Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To all the simmers who have problems with generations!

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2011
    This thread is over two weeks old. I don't think OP will ever check back. Just let it die.

Some errors are PC related, some are Software. There will always be bugs in Software as big as this and if you see them depends heavily on your play style.

There are a few bugs thought that I think everyone has, the ones who claim the haven't just haven't noticed them :)

- Excavation bug
    - Baby Head-patch
    - Cars piling in inactives inventories
    - Camera freezing bug
    and probably the prom-boarding school one.

I've been playing all afternoon myself and I've only seen very few bugs but I did see all of the above except excavating but that can be due to the fact, that I didn't go excavate anything.

If there's a mod that fixes an issue, it's probably not PC related 8)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    DJAnnamarieDJAnnamarie Posts: 150 New Member
    edited June 2011
    My computer is reasonably new. I haven't had many huge problems with Generations, the main problem I had was it conflicted with WA in some way and I couldn't go on Vacation without it freezing. I managed to fix that, a simple exit to the main menu and a re-load did the trick. Yes there are still some small glitches but nothing that has made it unusable. I'm hoping the next patch will take care of those. The main glitch is the loading bar, it takes a while to move a tiny bit then shoots up right to the end in seconds :)
  • Options
    xXDarkflower99XxxXDarkflower99Xx Posts: 6
    edited June 2011
    My computer is reasonably new. I haven't had many huge problems with Generations, the main problem I had was it conflicted with WA in some way and I couldn't go on Vacation without it freezing. I managed to fix that, a simple exit to the main menu and a re-load did the trick. Yes there are still some small glitches but nothing that has made it unusable. I'm hoping the next patch will take care of those. The main glitch is the loading bar, it takes a while to move a tiny bit then shoots up right to the end in seconds :)

I am having the same problem, when my sim goes to China on the first day everything runs fine then on the second day everything keeps freezing up. The sound and background stuff like trees, and the sims plum bob keep moving, but the clock stops. And I agree with you that the game has a few issues, but I have been pretty lucky that it's only WA that is giving me grief. I will try that main menu reload thing next time I play thanks for the tip :D
  • Options
    SkaterXGeorgieSkaterXGeorgie Posts: 67
    edited July 2011
    Just a Question , Any people who have recently Installed generations have you got all your background programs off , because I downloaded one of my Ep's with them off and it went Sloww! so i would keep them on when you download a new EP :) and once you have downloaded the ones you want turn off the background programs [it goes much much faster] :D
  • Options
    SoEasyBeinIzzySoEasyBeinIzzy Posts: 1,384
    edited July 2011
    I posted numerous tips for people about how to fix WA and Generations...Uninstall them both, then install Generations, and then WA.

I may just be my computer and my luck, but it works!!!
  • Options
    andinic28andinic28 Posts: 2,719 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Just a thought but I hope to God none of you are patching through the launcher :? That's where a lot of problems present themselves first thing you need to do is turn off automatic updates. The launcher has had problems for awhile and they won't fix it so that's my recommendation. This is how I patched and if you haven't seen or read this it's a good idea that you do :)http://www.simprograms.com/31305/patches-page-updated-with-1-22-patch/#more-31305
  • Options
    amywelshcastleamywelshcastle Posts: 344
    edited July 2011
    I've only ever patched through the launcher since I've owned the game. Never had any problems. :? I know some people have issues with the launcher not working at all, but I don't think it's that wide spread - I'm sure not every Sim player is going to look up how to manually patch their game.
  • Options
    cyberlucy1965cyberlucy1965 Posts: 397 Member
    edited July 2011
    colmanjes wrote:
    It's NOT the game, it's your computer, it must be old, or have a lot of files on it, because my computer is semi new, and my game works perfectly! OR try uninstalling and then install it again.

It's not necessarily the computer alone. I think it's more practical to say that it's about how the software interacts with your computer.
  • Options
    andinic28andinic28 Posts: 2,719 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I've only ever patched through the launcher since I've owned the game. Never had any problems. :? I know some people have issues with the launcher not working at all, but I don't think it's that wide spread - I'm sure not every Sim player is going to look up how to manually patch their game.

Well if you've ever noticed the launcher doesn't bring up all the patches either. If you look up the Sims 3 Patch Downloader and use that you'll see you're missing patches. I think I was missing 3 of them when I was just using the launcher to patch and I haven't had problems since.
  • Options
    amywelshcastleamywelshcastle Posts: 344
    edited July 2011
    Huh, that's interesting! Two of mine aren't up to date. My game works though, I wonder if it makes that much of a difference seeing I've gone so long without them.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,619 Member
    edited July 2011
    Hmmm well to add another two cents worth, I have a fairly new computer well above spec.
    This is the first time in the saga of TS3 that this has happened to me. Up until I installed Late Night I had a problem free game. I was one of the blessed!!!
    After Late Night game began to lag, turned out to be build up of cars and items in inventories bloating the game. Was forced to take the plunge and install Twallans Overwatch Mod.
    Hey Presto a fully playable game once more.
    After carefully removing all mods etcetera and installing and updating....
    Constant crashes within five seconds of starting a game!!!.
    Seems I am no longer one of the blessed!!

I hear you, Starbucaneer. I, too, was one of the blessed. My only problems with LN, however, was an aging up issue with my toddler. She morphed into a long-bodied, short-legged being that acted like a toddler, still. Oi! The patch fixed that problem, I am pleased to say.

Then I got Generations and for the first couple of months, everything was fine. I was enjoying the heck out of it, when someone on these boards brought up the whole memories-generating- huge-files issue and we should get a mod someone created to "fix" it, else the game would start crashing. Remembering the out-of-contol spawning issues from theSims2, I figured this was likely a real problem.

Later on, a link to the mod was supplied and I decided to install it. My game went wonky, not entirely sure why. But I immediately removed said mod. I then had to uninstall EVERYTHING, clean my registry, defrag, the works. That was an all-day process. By the time I could finally play again, my game started to freeze, then crash. Seems the hour and a half to two hour mark was when it would happen.

I uninstalled Generations one more time and reinstalled it. This did not help. Now my game not only crashes, but instead of getting the message "VPU has reset graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands", I got the dreaded blue screen of death! Seems the driver was stuck in some sort of loop?My drivers are updated. I hope my vid-card isn't destroyed. I just know I've had the blue screen three times.

I even tried to play Medieval to see if my card was "okay". That game froze, too. What's up with that? Now, I am no longer able to play, I guess. This is a disaster.

I do hope hubby has time this weekend to have a serious look at it. :(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/