The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crashing in LIVE mode only plus Launcher is not working

I was able to play Ts3 plus World Adventures without any issues about a year ago or so. I quit playing the game for a few months. When I came back to it it started crashing. I don't recall why or what led up to my decision to uninstall/reinstall. I thought that would fix it. It did not.

I thought maybe there were remnants in the registry. There were not. I checked it already following the instructions from EA for a manual uninstall including taking files out of the registry directly. There wasn't anything in there besides the Sims 3 folder which was empty.

I had made the icon on my desktop compatible with Vista but when I tried to start the game there was an error about the Launch stopped working. So I did the go around by going directly to the executable file in Program Files to get the game to play.

I was able to enter CAS and spend a couple of hours creating a family. Yes HOURS lol. I took my sweet time and savored the fact the game had not crashed.

After that I checked out at least 7 vacant lots in the hood trying to figure out which one I wanted my family to move into.

I then decided to try a premade and existing family in a lot that looked interesting to me. No sooner did I get into the lot than the game crashed to desktop without warning or any error message.

I do not have any custom content installed. I would like the launcher to work correctly, the correct files to be in the Electronic Arts folder (is there suppose to be a folder called patches in there after I uninstalled the game).

I was able to play without any problems at one point within the past year and so it makes sense I would be able to play again.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    TazziannaTazzianna Posts: 141 Member
    edited May 2011
    Also I should tell you that the crash symptom I experienced tonight is the same one I experienced months ago when I last tried to get this game to work. I ended up giving up and playing Sims 2.

I'm trying this one more time...

I uninstalled the game again tonight. Checked the registry.
    Any other ideas would be helpful before I go through reinstalling this in the morning.

Should I patch or skip it? There's still that patch folder with stuff in it like I mentioned above. Should I delete that? The folder is called "Network Play System" With another folder inside of it labeled "Patch" that one is empty but there are other files in the Network Play folder like NPSP.

Sorry to type so much but I am hopeful the more info I give to someone that can possibly help me the easier I'm hoping all this info will make it for them. If you know how to fix this please help me out.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited May 2011
    You can never have enough info when troubleshooting a computer problem. Without knowing your computer hardware (a dxdiag would help) I'm guessing excluding TS3 from dep may help. This link may help - http://help.thesims.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3697/kw/Sims 3 DEP
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    TazziannaTazzianna Posts: 141 Member
    edited May 2011
    hi bob hey I'm so glad you replied to this. I stayed up super late last night trying to get this to work. I got it fixed!

I did a system restore to yesterday morning before I started messing with installing and registry etc.

Then I installed Ts3 and did the dep for it and eadm (the core). Then I installed World Adventures and did the dep for that. The only trouble I'm seeing is the launcher is still getting the error that it has stopped working and allows me to debug (which I do). I was always able to continue playing before even though the launcher gave that message although it would crash upon live mode. It did not last night. That tells me the dep is what I was missing. I also made every icon compatible under properties for Service pack 2 and Xp and am running the program as Administrator.

I'm still concerned about that launcher though and as far as I could tell EA is recommending people bipass it entirely and play from the exe which imo is terrible. I mean they are trying to fix that right?

My graphic card is not listed as one of the supported cards. I always knew that but I also knew it would play. At one point I played my sim self for weeks until I grew bored of the game. I would love to upgrade to a new and shiny comp that would allow me to see the true beauty of this game but it's not in my cards right now.