Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Limited Edition Pet Store - your questions answered

Comments

• Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited June 2011
    Where can I order the limited Edition in the UK? I don't want to download the game itself, but rather have a physical copy.
  • Options
    tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited June 2011
    But Sims games are not such a product because you can't buy similar games from other companies. If you like Sims games then you have to buy them from EA whether you like EA or not.
    Hmmm. I ran a team providing a service. We effectively had a monopoly on providing that service in two countries. That did not, to my mind, justify bad business practice. We still had to manage customer expectations with the best business weapon available: Honesty. We still fought to provide the very best service we could. I was very proud of what we achieved. I don't see room for pride in The Sims 3, given it's cold relationship to quality and customer base. The superficially of the relationship is palpable. It's bad business. It's rather toxic.

The thing is, you can't just say "We try to do our best by customers." Just saying it and not doing it only damages the brand. Customers aren't blind to that kind of hypocrisy. Doublespeak might be the language of marketing too often, but it ought not be. Wasn't it shameful to see EA's CEO at E3 claiming they don't trot out celebrities to endorse their products at the same event where their products featured outright celebrity endorsements. Customers aren't stupid. If you treat them like they are - which is EA and The Sim 3 team's approach from all I've seen in the past two year's I've been a Simmer - you're only going to earn their contempt.

Sometimes providing the best possible service isn't economically feasible, it's true. But it strikes me there are far too many corners cut in this product, enough to damage the product and the brand. Even a brand as powerful as The Sims isn't eternally immune to being undercut by competitors eventually - it's a mammoth task for any competitor, in this case, but hubris can be the death of us all.
    I don't see why you think that the Limited Edition is a fiasco?

I don't see that it confers any long-term advantage to EA that isn't countered to some degree by further erosion to a strained customer-company relationship.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't see room for pride in The Sims 3, given it's cold relationship to quality and customer base.
    The pride come from making a game which more people want to play than any other game.
    Even a brand as powerful as The Sims isn't eternally immune to being undercut by competitors eventually - it's a mammoth task for any competitor, in this case, but hubris can be the death of us all.
    The problem is that the market for PC games is disappearing. You can see that in every game store where PC games now take very little space compared to the space used for console games. But the Sims games are PC games and the versions for consoles don't interest nearly as many customers.

This is obviously a paradox. The game companies think that even more people now play PC games than earlier. They just don't buy them as often as they use illegal copies of the games. This is probably one of EA's main reasons not to make as big patches as EA used to give us. But it is also the main reason why EA doesn't have to fear any competition: It would cost a fortune for another game company to develop a new game which could threaten EA's market for Sims games. Which game company would invest $100 million in developing a game which could easily be a flop that couldn't beat the Sims 3 anyway on a PC market which is disappearing anyway?

Why not just develop other types of games for the console market instead? This doesn't cost nearly as much money, the risk is much smaller and the profit could easily be higher. So this is what the other game companies do.
  • Options
    ElvaerwynElvaerwyn Posts: 757
    edited June 2011
    @purplemonkey you can preorder the downloadable version of the limited edition copy directly from origin/ea http://store.origin.com/store?Action=pd&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=ea&productID=229351900&sac=true
  • Options
    PurpleMonkey86PurpleMonkey86 Posts: 445 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Elvaerwyn wrote:
    @purplemonkey you can preorder the downloadable version of the limited edition copy directly from origin/ea http://store.origin.com/store?Action=pd&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=ea&productID=229351900&sac=true

No thanks. I prefer a physical copy. I don't like to pay for something that is totally intangible.
  • Options
    comesailawaycomesailaway Posts: 98 New Member
    edited June 2011
    As a long time fan of this franchise I am highly disappointed. Mainly because this should be part of the expansion as a whole and not a pre-order bonus. I can remember back to unleashed when you could go down to the pet store and buy your pets and what they needed there, and now fans have to pre-order the expansion in order to get anything that resembles that.

Not only that but given the state of economy in the US there are simmers that will not be able to get this feature because they will not have the money for this expansion when it is still available for pre-order. Way to go EA, you really are trying to screw your fans over. Especially us less fortunate ones that want Pets, but just can not afford to get it when it first comes out.

You would think that this company only makes money on the pre-orders instead of getting money for every copy they actually sell even after the release date. The sad thing is that they say they listen to their fans. If they did listen to their fans they would know that this is not what the fans want.
  • Options
    iYoMomaiYoMoma Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    I think its slightly silly to not allow the not limited edition pets to have pet stores as community lots. a bit counter-productive, is it not?
  • Options
    ZephreyZephrey Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2011
    Will users that don't buy the limited addition be able to create their own custom pet store with corresponding items?

edit: nevermind, i think the answer is no. :(
  • Options
    SirideanSiridean Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, looking forward to this expansion pack like nothing else :)

When we go to the Online store, the platform for the downloadable install is itemised as 'PC'. Does this include Mac? I'm on Mac OS. Thanks!
  • Options
    GommeIncGommeInc Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited June 2011
    Conorsim wrote:
    Thanks for clearing all this up. I really don't care about the Limited Edition, as if it is available in my area I won't be able to get it anyway, but I have a question: (a dumb question?)

Why don't you just allow the Pet Shop features in every game, and not just the Limited Edition? From what you claim, the Limited Edition will cost the same as the Standard Edition. So... you won't be getting more money if you include the Pet Shop or not, so why not enable it to everyone? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, because I sure don't understand the mechanics behind this Limited Edition.

Thanks. :) (and I hope what I said makes sense!!)
    I'm glad you've asked this question. There is no reason for EA to be doing this to boost preorders when people will buy this game anyway purely for Pets. When they announced Pets (or, rather, when others leaked it before Generations) people went crazy and were really excited, so I think making it simply to boost preorder sales is pointless, assuming that's why they've made Limited Edition.

I still strongly believe they should release the Pet Store for everyone, making an EP Limited Edition is unheard of and unnecessary in the gaming world - at least in terms of features - usually LE means special boxart and lots of content, not actual gameplay features!

EDIT: Also, I found this a bit pointless making this topic... There was no new information as we were already told this stuff.
  • Options
    buddhalocanabuddhalocana Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Q: I’ve heard about 10 extra breeds of pets; do those only come with the Limited Edition as well?
    A: The ten extra breeds are featured in the console version of The Sims 3 Pets; they are not available in the PC expansion pack.

This makes me very, very sad.
  • Options
    jpollard89jpollard89 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Can you take your pet/pets into the pet store while you shop for them?
  • Options
    pofmuis44pofmuis44 Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2011
    hey i just want to know whwn is the limited editions release date and the origanals relaease date

thanx :)
  • Options
    iYoMomaiYoMoma Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    Zephrey wrote:
    Will users that don't buy the limited addition be able to create their own custom pet store with corresponding items?

edit: nevermind, i think the answer is no. :(

yeah, the answer is no. which is the stupidest idea. ever.
  • Options
    shammond123shammond123 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Are horses, dogs, and cats the only pets/animals in the game or are there wild animals too :?:
  • Options
    Simul8orStimul8orSimul8orStimul8or Posts: 108
    edited June 2011
    As a long time fan of this franchise I am highly disappointed. Mainly because this should be part of the expansion as a whole and not a pre-order bonus. I can remember back to unleashed when you could go down to the pet store and buy your pets and what they needed there, and now fans have to pre-order the expansion in order to get anything that resembles that.

Not only that but given the state of economy in the US there are simmers that will not be able to get this feature because they will not have the money for this expansion when it is still available for pre-order. Way to go EA, you really are trying to screw your fans over. Especially us less fortunate ones that want Pets, but just can not afford to get it when it first comes out.

You would think that this company only makes money on the pre-orders instead of getting money for every copy they actually sell even after the release date. The sad thing is that they say they listen to their fans. If they did listen to their fans they would know that this is not what the fans want.

I don't really get this viewpoint. Developers are people too, and they spend an immense amount of their time creating these things that they know people will love.

If you enjoy the Sims, then you support it by buying their products. Pre-order incentives helps the retailers and consumers a considerable amount, as well as the developers themselves. They took the time to come up with something unique, which was not part of the game to begin with, so that people would feel honestly compelled to support them by committing to a preorder of their lastest installment.

A bunch of people feel obligated to help themselves to this. As someone who preorders and makes sure to buy the games I love on release day, I'm super excited that I'll get this awesome little bonus for once again showing my appreciation for all of their hard work.

They didn't have to develop this awesome perk, but they did, because they love the fans, and because they appreciate that their fans are passionate people who are eager to get the latest in the sim lives.

I'm ashamed to be placed alongside people who in one breath say they won't be rushing to buy it on release day and also that they should get something that is a "thank you" for committing to their latest work on faith. The two concepts do not compute.

So since I don't see it often enough, THANK YOU Sims Devs for placing something in the game at no extra cost to myself, but at extra development time to yourselves to show your appreciation to the Sims fans who rush to get everything that you do!
  • Options
    SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    edited June 2011
    jpollard89 wrote:
    Can you take your pet/pets into the pet store while you shop for them?

Hi there jpollard. Yes, pets will be able to visit and enter the pet store along with Sims.
  • Options
    Keito_HarajukuKeito_Harajuku Posts: 128 Member
    edited June 2011
    I find this to be a bit biased. I'm upset to learn that if we do not buy the L.E. we do not get access to the pet shop lot type. So if you do this on this EP, why didnt you do it for ambitions or LN? Those games included tons of lot types, but there was no "special edition' to them. If we dont pay extra for "extras", and by us not paying you, EA, more, you do not earn more, then why does it matter? Include on every game, not just ones labeled "special"
  • Options
    MadDuckieMadDuckie Posts: 26
    edited June 2011
    I pre-ordered, I wish that I knew that you could buy the limited edition at the store, I hate pre-ordering!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MadDuckie wrote:
    I pre-ordered, I wish that I knew that you could buy the limited edition at the store, I hate pre-ordering!

Ugh, read about every thread on this.

The Limited Edition is not a "special" edition per-se. Any Pets that you pre-order OR buy on day 1 is converted to an LE when you pick it up. So, anyone buying it from a pre-order or first day will get the LE that is from the first shipment.

Pre-ordering will guarantee you get the LE, whether you pick it up on the first day or not. Without the pre-order you are not guaranteed this.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can't wait for pets..
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MadDuckie wrote:
    I just saw the livestream and they said I had to pre-order to get it so I pre-ordered without looking into it more, I guess Im just to excited about being able to have pets...

Yes, it is exciting! But pre-order is always the way go. You guarantee yourself a copy if the store sells out; they HAVE to make sure you get what you paid for, and it costs nothing extra and often comes with special perks.

Plus places like gamestop where you put money down never get rid of that money. If for whatever reason you don't pick it up, it's there at any time.

I hate not being able to get games on release day though!
    I find this to be a bit biased. I'm upset to learn that if we do not buy the L.E. we do not get access to the pet shop lot type. So if you do this on this EP, why didnt you do it for ambitions or LN? Those games included tons of lot types, but there was no "special edition' to them. If we dont pay extra for "extras", and by us not paying you, EA, more, you do not earn more, then why does it matter? Include on every game, not just ones labeled "special"

I'm unsure why it's biased. Everyone has the ability to get this. It's just EA's way of saying thank you for being one of the first to play their latest addition!
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    edited June 2011
    i no this has nothing to do with the limited edition things but will sims be able to become werewolves? Since it's possible in TS2 im hoping its the same for 3
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MadDuckie wrote:
    I just saw the livestream and they said I had to pre-order to get it so I pre-ordered without looking into it more, I guess Im just to excited about being able to have pets...

Yes, it is exciting! But pre-order is always the way go. You guarantee yourself a copy if the store sells out; they HAVE to make sure you get what you paid for, and it costs nothing extra and often comes with special perks.

Plus places like gamestop where you put money down never get rid of that money. If for whatever reason you don't pick it up, it's there at any time.

I hate not being able to get games on release day though!

I live in the middle of nowhere and I think im the only person in my town that knows what the sims are( I know, it's sad), I don't think I have to worry about it being sold out, but atleast I don't have to leave my house :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i no this has nothing to do with the limited edition things but will sims be able to become werewolves? Since it's possible in TS2 im hoping its the same for 3
    They didn't say anything about that so I don't think there are werewolves, I think they would've said if there were werewolvs. Althoe I hope that Im wrong, I would really like to see werewolves again.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top