Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CLOSED: SIMSOCIETY MAGAZINE - SEE THREAD FOR DETAILS

SimSociety Magazine - for living life in the fast lane
(EDIT)
the name changed to SimSociety (from SimTatler) to avoid copyright issues with Tatler magazine. Also, the tagline changed for the same reason. (Just in case of course :) )

So, After reading some sim magazines and noting how good they were, I decided that I'd have a go at making one of my own.

The idea was simple: A fresh and modern publication, for modern, wealthy sims.

Currently, there are only two writers: myself and my brother. We have the cover art ready, along with a cover story.

CONTENT:

I plan for issues to be every quarter, or one every season to look at it another way.

The issue would have to be of a very high standard for it to take this long in production, so I'm asking the help of fellow simmers to write with me.

The main articles would be:
-Property
-Fashion
-Places to eat/go out
-Technology
-Luxury goods (cars etc.)

Of course, there would be specials every issue, and special themes like Christmas or anniversary issues.

CC and Mods:

I have not modded my game, and never plan on modding my game. All I use to take photos of my sims are movie maker cheats and the cameraman mode.

I ask that any articles being contributed are for the Offcial Game Only (ie. featuring content from EPs,SPs and Sims 3 Store)

If you think you would be interested, please place your name below (how you would like to be credited in the issue) and the area you would like to write about.

**This magazine is made as if it were meant to be read by SIMS** Therefore, any interviews would be with sims from the game such as the Altos, Landgraabs or any other high-profile sims you can think of or have created (without CC or Mods).

If you agree to take part in this project, you will be given further instructions via a Private Message.

Please note: As Editor, I will have the final say in the article, and may edit your article to improve spelling or grammar if I need to.
If I think an article is inappropriate for publocation,then I will ask you to re-write the article for the final issue.

I hope you will be interested, and I look forward to expanding this magazine to sit next to the likes of SFMagazine and other well-known issues.

Happy Simming =)

Comments

• Options
    UshingburgUshingburg Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    I'd be glad to help! 8)
    I prefer writing reviews for this kind of thing, so could I write reviews of the expansion/stuff packs, and/or maybe reviews of new houses built on youtube*?
    *By this I mean houses build by chrillsims3, sharffirXD bstones94, sims3da7 or you, or houses reccomended by viewers. I'd probably manage to do both, but if you don't like one then I'll just do the other. If you don't like neither than I'll have to think of something else to do :)
  • Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2011
    Ushingburg wrote:
    I'd be glad to help! 8)
    I prefer writing reviews for this kind of thing, so could I write reviews of the expansion/stuff packs, and/or maybe reviews of new houses built on youtube*?

As you probably saw in the introductory post, the magazine is made to be read by sims. You could definately write articles on how the new content would impact on sims (e.g. how getting a pet in October may affect them)
    For houses on YouTube, I'm going to say no for now. I'd prefer to get creators on the Exchange to submit work to be included.
  • Options
    CLPrince2010CLPrince2010 Posts: 158 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Hi, I'm CLPrince. Do you do articles on fashion, I could see what the 'top' sims are currently wearing and I could do a make over on a unfortunate simmy. Or I could do something like interviews. Either job will do :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Do you do articles on fashion, I could see what the 'top' sims are currently wearing and I could do a make over on a unfortunate simmy. Or I could do something like interviews. Either job will do :)

You can do both if you like. And you are definately not going to use CC? =)

If you wanted to do interviews, you could make up a sim 'fashionista' and ask them to reveal their secrets or you could interview a celebrity sim on the impact they think they have on this season's fashion etc.

Also, you could do a 'get the look' page, where you could list individual items sims must have.
  • Options
    jake06jake06 Posts: 3,456 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Good Luck on your magazine, May I suggest some things?

Try to give your magazine a name, and Try to fancy this page up by making banners and siggys. There are many tutorials out there that'll help :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    jake06 wrote:
    Try to give your magazine a name

The Magazine does have a name. EDIT: (new name) SimSociety

I must have deleted it by accident :)

As for a banner, that's a good idea.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Never mind, If it wasn't I musn't have seen it hehe
    I'm not good at making them but I could give it a go if you want?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    SimTatler Magazine -
    **This magazine is made as if it were meant to be read by SIMS** Therefore, any interviews would be with sims from the game such as the Altos, Landgraabs or any other high-profile sims you can think of or have created (without CC or Mods).

Why don't you interview actual simmers. Not Sims but the community. I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to put in their in-put

EDIT: And if you want it too be read by sims why don't you let them know where here like another universe or something make it fun. if that makes sence... And if you can, Open up a email account and its own website....This may sound complicated but it will improve the mag and make it look more "high-end" My magazine has a donations thread, Which I guess doesn't really affect you in any way because you can't download anything. But pictures and things are still good. If its OK with my boss I could help out with organizing and help with the writing. But I doubt that. Shes very strict. But if you have any questions be sure to ask, I'm sure my boss will let me help...Well I hope so.........
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    jake06 wrote:
    Open up a email account and its own website....This may sound complicated but it will improve the mag and make it look more "high-end"

I already have the website set up, well the name anyway... I have the domain www.wibblelikeajelly.com, so I thought I'd add a sub-domain for the magazine: ssmagazine.wibblelikeajelly.com
    As for email, I thought I'd just give everyone their own "Sim Society" email address. e.g. ??.simssociety@live.co.uk
    jake06 wrote:
    But if you have any questions be sure to ask, I'm sure my boss will let me help...Well I hope so.........

Thanks for the help. I'm sure over time it will be very much appreciated =)

As for interviewing simmers, I thought of the idea for reading a magazine for sims because no-one (I know of) have used the basis before. However, if creators and players wanted to contribute then they could submit their own creations or advertise.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Well. If it is for sims than keep your idea no one has used the basis before I'm sure people will love the idea and read the magazine
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    jake06 wrote:
    Well. If it is for sims than keep your idea no one has used the basis before I'm sure people will love the idea and read the magazine

Thanks for the support :)

I'd love to have you on the team but I looked at your magazine thread (I can't actually find the magazine. Is it out yet?) and I saw that you can't work for us as well. Oh well...

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Uh unfortuently. No our first issue was meant to be out end of July so we must be on hold..... For now but I have missed a lot of information and bumps since in had a little vacation.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    okay, but when do you want me to start and yeah, I won't use ANY cc :) and if you want me to I'll start of with Bridegport and work my way around the towns. We'll have our own Fashionista who'll do make overs and is in the stylist career : this will complete the make-over side and the interviews will be about celebs. I'll make her now and I'll upload her and send you the link. :P
  • Options
    Sims3FrogSims3Frog Posts: 51
    edited August 2011
    I wouldn't mind being a writer, the problem is, what could I write about? I'm terrible at picking topics (:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Sims3Frog wrote:
    I wouldn't mind being a writer, the problem is, what could I write about? I'm terrible at picking topics (:

We need someone to do either Travel (What to do abroad etc.) or Luxury Lifestyle (latest must have items **Not Fashion**)

My brother (co-editor) is simply a columnist, so if you like you could write a column about a specific topic, and also contribute to one of the above ideas. :)

---x---

EDIT: there will be one email address for the magazine - ssmagazine@live.co.uk

You can use this to send your writing to. Please send the files in PLAIN TEXT (.txt) format. As long as you use a program like Notepad or TextEdit (for Mac users) then you'll be OK.

If you want any specific pictures in the report, you can send them along with the text, just please not too many in one message! (Three or four pictures will be fine for a two/three page story)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    As fashion editor for SimsSociety Magazine, I decided it would be a good time to give one of my co-workers a make-over. And that unfortunate simmy was our lovley tattoo artist.

He was boring in that plain black suit. It made him look as if he was permanently attending a furenal. And boy did it show his size off, we need to give him a new hairstyle and a really cute way to show his wealth but also be fashionable at the same time.
    Before:Screenshot-10-1.jpg
    After:Screenshot-11-1.jpg

Wow, what a big change! All I had to do was put the 'cas' in the word casual. He seemed uncomfortable in that suit. But now in a pair of comfy but formal trousers and a really nice blazer topped off with a new hair cut and shaven off side burns really showed the true man's colours. He was simply wonderful, and it only cost a simple £50 simelones - it also showed us a smeak peak of his tattoos- this would simply be sending the ladies of Bridgeport scrambling to grab a sneak peak of our delicious berrypie.

(This is the article for the make-over. The article for the interview is coming soon.)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    That aritcle's great :)

I was thinking of placing this story on a DPS (double-page-spread), so if you could have some more pictures of him afterwards, and if possible, before, then could you send them along with the story (instructions above, are you OK with them?)

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay, yup I've read them. I think I've sent you an email with the article, any changes or added text is fine by me. I'll try to get before and after pics since he had his prginal outfit saved as outfit 2 when I made him over :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay, yup I've read them. I think I've sent you an email with the article, any changes or added text is fine by me. I'll try to get before and after pics since he had his prginal outfit saved as outfit 2 when I made him over :)

That's great :)

Haven't checked my emails yet this morning so I'll be sure to go look now.

For the photos, I've had some ideas for the shoot.

I thought perhaps an exposed-brick background with a tattoo chair in the background...
    Do you know how to use movie maker cheats? If you do then you could choose a pose for him from there.

Of course, though, as fashion editor you have the final word. :)

--- xx ---

Just another thing for everyone to read:

I'd like everyone to make a sim-self of themselves. Could you make them and send them to the magazine address for me to take pictures of. They'll be used alongside your articles to show you wrote it.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm not sure on how I do the poses, but I'll have a look and yh good idea, I'll have a lot in Sunset valley when I can do my 'shoots' :L Thanks for all the help :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm not sure on how I do the poses,

If you just Google [google]sims 3 moviemakercheats[/google] you should get some info. It's a really powerful way of unlocking all of your sims' interactions without modding the game :)

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I have done, but I thought you could use this photo for the background, but keep the before and after shots - so you have an after shot as the background - and then you can edit my sim. :D

Screenshot-23.jpg

or ...

Screenshot-29.jpg

My Simmy

Screenshot-8.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Do you know how big those photos are (in pixels)? I just need an idea so I know how to position them :)

Nice sim BTW, is there a download link so I can take some snaps of my own? (Sorry if the CC goes on my computer, I just don't use any... I'll try to make her look as nice as she does now though :) )
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    they are 400 round about. They were edited in photobucket. And yeah. I'll edit her with no cc and post her up for you :) And thank you.

The link for her: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4465663

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for that :) I rec'd for you cause I'm sure it's worth it :D

I'm sure I must get really annoying saying "Don't use CC" all the time!

--- xx ---
      For the magazine, if everyone feels comfortable in doing so, I'd like your first names to put next to your SimSelf. Could you please email these along with stories and pictures to the address above. (just a reminder, it's ssmagazine@live.co.uk)
      Also, I was thinking about going monthly with this if everyone feels up to it... I'm only asking for one or two stories for each person, so I'm sure we could do it. What do you think? I think it will help get us a better reputation as a magazine :)
      If everyone could choose appropriate traits when making their SimSelf that would be great, as I plan to include whatever you put in the magazine!
      Also, I'd like everyone to write a short paragraph (two or three lines) for the Editorial at the front of the page just on a topic to do with the Sims. This issue's topic is
    Do you think the magazine will be a hit and why?
    If you could send these along with stories and photos to the address above ^^ that would be appreciated. :)