Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any ways keeping graphic heat down?

Well I have been playing The Sims 3 and noticed that graphic card has been getting hot even overheating. I have looked around on the forums and the net and noticed that it a common problem anyone have any suggestions on keeping the heat down. Some have suggested take case side off and blow fan on it but don't want to have to do that every time want to play the game. I have got a FPS_limiter which has helped a little bit and built a new house that wasn't so big and that seems to help. I have Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO 768MB and believe the Maximum GPU Temperature that suppose to reach is 105c well when in sims house gotten the temp to stay at about 90c but if I travel outside the house like into town the heat jumps to 115c. The Settings I have are Sims and texture detail are medium and everything else is low. So anyone have any ideals on how to keep the sims from overworking the graphic card?

Comments

• Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited July 2011
    Download RivaTuner. It's a tool that allows you to manually change the graphics card's fan for when you are running games so it won't overheat.
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

Keeping video devices running cool can be a challenge, especially during the height of summer. :)

Ensure you are using the PC in a room with a cool temperature. Verify that all cooling fans inside the PC case are operational and unobstructed. If and when there is dust accumulation, use cans of compressed air to clear them out - pay particular attention to cooling fans, heatsinks and exhaust vents. Do this while the PC is switched off, of course. Ideally, the general operating range of video cards is about 45-65 degrees Celsius. If necessary, install additional internal case fans for better cooling and heat ventilation.

If your video device is being overclocked, another thing to try is to reduce the clock settings.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited July 2011
    Some Nvidia cards have set fan speeds. I have an XFX 8600 GT like that and it runs hot. If there are only 2 wires going to the cooling fan then it is probably fixed speed - on, off, and broke. I noticed my 8600 was running hot with TS3 and that when I discovered it is what it is. I looking at a XFX 9800 GT and it has 4 wires going to the fan (omg). idk but I assume one is a rpm monitor so I assume the card can control the speed of the fan.

Ok learned something new - 4 wires:
    pin 1 - neg power
    pin 2 - pos power
    pin 3 speed sensor
    pin 4 pwm

the pwm (pulse width modulation) (hey I don't make this stuff up) is what controls the fan speed. How you say - idk but maybe someday I may figure it out
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.