Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a City Challange, Sims 3 version

Tom Simkins’ Rules for the Build a City Challenge Sims 3 Style

This version of the challenge is based on the version by Carizzo08, simentalove, and SimsDivaD on the My Sims Life.
http://simsdivad.wordpress.com/build-a-city-challenge/
I also thank their sources

Intro:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
— Eleanor Roosevelt
The goal of the challenge is to begin with an empty neighborhood and develop it into a city over several generations. To clarify what I have changed, I have made the challenge (I believe) easier and more updated to expansion packs. Now to begin:

Cheats that I use:
testingCheatsEnabled true
debugBuy
familyfunds
freeRealEstate (moving in NPC household)

Word Color Key:
Base Game Challenge.
Nightlife Add-ons
Ambitions Add-ons
World Adventures Add-ons
If you don’t have the expansion pack listed above, ignore that colored script.

Preparation for the Challenge

Neighborhood
Before you begin, I should mention that I found it helpful to create a back-story to the neighborhood. This will help create a look to the neighborhood that you desire.

First off, choose a neighborhood that has a map that you want to use. This could be either a pre-made neighborhood or a custom made one.
Next, go to edit town and delete all lots in the neighborhood. Exceptions to lots with no/little sim-made objects on them (Purely nature).
Note: Because I deleted almost every lot, I built a garden lot that is labeled “no visitors allowed” to make up for the lack of plants. I only let a gardener sim in there to get seeds once every 2 rounds.

The NPC Household
The first thing you will create is the NPC household. The household will represent the townies that you cannot control. It will consist of 4 young/adult males, 4 young/adult females and are made like this:
Go to create a sim.
Create a person. Randomize their traits/favorites.
You may customize their looks and voice, but you are not supposed to know their traits.
Do this 7 more times.
When done, you may create relations, but only to three sims.
NOTE: You will not play this household.

When back at the Neighborhood view, you may build their house as you like. Feel free to give it a theme (hotel, asylum, government housing…), but remember you will not play this household.
Then move the NPC family in using the freeRealEstate cheat.

Rules for the NPCs
1. You may not play the NPCs unless you move them into your household.
2. No moving NPCs in just to move them out… that’s cheating.
3. The NPCs are non-replenishable. You only get 8. (optional)
4. They DO count towards your population.
5. However, their deaths only count if you moved them in.
6. Fires that occur on the lot while you are on it count towards the fire limit.
7. Lastly, you may visit the actual household only after you became best friends with one of the NPCs.
By now, you should have a mostly blank neighborhood with only a few “parks” and an NPC household of 8 people. If you do, you may continue.

Your Sim founder
Time to create your sim… Just do it like normal. The exception would be that you have to move them into an empty lot since nothing else exists yet.
Note: Any sims after the founder may move into prebuilt houses.

Settings/How to Play
• Story Progression - You can choose to play with Story Progression ON or OFF
o Story Progression/Aging OFF – As your neighborhood expands, you must play EVERY household for the same amount of time
 If you do this, turn off ageing and manuly age your sims (Keep track of their ages)
 In this option, you should play each household for 1 week. After that week, switch households. Once all households are played, the cycle has ended and a new one can begin.
 This style is most simular to the Sims 2 style.
o Story Progression ON/Aging On – Change households at will for the duration of the challenge. Play out the lives of Sims you find interesting, strategically choose to play Sims whose lifetime wishes or developed traits could advance the community in some way, or simply free play for fun.
o Or, you could use a mod that makes aging simular to the Sims 2. That will prevent you from having to cheat to age up your sims, but keep the rotation style of the Sims 2 challenge.
• Replenish the NPC Lot – This optional rule allows you to continue to add Sims to your NPC Lot to keep “townies” in the neighborhood for the duration of the challenge.
• Change the Lifespan of your Sims – It is recommended that you play this challenge either at the Default Lifespan (Normal/90 Days) or the Long Lifespan (Long/190 Days) since you are probably going to count the days manualy.. However, you can choose any lifespan you want.
In the beginning, I had trouble creating a gardener. What I ended up doing was placing a bookstore, bought the beginer’s guide to gardening, then deleted the bookstore. You can only do that once however.

The (actual) Challenge
The goal of this challenge is to create a city with a population of 50,000 or more people. Of course, you will not be playing 50,000 sims. That would be extreme.
Instead a simple formula is used:
# of Playable/NPC sims X Sim Multiplier (SM) = Population
In words: The sims you play combined with the NPC household times the sim multiplier equals the population of the city.
To make this an actual challenge, you have almost every job and service locked. The requirements to unlock them are listed below.

Sim Multiplier (SM)
Now, you may be wondering how to get the Sim Multiplier.
Well, the Sim Multiplier (SM) begins at 1 and is raised by:

+1 for your first community lot
+1 when you reach a total of 5 community lots
+1 for every 5 additional community lots
+1 when the first Sim invests in a business (see the Investing section)
+3 when 4 businesses have Investors
+5 when all 11 businesses have Investors
+2 when the first Sim owns 1 business outright
+6 when Sims own 4 businesses
+10 when all 11 businesses have owners
+5 for each Airport

Unlocking Community Lots
The number of Community Lots must be less then the number of households. When you begin, you have two households (Founder and NPC) and 1 community lot. That means you must add another household to gain a community lot.

Adding Community Lots
Now that you know how to increase the limit on community lots, you need to know how to add them.
A community lot can be placed at any time, but only one can be added per cycle.
What type of community lot you add depends on what you have unlocked:
Note: Expansion Pack Requirements override the normal requirements unless otherwise stated.

Art Gallery: Unlocked when 4 brilliant or better paintings AND 4 brilliant or better scuptures are created but are not sold. When the Art Gallery is created, these must be placed in the gallery when the household(s) is played. Unlocked when a Sim achieves the Master Painter Skill Challenge.

Bookstore: Unlocked with a population of 1,000. This earns you 1 CAS Sim. [You don’t have to add the new Sims as you earn them. You can save up and add whole families if you choose.]

Bus Station: This is a unique building that can share a lot with a different building so it is an exception to the 1 lot per round rule. It is avalibe when population reaches 1,000. This is mainly for looks, but it lowers costs for travel to forgihn locations. (See Travel) adds 2 CAS. Only one Bus Station may be added.

Central Park: Unlocked when a Sim in the Politics career track becomes the Mayor (Level 7)

Chinese Garden: Unlocked when 5 households have reached Visa level 3.

Consignment Store: Unlocked once 2 sims have maxed a creating skill (Gardening, Inventing, Painting, Sculpting, Writing)

Dive Bar: One is unlocked for every 10 households.

Dance Club: One is unlocked for every 20 households.

Dojo/Martial Arts Studio: Unlocked when 3 sims have topped the martial arts skill.

Hangout: One is unlocked when you reach the population levels of 100, 1000, and 30,000.

Junkyard: One is unlocked for every 2000 population. Max of 2.

Lounge/Vampire Bar: One is unlocked for every 3 maxed careers or 5 stared celebrities. Earns you 2 CAS Sims [You don’t have to add the new Sims as you earn them. You can save up and add whole families if you choose.]

Graveyard: Must have 20 deaths first. Until then, if you really hate ghosts, you can keep the tombstone in someone’s inventory.

Community Gyms and Workout Facilities: Must have at least 5 Sims maximized the Athletic Skill in order to have enough demand for these facilities.

Hospital: Available when population reaches 1000. Adds 1 CAS.

Spa: Unlocked with a population of 500.

Community Pools: Available when population reaches 500

Laundromat: Can be built/placed when 10 households don’t have any washing machines/dryers.

Library: Available when population reaches 250.

Nectary: Unlocked when 3 sims have topped the necter making skill.

School: Your kids cannot go to school until the population reaches 250. Once it does, place your school, and they can go off to school each day. This will earn you 5 CAS Sims, which you could use as students perhaps. [You don’t have to add the new Sims as you earn them. You can save up and add whole families if you choose] Also unlocks a job in Education.

Subways: Available when population reaches 20,000

Supermarket: Unlocked with a population 3,000. At this time, you can order pizza delivery. This earns you 1 CAS Sim. [You don’t have to add the new Sims as you earn them. You can save up and add whole families if you choose.]

Other Parks and Beaches: Can be added any time

Workplaces: See Unlocking Jobs

Airports: Similar to the bus station, these have no particular use besides adding 5 CAS and 5 SM. Also makes traveling cheaper. (See Travel)
There are two ways to get an airport:
1. Sims from the community donate 1,000,000 simolians to the city. This can be done trough manual taxing of each household (take away money each week until it reaches 1 million) or hard donations (Bob donates 500,000 to the city). Money cheats not allowed.
2. The population reaches 50,000. However, since the challenge ends here it is recommended you do this the other way.

Note: If you decide to use the combined venues from Sims 3 Nightlife, then you must have unlocked both venues.

Unlocking Jobs
At the beginning ALL careers are locked, meaning no job for your founder. You must find other ways to make money (painting, novels, music, gardening, scavenging, etc.). This section describes how to unlock each career.

Architectual Design: A position is unlocked when City Hall has been placed, there are 8 households, and the painting skill has been maxed.

Athletic: The Athletic Career earns an open position for each sim who completes all athletic skill challenges (e.g. Body Builder, Marathon Runner, and Fitness Nut). It is unlocked when it has been topped.

Business: The Business Career track is unlocked for the family that owns a share in 3 businesses. A position is also unlocked for a family that owns 2 lots. It is unlocked when it has been topped.

Criminal evil/thief: Wherever there are people there is also crime. The Criminal Career track gets one opening when your population hits 100. Every time a Sim reaches the top of the criminal career they open an additional position in both the Criminal and Law Enforcement careers. The Criminal career is never truly unlocked, but can have many open positions.

Culinary: The Culinary Career earns an open position for each player who completes two of the cooking skill challenges (e.g. Star Chef, World-Class Chef, and Menu Maven). It is unlocked when it has been topped.

Education: A position is unlocked for every 250 population. Never competely unlocked.

Film/Acting: A position is unlocked for every 3 sims who max their careers OR for every 2 sims have completed the Prolific Writer skill challange. Unlocked when topped.

Firefighter: Unlocked when 3 fires occur AND a police station is built.

Ghost Hunter: A position is unlocked when both the graveyard and the Science Center are built.

Journalism: When the town reaches a population of 1,000 the first position in Journalism is unlocked. An additional spot is added for every 5 Sims who reach the top of ANY career increasing the number of newsworthy Sims in the community.

Law Enforcement (Forensic Analyst/Special Agent)/Investigator: A position in Law Enforcement OR a position in Investigation is unlocked when one of the following events occurs:
• There have been 3 burglaries
• The population reaches 500
• There have been 3 fires in residential homes (Not a requirement if playing with Ambitions)
• A playable Sim reaches the top of the Criminal career
• Once either career is topped, both are unlocked.

Medical: The first position in the Medical career is unlocked when the town population reaches 1,000. Additional openings are available for every 5,000 residents.

Military: A position is open for every 3 households. It is unlocked when it has been topped.

Music Rock/Symphonic: The Music Career earns an open position for each sim who acheves the Money Maker Skill Challenge for Guitar, Piano, Drums, or Bass or when the population reaches 3000. It is unlocked when it has been topped.

Politics: Politics is completely unlocked as a career choice when the town reaches of population of 1,000, but is only available to one Sim at a time. Unlocked when topped.

Science: A Science Career position will be earned every time any Sim transitions into Adulthood (NOT Young Adulthood) with maxed Logic or when 2 sims max the inventing skill. A position is also opened for every 3 electrocutions by electronics. Is unlocked when topped.

Stylist: A position is unlocked when there are 10 households and the chrisma skill has been maxed twice.

Part Time Jobs: Unlocked when building is unlocked.
Skill Careers: All are unlocked when City Hall is built.

Locked Services
At the start of the challenge, many of the services are locked:
Service, Initial State, Requirement to Unlock

Newspaper Delivery, Unlocked, -

Butler, Locked, Population 10,000

Police/Burglar Alarm, Locked, Unlocked with Law Enforcement Career

Fire Department/Fire Alarm, Locked, Unlocked with Fire Fighter Career

Adoption Service, Unlocked, -

Pizza Delivery, Locked, Population 3,000

Repairman, Locked, Population 500

Maid – Recurring, Locked, Population 500

Baby-sitter, Unlocked, -

Increasing Households
At the start of the challenge, you begin with one household. You can increase households in the following ways:
1. Getting and Using CAS Sim points (mentioned in Adding Community Lots)
2. Having/Adopting children who move out when young adult or older.
3. Moving out a sim who is a young adult or older.

Traveling:
At any time in the game, your sims can visit one of the destinations created in World Adventures… for a price.
If there is no bus station, you will add 2,000 simolians to the price of the vacation (use the familyfunds cheat)
If there is a bus station, you add 1,000 simolians to the price of the vacation.
If you build an airport, the price is as stated in the game.

To end, I would like to say that your feedback would be helpful. As I don’t have the Generations expansion yet, any comments on how to incorporate it would be great.

Stuff I would like to change but need help:
1. Requirements for the Athletic, Film, and Music Careers, The reason being that these are (in my mind) entertainment careers and the requirements should reflect that… but I can’t seem to think of any requirements.
2. Play testing, I am trying to test this out, but I would like more people so I can check…
3. Generation add-ons. (I don’t have the Generations Expansion yet)

Have fun with the challenge.
-Tom Simkins

Comments

• Options
    Tom_SimkinsTom_Simkins Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2011
    Sorry for the weird text issues... I don't know what happened.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bump?
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited July 2011
    This challenge looks really interesting and I would like to play it I think :) There are a ton of empty worlds, and even some with NO lots placed that this would work really well in.

I'm curious, though - how do you get more people into your neighborhood at the start in order to get more community lots? Can you tighten things up a little more as for what restricts what?

At the very beginning of the challenge you have what? You have the 8 NPC's in one house hold and you have your founder. Are there more houses? You know that story progression will move in townies unless you have no where for them live, right? Can you expand on what it takes to increase the population of the town?

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2011
    Hmmm...I think I'm interested in this. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed but have been reading through this many times as well as the original rules you linked to trying to get it sorted out how to start and set up. :)
  • Options
    AnnoyingTwitAnnoyingTwit Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2011
    This does sound fun. I would have to play w/o story progression though, because people move in by theirselves. And with community lots, do we get to design them ourselves or do we have to use the pre-made community lots that come in the game?

I was confused as well at first when you said 'Bus Station' and 'Airport', but at the end it cleared it up. I definitely didn't think those were in gthe game, but it makes sense now...

I'm going to give it a test-run, and provide feedback. Would you like that in this forum or would you like it by other means?

ALT

P.S. I have Generations, and it's not that different aside from one Profession you should look into: DayCare. I know several ways you could obtain more information on Generation content, but my favourite for quick-help is Carl's Sims 3 Guides - Generations
    tumblr_nvpujq8nwg1tyv3s3o1_500.jpg
    Captain Fuzzbutt loves his plushie.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Mikitta47: There are two ways to increase your playable sim number. First, is having your founder have children who later move out. Second is using CAS points (earned by unlocking buildings) and adding new sims.

Juliekaye: Sorry about that, this is a big challenge but you end up with a city full of sims with stories.

AnnoyingTwit: When you add community lots, it is your choice about if you use a pre made one or you build one yourself. Note: If you build a lot like the graveyard or science location, you CAN add the unique plants (death flower) or fish (robotic fish) spawners. Does that make sense?

I am good with feedback on this forum.

Sorry for the late reply.

Edit: I am looking into the DayCare profession, but until then any Ideas?
  • Options
    ReddRead42ReddRead42 Posts: 22 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I am deeply impressed with this system, and I think I'll make it my first challenge ever, but I'm a little confused about city hall. How is that unlocked? Or is it a gimme? If I overlooked something, feel free to point it out...these rules are extensive, but worth it.
  • Options
    AnnoyingTwitAnnoyingTwit Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2011
    I got sidetracked from my test-run with college starting then a major crash in my systems, but I am going to give another test-run and keep you updated on my results.

ALT

EDIT: As for DayCare, I would base it on population/children. As the profession is done out of the Sim's own home, and parents drop their toddlers off for the day but that is mainly what happens. So if that helps...
    tumblr_nvpujq8nwg1tyv3s3o1_500.jpg
    Captain Fuzzbutt loves his plushie.
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited October 2011
    starting this now looks like fun
  • Options
    MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    edited January 2012
    This looks awesome!!

Been kind of doddling around with my classic legacy challenge, getting bored, but not wanting to do he same thing again.
    Really embodies the challenge staple of starting from nothing :)
    You've put so much thought into how this can work; I'll be sure to post feedback from my play testing!!

@ReddRead42: I think City Hall is unlocked as a "Workplace" building with the political career - because the political career opens at 1000 population, and you need City Hall for that...
    @Tom_Simkins -- Let me know if I'm right on that
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Not sure if anyone is even checking this thread anymore... But I'm having fun in my Create a City Challenge so far! Founder married an NPC in week 1 and they have a full house with 6 kids... I highly reccommend the "Surrounded by Family" lifetime wish for your founder since the only way to populate at the beginning is through their offspring.

I've uploaded my NPCs and NPC house for any other people who want to try the challenge, but creating the NPCs and house is time consuming, so check mine out here:

NPC Sims: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5060360
    Housing Complex for 8+nursery: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5060365

Some play feedback, had a huge issue with a swarm of tourists in my Community Garden (my founder is a green thumb so it helped me get a feel for the town's story to have the NPCs, founder, and a community garden "she built" - I taxed her $1000 for construction and $1000 for second harvest. Used Azalea Acres Riverside lot.) But because it is the only plot with visitors allowed like 12 tourists are always crowding the place. I just ignored them and waited until the NPCs ventured out.
    Anyone know a cheat to block them from visiting? ResetSim just makes them have to drive back to the lot and I don't want to delete them as from other games I know some of them are tied into adventures :/
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
  • Options
    LycenaLycena Posts: 483 Member
    edited March 2012
    i think I'm going to do this challenge. ill keep you posted
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    :( I really hope people haven't lost interest in this challenge! There's a lot to keep track of but it's really fun (so far) ^-^ !

My 3rd Gen is half teenagers now, so my household count is about to take a huge jump.

Some play feedback, I got pets a while ago but just installed it recently, I'm too early in the challenge to be thinking about placing any Pets EP-related buildings, I just wanted the stray animals. Unfortunately now several houses call my active sims, "BRO MY PET GAVE BIRTH COME ADOPT SOME." I'm playing with story progression and aging off.
    This is a very similar issue to the tourists swarming my community garden at the beginning. I ignored tourists with my founder but I have interacted with tourists since then. I have been ignoring options to "adopt animals" both from the "shelter" and from neighbours, and have given up animals for adoption as they randomnly are adopted by sims who shouldnt be adopting them. All initial pets should be strays, I think. I just wish there was a better way to deal with World Adventures tourists and Pets adoption.
    Let me know if you have any suggestions!

A tip for anyone trying the challenge, writing novels becomes irrelevant very, very quickly when playing with story progression off, because you play each household one after another for a week at a time. The 6 weeks of royalty payments therefore are not received properly by the author. For any players who are trying to complete all/as many lifetime wishes as possible during the challenge, make sure you choose Professional Author for one of your first few sims (before your rotation exceeds 5).
  • Options
    Mirta000PMirta000P Posts: 145 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Just started this myself. Found the challenge trough a link on facebook by The Sims 3 official page advertising taking on challenges for the summer. Since I've done all sorts of legacies and love building this made me really interested. I had to tweak the rules a bit (for instance this page says nothing about building a city hall, but the original challenge did). So I've combined all the versions of the challenge and ended up with a word document with sorted unlocks. If anyone is interested I've sorted by "unlocks by population increase", "unlocks by gaining skill points", "unlocks by household increase" and "other".

Skill unlocks

1.Consignment Store Unlocked once 2 sims have maxed a creating skill (Gardening, Inventing, Painting, Sculpting, Writing)
    2.Community Gyms and Workout Facilities: Must have at least 5 Sims maximized the Athletic Skill
    3.Dojo/Martial Arts Studio: Unlocked when 3 sims have topped the martial arts skill.
    4.Nectary: Unlocked when 3 sims have topped the nectar making skill

Household unlocks

1.Military: A position is open for every 3 households. It is unlocked when it has been topped.
    2.Laundromat: Can be built/placed when 10 households don’t have any washing machines/dryers.
    3.Dive Bar: One is unlocked for every 10 households.
    4.Stylist: A position is unlocked when there are 10 households and the chrisma skill has been maxed twice
    5.Dance Club: One is unlocked for every 20 households.

Other

1.Art Gallery Unlocked when 4 brilliant or better paintings AND 4 brilliant or better scuptures are created but are not sold. When the Art Gallery is created, these must be placed in the gallery when the household(s) is played.
    2.Firefighter: Unlocked when 3 fires occur.
    3.Graveyard: Must have 20 deaths first.
    4.Culinary: The Culinary Career earns an open position for each player who completes two of the cooking skill challenges (e.g. Star Chef, World-Class Chef). It is unlocked when it has been topped.
    5.Athletic: The Athletic Career earns an open position for each sim who completes all athletic skill challenges (e.g. Body Builder, Marathon Runner, and Fitness Nut). It is unlocked when it has been topped.
    6.Film/Acting: A position is unlocked for every 3 sims who max their careers. Unlocked when topped.
    7.Lounge/Vampire Bar: One is unlocked for every 3 maxed careers or 5 stared celebrities. Earns you 2 CAS Sims
    8. Business: The Business Career track is unlocked for the family that owns a share in 3 businesses. A position is also unlocked for a family that owns 2 lots. It is unlocked when it has been topped.
    9.Science: A Science Career position will be earned every time any Sim transitions into Adulthood. Unlocked when topped.
    10.Chinese Garden: Unlocked when 5 households have reached Visa level 3.
    11.Architectual Design: A position is unlocked when City Hall has been placed, there are 8 households, and the painting skill has been maxed
    12.Central Park: Unlocked when a Sim in the Politics career track becomes the Mayor .
    13.Ghost Hunter: A position is unlocked when both the graveyard and the Science Center are built.
    14.Music Rock/Symphonic: The Music Career earns an open position for each sim who acheves the Money Maker Skill Challenge for Guitar, Piano, Drums, or Bass. It is unlocked when it has been topped.
    15.Airports: Adds 5 CAS. Makes traveling cheaper. Sims from the community donate 1,000,000 simolians to the city. This can be done trough manual taxing of each household (take away money each week until it reaches 1 million) or hard donations (Bob donates 500,000 to the city). Money cheats not allowed.

Population unlocks

1.Hangout: One is unlocked when you reach the population levels of 100, 1000, and 30,000.
    2.Criminal evil/thief: The Criminal Career track gets one opening when your population hits 100. Every time a Sim reaches the top of the criminal career they open an additional position in both the Criminal and Law Enforcement careers (Also the investigation career). The Criminal career is never truly unlocked, but can have many open positions.
    3.Library: Available when population reaches 250.
    4.School: when the population reaches 250. This will earn you 5 CAS Sims, which you could use as students perhaps. Also unlocks a job in Education.
    5.Education: A position is unlocked for every 250 population. Never completely unlocked.
    6.Spa: Unlocked with a population of 500.
    7.Community Pools: Available when population reaches 500
    8.Bookstore: Unlocked with a population of 1,000. This earns you 1 CAS Sim.
    9.Hospital: Available when population reaches 1000. Adds 1 CAS.
    10.Politics: Politics is completely unlocked as a career choice when the town reaches of population of 1,000, but is only available to one Sim at a time. Unlocked when topped.
    11.City hall: unlocked when the politics track is unlocked. Unlocks all skill careers.
    12.Journalism: When the town reaches a population of 1,000 the first position in Journalism is unlocked. An additional spot is added for every 5 Sims who reach the top of ANY career increasing the number of newsworthy Sims in the community.
    13.Medical: The first position in the Medical career is unlocked when the town population reaches 1,000. Additional openings are available for every 5,000 residents.
    14.Bus Station: This is a unique building that can share a lot with a different building. It is avalibe when population reaches 1,000. Lowers costs for travel to foreign locations. Adds 2 CAS. Only one Bus Station may be added.
    15.Junkyard: One is unlocked for every 2000 population. Max of 2.
    16.Supermarket: Unlocked with a population 3,000. At this time, you can order pizza delivery. This earns you 1 CAS Sim.
    17.Subways: Available when population reaches 20,000

Services
    Newspaper Delivery, Unlocked, -
    Baby-sitter, Unlocked, -
    Adoption Service, Unlocked, -
    Butler, Locked, Population 10,000
    Police/Burglar Alarm, Locked, Unlocked with Law Enforcement Career
    Fire Department/Fire Alarm, Locked, Unlocked with Fire Fighter Career
    Pizza Delivery, Locked, Population 3,000
    Repairman, Locked, Population 500
    Maid – Recurring, Locked, Population 500

playing with story progression on. I'm just too lazy to be counting days and jumping households myself and while this way you unlock less most unlocks are done by household size and population and skill unlocks can be easily completed while playing one family at the time. So I only need to jump to adopt or try for baby and get a job. Then when I max one family I jump to the next one, to help them along the way.
    If anything this is one of the best challenges I've seen.
  • Options
    MiaTatiannaMiaTatianna Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    This sounds really interesting, definitely going to try it :)
  • Options
    lovegood78lovegood78 Posts: 80 Member
    edited June 2014
    Going to try this challenge. Seems like a lot of fun. I just tried the 100 baby challenge and ended up actually falling for the third guy. Maybe this challenge will be better??? I hope so, I really like it. I tried to do it a couple months ago, but whenever I was deleting the lots, my game crashed. :( Anyway, thanks for posting! BTW does anyone know of a a nice world in which I can use?
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    edited June 2014
    lovegood78 wrote:
    Going to try this challenge. Seems like a lot of fun. I just tried the 100 baby challenge and ended up actually falling for the third guy. Maybe this challenge will be better??? I hope so, I really like it. I tried to do it a couple months ago, but whenever I was deleting the lots, my game crashed. :( Anyway, thanks for posting! BTW does anyone know of a a nice world in which I can use?

I started a challenge similar to this about a year ago and cleared the Barnacle Bay map. It's big and has enough water to place IP lots.

I've never seen this challenge until just now. Maybe I'll take a shot at it.
  • Options
    ValkiriyuValkiriyu Posts: 96 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I might do my own spin on this challenge with some different rules. 50,000 sims in one town would be game breaking but also I'm not good at math and have no idea what Sim Multiplyer is...

I hope I can finish up my custom world, maybe even make a nice story along the way
  • Options
    After a few years, I've returned to playing TS3 sometimes and am re-attempting this challenge! You can see my version of the rules and follow my Sims' story here: https://hcfurlong.wixsite.com/build-a-city
  • Options
    dragonsolgameingdragonsolgameing Posts: 2 New Member
    I have hybrid in my mods