics in EIG.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Never mind; what do you think of my rocks?

Hsyjg.jpg

XnV93.jpg

0au6X.jpg

QJd8q.jpg

I took the pics in EIG.
    :)Hi they look good to me I think they will look even better when you ad in the trees.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    :D Cool! I tend to get pedantic and insecure about stuff if I try to do it without input :3 Thankyou!
  • Options
    forstbergs13forstbergs13 Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Thanks, this thread helped me loads to figure out what I want to do with my own painting :)

I would like to have Mrcrumplebottom_ocean_depths paint, but I couldn't find it :(
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks, this thread helped me loads to figure out what I want to do with my own painting :)

I would like to have Mrcrumplebottom_ocean_depths paint, but I couldn't find it :(
    :)Hi i think this is the one you are looking for.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/258302.page

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top