Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When is a world too large?

DigstarDigstar Posts: 308 Member
I'm currently creating a large world. I still have a loooong way to go till completion. I am however concerned the size of the world will be too large as it is currently 118meg (after exported ready for play) and rising. The lot count is currently 60X res and about the same with the community lots. I doubt whether I will increase the lot count by a great deal but my world is definitely looking bare so there will be alot of trees and items to be added also spawners and a few FX/

When testing my world I have no lag issues and everything runs well but I also have 4 gig of ram etc to run it would like other simmers with older machines to be able to play my world too.

Also wondering what some of the major issues with larger worlds including mass plantings of plants/trees etc and whether issues arise not from an over full world but from just a few over full "chunks"? :wink:

Comments

• Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited May 2011
    That seems a pretty large file size for just 60/60 lots and no trees. Are you using EA lots? Some of those can have hefty file sizes.

The largest world Ive made is only 74 mb, and it was packed!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    [Post] 05/08/11 12:55 PM Subject: Re:When is a world too large?
    That seems a pretty large file size for just 60/60 lots and no trees. Are you using EA lots? Some of those can have hefty file sizes.

The largest world Ive made is only 74 mb, and it was packed!

It was about the 80-90 meg mark till I placed a large number of "LiveOakMoss" trees and also Banyan Trees to create a swamp like forest. I should also mention that the trees are clustered.

This tallied up to the 118meg mark. I have used a number of EA lots but try to focus on my own.
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Have you used the Cluster Trees button? That might reduce your file size some.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited May 2011
    Im currently playing a world thats around 125-150mb, my computer is medium quality, and i've noticed some issues with loading time. Unless you have a good computer, i'd estimate that anything beyond 200mb may be too large.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2011
    Hi,

Hm... I don't know and I get nervous when my large worlds are actually large in file size.

I just updated Longview. It's 104MB populated with 22 families and 155 lots *I believe* but there is still a lot of open lots and spaces to add lots. I don't have more then 4300 trees and bushes. I still think in the older mindset from when CAW was new and it was suggested to keep the trees to a minimum. I think we can go over 10k without much problem now but I have no idea if it's true.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited May 2011
    Have you used the Cluster Trees button? That might reduce your file size some.

Trees are automatically clustered when you save, so unless you have a lot of trees all unclustered on one layer, manually clustering them isn't necessary. I've messed around with some C-A-W save files, though, and found that if all the trees are on one layer and you have to uncluster them to move or delete, then it's definitely best to cluster them before saving, but otherwise no need.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for your responses :D I might have to just delete a large number of trees and improve on textures and landscaping skills. The area I'm having the most problems with (thought off topic) is creating a realistic swamp bijou type area. This is the area I may have overdone it with flora :oops:
  • Options
    Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited May 2011
    This is what I think:-

Like what the others said keep trees in clusters.

Most EA world spend between 20Mb-35Mb on lots, the size of the lot you place will add to the total cost of the world. It's better to place smaller lots for playability and keep the big mansion lots to a minimum. If you wish to have a look at how much of your size is taken by lots have look in C:\Users\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds\Sandpoint\Lots
    If you sort the folder so you can see the KB of each lot, it will probable give you a clear picture of how much the computer will need to load and render prior to playing.
    My current world I'm building contains 119 lots the highest KB cost for one lot is 918KB, so what I recommend, if playability is a high priority, try reducing some of the bigger lots and make them smaller.

Remove all unwonted textures, just because you deleted the texture in CAW, does not mean that a texture was deleted in the world file, for more info on this read
    Try to reduce size of the world
    On the following link:-

http://builders.forumotion.net/t1187-building-a-world-part-11-12#20050

Spawners can also cause lag, try to keep the number of spawners to a reasonable level and I would not bother with junkyard spawners & dig spawners inside CAW, use them in lots only.

I hope that helps.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the info Stw402. Oddly enough my lots total 37 meg with a lot count of 137 instead of the underestimated 120. I forgot about a few no visitor community lots where I built "rooms" on top of each other too look like shipping containers for my docks.

My trees/plants are always clustered currently totaling 53 "game objects". My mass planting of Banyan and Live Moss Oak trees are probably the culprits for the increased size of my world (after export). Though I've seen other worlds more densely planted than my own. Certain plant types must take up more space than others I guess.

BTW great guide Stw402 [url]
    http://builders.forumotion.net/t1187-building-a-world-part-11-12#20050
    [/url]
  • Options
    JasumiJasumi Posts: 521 Member
    edited May 2011
    Wow O_O

I have a very large world with like 70,000 trees on it (no joke!) and close to 70 lots, and it's only around 70mb when I export...
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jasumi wrote:
    Wow O_O

I have a very large world with like 70,000 trees on it (no joke!) and close to 70 lots, and it's only around 70mb when I export...

Yes, I wonder about your world too. :)

You also have a lot of CC too which is strange that the file would be so small. But hey, if it works for you then go for it.

How big are your lots? How many are built? How big is your world map?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jasumi wrote:
    Wow O_O

OMG dito with the WOW O_O hehe that's a HUGE amount of trees and great to hear that you can sink such a huge volume of wood and leaves in a world. The trees I used are seem more detailed than many of the other tree objects available. Although I wouldn't have used more than 100 banyan and live oak trees. Also added alot of bull rushes but not that many. Seemed to add 40 meg though after planting.