Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Optional vacation days

Our Sims get days off work when they get married, and mothers get a few days off work when they give birth. But they can't go back to work until all of those vacation days have been used up. If a Sim gets pregnant right after her wedding, she could be stuck at home for a week or more.

Our female Sims shouldn't be forced to become stay-at-home Moms if they don't want to. It's nice that they're given those vacation days, but why do they have to use them? Baby-sitters aren't that expensive, and my Workaholic and Ambitious Sims get pretty restless stuck at home with their screaming kids.

On that note, why can't the mother and father share baby-related vacation days? It's not as if Sims breast-feed (except in The Sims Medieval), so there's no reason that the father isn't perfectly capable of caring for a newborn without the mother's help.

They should go back to the way TS2 vacation days worked: You accumulated vacation days over time and after family events, but you weren't forced to use them immediately. If you wanted to go back to work an hour after giving birth, you could. And you could save your vacation days for something more fun, like a week-long vacation during the Elder stage, or taking a day off to work on skills without losing that day's pay.

Anyone agree with me? Speak up! :)

Edit: typos

Comments

• Options
    OnAvieOnAvie Posts: 1,611 Member
    edited August 2011
    I agree. :thumbup:
  • Options
    tigger94tigger94 Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2011
    I agree too! My female sim hasn't been able to work for 11 days now. She got married, had her first child, and still can't go back to work yet. The entire family is almost broke, and this is turning out to be ridiculous, considering that her job is a babysitter!!! :( (And yes, the husband works, but can't seem to get a promotion... :?)
  • Options
    MzFearceMzFearce Posts: 127
    edited August 2011
    Same here. My sim has reached level nine in the medical career track. Her liftime wish is to be a world renowned surgeon. She's been stuck in the house for the longest cause she just had twins. I really wish she would go to work already.
  • Options
    TastyLumpia4077TastyLumpia4077 Posts: 734 New Member
    edited August 2011
    In my game, poor Morgana Wolff went two or three weeks without going to work because she got re-married, immediately got pregnant, then got pregnant again before she used up all her vacation days.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,408 Member
    edited August 2011
    I agree with this also. It's a lot better then having to have them take unpaid days off and they only get 3 max that way. This would be really helpful if your sims are celebrating the holidays together..
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    And if they could choose their vacation days, they could skip their child's boring, larva newborn stage and be home for the toddler stage to teach them skills.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    6803b9ec_bump3.jpg

Poor Morgana spent most of her Adult life stage at home.
  • Options
    XKidsInLoveXXKidsInLoveX Posts: 4,910 Member
    edited August 2011
    Very much agree.
    Edit:
    Also, i think every like 3 job stages you should gain vacation days. Like, level three, gain 1. Level 6, gain 2, level 9, gain three. Then by ten you have 6. And every week after that at level 10, you get 1 more day.
    Edit:
    Typo
    Edit:
    typo again...lol.
  • Options
    djacob16djacob16 Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2013
    agreed
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,112 Member
    edited February 2013
    Agreed. It would be brilliant if you could pick and choose.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited February 2013
    We also should be able to choose who stays home with the baby. I also think we should have the option of going to work on holidays. We would have to manually select the option, but they could go if they choose. So they wouldn't have to miss valuable work (promotion) days just because it's a holiday.