Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CLOSED THREAD - Please do not post. Open thread link at the top of the first post!

As this thread is broken please post in the new thread.

Welcome to the Lighthouse Challenge!

DUE DATE: May 20, 11:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I have spent many months building a lighthouse but I play about 20 versions of Sunset Valley, not to mention other towns, so I would like to have some more lighthouses in my game and I think this would be a fun challenge for those who love lighthouses for their simplicity, beauty and most importantly, their special purpose.

I would like to see what kind of lighthouse you might build for this location in Sunset Valley:
180 Redwood Parkway, size is 40 wide by 30 deep

Requirements, Guidelines and Preferences:

1. This is a residence and so it must include a small home for the lighthouse keeper. You may decide on your own if the lighthouse keeper has a spouse and/or one child. I am looking for a small house with no more than two bedrooms. You must include the typical common and private rooms: kitchen, living, bathrooms. While a shower is fine, please make sure the house has a bathtub for the Sim's pleasure and comfort.

2. You must include a basement. It need not be finished but it must be included as a constructional reality to what we have learned about building lighthouses over the years. The basement is used to help anchor the tower into the rock. It need not be large either; it just must be included.

3. The lighthouse may be attached to the home, be constructed on top of the home or it may be constructed very close to the home.

4. You are welcome to include Third Party Custom Content in your screenshots, but as a courtesy to those who do not like or do not know how to handle CC well it is asked that you do not upload your lot to the site with CC included. I ask that you limit yourself to no more than 10 (ten) items CC and you will need to offer specific links to the content (not links to the site where you found the items) so those of us who might want to use what you used can find things easily. Free CC is preferred but there are many creators who work with sites that have what amounts to membership fees and you will not be penalized for using some content from those sites.

- If you choose to add some CC, I realize there is an extreme shortage of content in the way of curtains, paintings and rugs in EA content so that's the type of content I would prefer you use - not a bunch of clutter.
- If you use CC patterns in your screenshots, please provide the links to them and note whose studio they came from. There are many highly respected pattern creators on this site. Please do not upload your lot with any CC patterns.
- All lots will be checked for clean content. Also, please do not upload lots with known bad store content from EA that has yet to be fixed. As much as I love the Cellar Arch, EA refuses to fix it so shame on them and don't use this arch in your build. It causes game crashing for too many people, not to mention it breaking the wall when it is used.
- It kind of goes without saying that all Sims 3 Store content is welcome, along with Dr. Pepper and T-Mobile content.
- Entries will be checked through CUSTARD but hopefully, you did that already.

5. I would like some of the various floors of the lighthouse to have a few usable objects so the tiny rooms of the tower are not just for exterior cosmetic purposes. One room might have an easel or a desk with computer, for example.

6. The resident(s) will have a small garden plot and do some fishing. Please note this is not a farm and much of the terrain will be rocky and sandy. Green grass is still needed because we are in Sunset Valley and this is the predominant groundcover.

7. I will happily accept a lot that is undergoing repairs and has some exterior scaffolding. A few rooms may be left unfinished but they should not be the major rooms. The uppermost floor of the lighthouse must be accessible and I hope you will plan something special for that room. This is the most important room in a lighthouse.

8. You are required to upload your lot to this website or another media hosting site.

9. You may submit one entry unless you are so over-burdened with ideas you have to submit a second one. ;-)

10. Following instructions - please read the instructions twice.

11. Screenshot Limit - no more than twelve allowed

12. You may submit any work that is YOURS, whether or not it has been submitted anywhere before, assuming you abide by the rules and guidelines.

13. Quoting entire posts - NOT ALLOWED!

Things to think about -

Around the world, many of our lighthouses are very old and have very interesting histories. You are free to copy a real life lighthouse, whether it is still standing or not.

I am looking for historical authenticity here, not a modern artistic approach so please keep that in mind. Lighthouses don't have swimming pools, nor hot tubs, as nice as that would be to have them.

You should be building on rock, not flat farm land but I do want to play these lots so please modify your terrain to seem like a rock and look like a rock but be very playable. A little terracing might be the best thing to add a little heighth. I recommend you test routing and depreciate the cost of the lot by sticking a Sim in there while you create the lot. Upgrading high end appliances and some of the plumbing and making a fireplace "fireproof" are always nice. Do not feel obligated to upgrade everything. My Sims want to do some of that, too. :D

EDIT: I forgot to say, lighthouses may be stone or brick or what-have-you, but the interiors are light, often white-washed with a soft-white coating of paint. Your residence should be a place of light, no matter how old and dark the exterior might be. You already knew that, right? :wink:

You are allowed to disable all building restrictions (i.e. use building/decorating "cheats"):
moveobjects on
placefriezes on
constrainfloorelevation false
buydebug
Please turn them off (reenable the restrictions) before you upload your lot to the site.

Prizes

First Place - 700 SimPoints' worth of prizes
Second Place - 500 SimPoints' worth of prizes
Third Place - 300 SimPoints' worth of prizes
You can keep your SimPoints' worth of prizes, share some or give them all away - whatever makes you happy. :mrgreen:

Judging Criteria

1-15 Points for Overall Authenticity - If you desire to include flowers all over the place - please provide a photo of a real lighthouse that has them as I've never seen such a thing.
1-15 Points for the Structure and Structural Integrity
1-10 Points for Exterior Landscaping
1-10 Points for Interior Decorating

* Because of the salty air, lighthouses undergo regular maintenance (assuming the finances are available). As mentioned above, some unfinished areas, including scaffolding, are quite reasonable and can add a unique touch to your lot. :D

I do use half-points when I judge so a tie is less likely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I naturally reserve the right to amend some things here and there, as this is my first competition. I hope I have not over-burdened anyone with too many rules. If you have an idea which you think requires bending or breaking a rule, please post here so we can discuss it ahead of time. I am looking for high quality work but I am flexible and I want this to be fun. I am open to some help in judging and I am always open to advice or any constructive criticism.

I don't require an entry form, per se, but it would make things easier if you would include the following at the top of your entry:

Name of lot:
Rough cost to build or what the value was when uploaded:
Any special features you'd like to emphasize:
Screenshots
Links for any CC used in the screenshots:

Remember! No CC allowed in the uploaded lots!
DUE DATE: May 20, 11:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time

A great example: The Old Lighthouse by Holy Simoly
Screenshots for the above lot

Comments

• Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited April 2011
    Thanks to LoveEvil, here is some helpful information regarding the use of the Castle Kit for those who have it or ever hope to have it...

She discovered this problem...

LoveEvil wrote:
    I am not one to complain normally but I am a little miffed at having spent 700 points on the castle kit, to me it is utterly useless. Why is this you may ask yourself, well I have had it a few months but today I finally got around to having a play with it and I have found in my opinion one big flaw with it..flooring. For one thing there is no way we can add curved floor tiles in the curved sections of the wall, I guess you could use terrain paint on the ground floor but that is not much help on the upper levels. Also even on the straight sections I have floor tiles sticking out of the building, not by much but enough for it to look not right to me. I could have the small gap between the wall and the floor on the inside but even so it just kinda looks amateurish. :?

So have I missed something and am I building it wrong or something?

She found this solution...

LoveEvil wrote:
    I have spent the last hour trying to figure this out...

Below is an example using 3 identical buildings, 1 has no floor overhang, 2 has a little bit of overhang and 3 has a lot of floor overhang.

Screenshot.jpg

So here are the close up shots, can you spot the problem/difference yet?

Screenshot-2.jpg

Screenshot-4.jpg

I have found the problem to be grid placement. :roll:

Unless you place in the right spot to start with you always end up with the tile problem. Then add in that we have to use moveobjects on to put the pieces together, this can cause problems too as it's very easy to overlap pieces too much and not notice till you are further along in the build.

I also mentioned originally about floor gaps on straight parts of the building - I had been using the tab key to place certain areas of the castle parts to try and get flat walls and avoid this sticky out thing...

Screenshot-5.jpg

So I guess I have kinda solved this problem but I wonder why EA gave no instructions with this castle kit? I don't think I am a noob at building but yeah some guidelines on this would have been helpful. So in short line up your circular castle pieces to the dotted grid lines and not the ones you usually use for building. :roll:

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Please honour our friends and their excellent work!
    Please recommend all entries and contributions!

A great example from a forum family friend:
    Cape May Lighthouse by Sashraf

A lovely contribution from our very own Kezza11178, somewhat oversized for our competition:
    Bellrock Signal Tower - Post, Page 8

Entries

Yoda65 - Phare de l'île aux Moutons - Lighthouse Sheep Island - Post, Page 4

Pegasas1993 - Expanded Lighthouse for the Desert - Please rec this one --> Lighthouse for the Desert - Post, Page 5

Kezza11178 - Bellrock Lighthouse - Post, Page 5

Romagi1 - Stonehedge Lighthouse - Post, Page 6

3TREES - Jackson Memorial Lighthouse - Post, Page 6

Sashraf - Avery Point Lighthouse - Post, Page 9
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Reserved for winners, maybe? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    originalsimoriginalsim Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited April 2011
    Hmmmm...What to do?

This is an interesting challenge Ri-chan. I can't wait to see what unfolds here.
  • Options
    itguyinscitguyinsc Posts: 5,765 Member
    edited April 2011
    If my game stops being buggy, I am in! Great idea! Wish I had that spiral staircase already....LOL :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    zanysazyzanysazy Posts: 2,210 New Member
    edited April 2011
    really good idea! Its a shame we cant make circle buildings :(

<~Lurking~>
  • Options
    yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited April 2011
    I like Lighthouse!! :shock: it could be cool to do but difficult too! :mrgreen:
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
  • Options
    cherryberrybloocherryberrybloo Posts: 4,293 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I glimpsed this and only got to read about half of the OP before dashing off for dinner and a movie with the husband... I was so excited, formulating a plan in my silly little head... Too bad I'll have to scrap it and do some research now that I've read the rest of the OP.

No matter, this is a very intriguing idea, and I'm very excited to build something for you!
  • Options
    godshelpiogodshelpio Posts: 1,675 Member
    edited April 2011
    i cant wait to start this :)
  • Options
    Jurik1124Jurik1124 Posts: 4,627 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Oooh Reach! I want to do this! I have always wanted to make a lighthouse, but always run into problems. I was going to wait until generations to try again with the new spiral staircase, but I am going to give it another shot anyways! I'm so excited and having until May 20th will really help! :D Count me in! (I can't make any promises though - like I said, I tried before and have demolished many subpar lighthouses... )
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sorry :oops: Don't know what this is for ?: placefriezes on :?:
    and never use this one: constrainfloorelevation false, But I've seen what does this one :mrgreen:

Reach, could you Please post a picture of the location in Sunset Valley? Cause I don't have the same names in my game :mrgreen:
    Edit: :lol: I found a "180 route des séquoias" Lot! 40X30 May be it is this one?
    Yes! I see now the Sunset Valley's Lighthouse just in front of the location! OK :-)
  • Options
    EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited April 2011
    we have really cool lighthouses on the oregon coast, the spiral staircases would be nice for this :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    avajonesavajones Posts: 320
    edited April 2011
    I have bookmarked this and cannot wait to see all the creative entries. I cannot imagine how I would build a lighthouse as I envision it. I'm not good with the constrainfloorelevation cheat, making landings on staircases, etc. I have tried and failed, miserably. But, ya never know. I may take a shot just to try....
    Its a great idea Reach!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    After we get our spiral staircases I just may run this competition again. :mrgreen: For now, I would suggest exterior stairs.

Yoda, here is an example of a frieze. It is the equivalent of a foundation but sits on top of a wall/floor level.

In this example we have from the ground:
    1. A foundation
    2. Wall
    3. A frieze
    4. Roof

screenshot_original.jpg"width=640"

In my Nectary, which you have, there is a frieze also.

screenshot_original.jpg"width=640"

Thanks to XOX1, here is the map, upper right is Redwood (Parkway) We want number 180.
    XOX1-SunsetValleyMap-8a.jpg

:!: Also, please don't miss this Sims 3 example:
    The Old Lighthouse by Holy Simoly
    Screenshots for the above lot

Oregon has gorgeous lighthouses, Pamela and I hope you will contribute at least one of them to this competition. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited April 2011
    I've been wanting to build a lighthouse for awhile!

Good thing we have a lot of time. What I have in mind I have never done before...hoping I can figure it out. :)
  • Options
    whisperingtruthwhisperingtruth Posts: 2,540 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Reach - This is an excellent and fun idea. I love also that it has that "small" "cozy" aspect to it. I will be pondering and contemplating, and hopefully with the longish timeline be able to come up with something. :) Glad to see you join the contest hosts! :)
  • Options
    WELSHMINXWELSHMINX Posts: 13,672 New Member
    edited April 2011
    ooh will have to put my thinking cap on!!
    love the idea hun!!
    hugs! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks Reach for the pictures and explanations :D I started to build with a clear idea (we have a lot of lighthouses in France too), but it is not easy! :oops:
  • Options
    kezza11178kezza11178 Posts: 1,587 Member
    edited April 2011
    i will get started on this at some point today it sounds like fun :D:D
    our lighthouse just celebrated its 100th year :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jurik1124 wrote:
    Oooh Reach! I want to do this! I have always wanted to make a lighthouse, but always run into problems. I was going to wait until generations to try again with the new spiral staircase, but I am going to give it another shot anyways! I'm so excited and having until May 20th will really help! :D Count me in! (I can't make any promises though - like I said, I tried before and have demolished many subpar lighthouses... )

I consider you committed. :mrgreen: I thought of waiting until Generations came out but I think it's more of a challenge to work with what we have now. Besides, many of our friends will not be buying this new expansion pack the moment it comes out.

:!: To those who have Ambitions, do not forget about the fireman's pole which offers some bit of exercise for our Sims and takes up less room than the spiral stairs will once we get them. However, in the example I gave you, Holy Simoly did not have that pole and managed to build a gorgeous lighthouse without it.
  • Options
    GoukaGouka Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited April 2011
    Hmm the first time I looked at this contest, I decided it was too hard for me and I just couldn't figure out how to make a round lighthouse (they must be round!) in the Sims 3. Then I looked at the example you gave by Holy Simoly and... I think I want to make one (even if it can't be fully round)! More specifically, I put the lighthouse object in my world but at the time really wished it was a real lighthouse that someone could visit or even live in. And the idea has just popped into my mind that I can take that space in my world and make a lighthouse for the contest that conveniently fits in the world, too. I don't promise any amazing creativity because I've never done this before, but I'm really looking forward to it. I need to stop looking at contests now. I think this makes the fourth one I'll be working on, and that's a lot to do at once. Now to go look at pictures of lighthouses!
    Gouka on The Sims 3
  • Options
    whisperingtruthwhisperingtruth Posts: 2,540 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Gouka - Stop being so hard on yourself! :roll: Good grief, your a very talented sim creator! Silly woman! lol I can't wait to see what you come up with. I think the "round" building is going to be a challenge for all of us. But that's what makes it fun! ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gouka - Stop being so hard on yourself! :roll: Good grief, your a very talented sim creator! Silly woman! lol I can't wait to see what you come up with. I think the "round" building is going to be a challenge for all of us. But that's what makes it fun! ;)
    ^^This.^^

There are probably lots of challenges in this particular competition. Some of our friends have never built a basement. Some people might have the Castle Kit and who knows what they might come up with? As I mentioned already, some will have Ambitions and they will have access to the Fireman's Pole. There are even those who have not yet tried out raising the level of the terrain. There are all kinds of variables.

Gouka, you are being silly! We all saw what you accomplished with your evil lair. We already know what you are capable of... I think. 8)

For those who are struggling, the Old Lighthouse by Holy Simoly is CC-free and I have run it through CUSTARD and it comes up completely clean. There are NOT any CC patterns in it either. It's a very good lot to install in your game and study... but it lacks a basement for my needs and the 20 wide by 30 deep lot is smaller than I want it to be. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    JackGriffJackGriff Posts: 36 New Member
    edited April 2011
    This is my first competition ever, i've always been a bit scared to enter one. This seems like a really fun one to enter. I have one question (maybe 2): Is there a price limit and if there is what is it. Also i would like to ask are we able to add in our own plants (as in apple trees, lettuce plants etc.) or would you rather just a clear space to grow your own? Thanks :-) Really looking forward to my first challenge.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hi Jack! Welcome aboard! :D Good questions! I realize I could have said more in my opening post but it was longer than I wanted already. :D

Answers: There is no limit on expense. The lighthouses I have built myself ran about 65-100K plus about 5K for the land. I'm not a fan of a lot of clutter but I have a pretty decent collection of CC art which is really gorgeous. Art will drive the price up.

Secondly, you are welcome to plant the veges and trees, etc... that will add to the finished look of your lot.

I'm so glad you are joining in! I hope that you will find us helpful and friendly. Feel free to ask anything you'd like, to ask for help on something if you need to, etc... We don't bite very often and only when we are underfed and very hungry. :mrgreen: