Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Basement wine cellar?

I wasn't too sure where to put this, but since I'm doing it for WA, I guess this is a good place. I'm trying to place a split-level basement:
29dvd79.jpg

I can make it look the way I want using 8 pieces of stairs, leveling the terrain, and adding two floors of wall and flooring. But when I move up to the main house, there is this weird space between the walls and the terrain(you can see it in the picture) and I can't add foundation, doors, or any way into the actual house.
I wanted to use the basement tool, which would eliminate the weird terrain effects, but then I can't do the split-leveling due to the way the basement tool works. I also have a really hard time placing stairs between the basement and ground levels when there is a foundation on ground level.

So what should I do? Is there a way to use the basement tool to get this same effect, or should I just give it up as a bad job? I would rather use the basement tool, as I want more basement elsewhere, but that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited June 2011
    This is beautiful, but will not work as an actual winecellar UNLESS you use the basement tool to put it below ground. The game will read this as above ground because you have only lowered the surface terrain and built above ground. Your nectar will not age properly in game.

I do think that once you start building below ground you can add a level below and remove the tiles of the floor/ceiling to create the same affect.

I have the same problem if I use a building foundation first. But if you build the basement portion first you should be able to add the foundation portion later. You could also add the foundation height walls with the constrainfloorelevation tool, and the game would not read the walls as foundation. The other option would be to build your above ground level as though it were on a slab. No foundation tool needed.
  • Options
    AngelicMiseryAngelicMisery Posts: 397 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, the aging process totally slipped my mind. :D So I will have to find a way to remove the floor tiling without deleting the actual portions of the basement. I thought you could just remove the tiles, to show the level below. But I tried last night and it just kept deletion the actual basement. I ended up with random squares of wall sticking up everywhere. :D
    It will take some massive planning, but I think you're right about having to build the basement portion first. I get a lot of weird errors when doing the foundation wall, but I will have to try that too.
    And thank you. :) I love doing stuff like this, but it can get really difficult at times.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I usually end up with something like this:
    2v2utys.jpg
    I've tried a few different things with no luck. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmm... I sort of did it:
    1fxyjo.jpg

Now I have that weird edge along the two walls. It was along three, but I was able to delete them without effecting the fencing and balcony. I was thinking of just adding columns along the two sides of the walls. Not sure how that would look, though.
    P.S: Opps. Pay no attention to the shoddy staircase wallpapering. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OOOhhhhh. I like it! I have a love/hate relationship with building, too. Love it until I want to do something and just can't make it work. The whole basement under the foundation thing drives me NUTS. I would love to add tomb-style basements to my old builds, but it just won't work unless I start over from scratch.

I was thinking about this after I posted earlier, I know it can be done because I member being able to see from one floor down to another when playing the scenarios in WA. I hope you upload the lot when you get it finished. Would love to see the completed project!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I definitely think i will. I wish I could see from one level to the next, though. I didn't have anything down there for this picture, but I added a few more Nectaux's(?) around the walls and a stage and such and I can't see them. =(
    I just learned how to make little bridges for parks and such and the terrain has to be just right to make it look natural. Ir's such a pain. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I bookmarked so I can check back--keep me posted!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I shall! I'm going to start work on the upper house tomorrow. I'm probably going to do a manor house kind of thing. Not too sure yet, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Back in business for the day and thought I would check in--how's it going?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've been going back and redoing stuff so it's going... slow. :D I'm always really picky when it comes to landscaping, so I've been redoing the fencing and general terrain painting for about three hours.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've been going back and redoing stuff so it's going... slow. :D I'm always really picky when it comes to landscaping, so I've been redoing the fencing and general terrain painting for about three hours.

This is the first I've been on since last night--how's the building going? I've been mostly playing and doing minor updates on lots...but you have inspired me to do a better job on my landscaping. I usually am tired of building by the time I get to the outside, so I don't do a very good job. I think I am going to go back to some of my old builds and see what I can do to improve them.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, my laptop charger went up two nights ago, so this is the first time I've been on since then. I haven't made any progress in almost two days, so I'm pretty behind. I'm probably going to pull an allnighter to see if I can finish up.
    Good luck with your landscaping. It can be really relaxing once you get into it. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, my laptop charger went up two nights ago, so this is the first time I've been on since then. I haven't made any progress in almost two days, so I'm pretty behind. I'm probably going to pull an allnighter to see if I can finish up.
    Good luck with your landscaping. It can be really relaxing once you get into it. :)

I used to love gardening in RL--now I have a heart problem that keeps me away from anything strenuous. I love to have my sims garden--and put in beautiful flower beds. It just doesn't generally happen AS I build the lot. Usually after they have lived in it for awhile and I get tired of looking at the empty yard!

I have also been on the forums so much in the last few days that I have only opened my game for brief periods. Very sad...but maybe tonight. Have fun building!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I love gardening, but the green-thumb everyone in my family seems to have skipped a generation with me. :( I really want to get out ther this summer, but I've missed most of planting season.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    How's your build coming? I just started a house for the Centenniel Vale thing--for the 100th week of Building Challenges. I'm doing a really modern house for the beach. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the yard, but the house is really cool so far. I will post some pix if I get it done tonight.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think I should have the house uploaded by tomorrow night! I'm done with my back-tracking, and I've made some decent progress on decorating the house and terrain. I always play through my houses before I think about uploading, to make sure everything runs smoothly, so that's all I have left to do!
  • Options
    Corbin14Corbin14 Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    Oh man, the aging process totally slipped my mind. :D So I will have to find a way to remove the floor tiling without deleting the actual portions of the basement. I thought you could just remove the tiles, to show the level below. But I tried last night and it just kept deletion the actual basement. I ended up with random squares of wall sticking up everywhere. :D
    It will take some massive planning, but I think you're right about having to build the basement portion first. I get a lot of weird errors when doing the foundation wall, but I will have to try that too.
    And thank you. :) I love doing stuff like this, but it can get really difficult at times.

I'm having the same problem so how did you do it in the end I need some help
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I know this thread is old but i want to make a split level basement aswell and i am having the same problem so how did you fix it please help
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'm having the same basement problem how did you fix it?