Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play?

I feel kind of alienated in these forums sometimes because my tastes seem to clash with what the norm is.

I like having challenges to overcome (which obviously makes fears my most missed feature from TS2), and from what I can tell most simmers here like to simply play doll-houses where they have complete control over everything (which obviously makes Twallan's mods very appealing). Control trumps challenge and adversity, and I don't like controlling anything beyond what my Sims do... autonomy being the very most I tolerate as far as messing around with settings. I don't even touch the lifespan slider.

I'm also very off-style as far my style in Sims creations. A lot of CAS Sims I see on here seem to me very reminiscent of each other. The valley girls and the scene girls (and their male counterparts) are all too pervasive it seems. I really like it when my Sims just ooze personality rather than simply being rather similar aesthetes-- I really like diversity.

I also like it when I see my Sims in a bad mood every once in a while, and when I see them fail at doing things, and having to build up their skills on their own, and having to accept my children for looking however they might come out, and losing control over my Sims every once in a while. The realism isn't really what appeals to me-- it's having obstacles to overcome, and not having everything always go my way. I also like it when I'm annoyed by certain Sims.

I grew up playing Dungeons and Dragon and such games, where even though they require a lot of imagination to become involved in them, whether things went your way or not wasn't really up to you-- it's dominated by the checks and balances set up by the game rules. Sometimes you want to spot a trap but you don't see it and it kills you, not because you didn't try to but because circumstance simply wasn't on your side. I create my scenarios based on the input I receive around me, rather than forcing the game to provide for me.

So, sorry for the long wall of text... I just want to know if there is a kindred spirit out there. And even if you're not, how do you like to play the game?

Comments

• Options
    MLittlepawMLittlepaw Posts: 17,193 New Member
    edited April 2011

I just like to play it. :mrgreen: (and make my Sims have airship-loads of kids)
    I'm also making a steampunk-themed neighborhood. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    jkmartinez2jkmartinez2 Posts: 2,858 Member
    edited April 2011
    Ricky_Bo wrote:
    I feel kind of alienated in these forums sometimes because my tastes seem to clash with what the norm is.

I like having challenges to overcome (which obviously makes fears my most missed feature from TS2), and from what I can tell most simmers here like to simply play doll-houses where they have complete control over everything (which obviously makes Twallan's mods very appealing). Control trumps challenge and adversity, and I don't like controlling anything beyond what my Sims do... autonomy being the very most I tolerate as far as messing around with settings. I don't even touch the lifespan slider.

I'm also very off-style as far my style in Sims creations. A lot of CAS Sims I see on here seem to me very reminiscent of each other. The valley girls and the scene girls (and their male counterparts) are all too pervasive it seems. I really like it when my Sims just ooze personality rather than simply being rather similar aesthetes-- I really like diversity.

I also like it when I see my Sims in a bad mood every once in a while, and when I see them fail at doing things, and having to build up their skills on their own, and having to accept my children for looking however they might come out, and losing control over my Sims every once in a while. The realism isn't really what appeals to me-- it's having obstacles to overcome, and not having everything always go my way. I also like it when I'm annoyed by certain Sims.

I grew up playing Dungeons and Dragon and such games, where even though they require a lot of imagination to become involved in them, whether things went your way or not wasn't really up to you-- it's dominated by the checks and balances set up by the game rules. Sometimes you want to spot a trap but you don't see it and it kills you, not because you didn't try to but because circumstance simply wasn't on your side. I create my scenarios based on the input I receive around me, rather than forcing the game to provide for me.

So, sorry for the long wall of text... I just want to know if there is a kindred spirit out there. And even if you're not, how do you like to play the game?

I really think you have the wrong idea about Twallan's Mods. They don't remove any challenge. They just make the game glitch free. Unless you consider glitches challenges.

I play the same way I would without them but they make the game come alive.

I play all sorts of competitions and I don't cheat.

I might play another game and use all the cheats.

But Twallan's Mods don't make you cheat, they just allow the game to be played like it was intended.
  • Options
    tanya7768tanya7768 Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2011
    I play my Sims the way you do, I enjoy the diversity, and thank you for your post :D
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited April 2011
    I've taken to going to this site that has a writing challenge generator, and generating a "challenge" that I then have to use in my story. I get a idea for my story and try to keep whatever I have to do relating to that idea.

It started with "the story takes place a year in the past" I've had my sim get married in the library, I ended up having to kill her best friend who'd barely even been in my story and was one of my favourite sims ever. I've had to change some of her traits. It makes my game slightly unpredictable and keeps me away from creating sims with the same traits that have the same jobs, and get married and have a bunch of babies that I never see grow up because I get bored and repeat the process.

• Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2011
    i am playing 2 hoods at moment both are challenges one is the live of the land where they have to grow stuff to eat they can't buy at super markets they can't buy electric items unless they complete certain challenges, anthor is that they have to marry npc and can't marry ones in the hood this can be fun cause you don't know there traits. you allso can't pick traits for the children even if they do well in school its all random pick, so i have had alot of bad traits sims fighting etc, fun tho and keeps it interesting.
  • Options
    LuvDyrdekLuvDyrdek Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2011
    im pretty accepting as you are. i look forward to challenges as well. i do use chairs sometime though. i love to see a large variety of sims, different sizes, some pretty, some less than pretty, some with terrible personalities, others with great ones, haha(:
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited April 2011
    Ricky_Bo wrote:

Playing your own style of game does not alienate one from others in the forum. People are alienated when they insist that their way is the only way to play and belittle the style of others. It's a game and should be played however one sees fit.
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited April 2011
    The way I play? I like creating drama. :lol:

My sim Leah is Beau Merrick's girlfriend, and she became pregnant after they both had one too many drinks at a club, and decided to have some Elevator WooHoo. Leah wants to get married to Beau, however, every time she queues "Propose", Beau always refuses and starts running in the opposite direction. Meanwhile, while playing Beau, he always has wishes to see someone else, and wants to go to bars...without Leah, which is possibly why he doesn't want to be married to Leah.

This wouldn't have been possible without SP, and MC.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited April 2011
    I play my game the way I want to play it, there's no right or wrong way for any simmer to play. There's no rule book, no one's keeping score and there are no winners or losers. It's a just there for sheer enjoyment. There are as many ways to play this game as there are simmers in existence. That's why we, no matter how different our playing styles might seem, all love it. :-)
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited April 2011
    Darkling wrote:
    I play my game the way I want to play it, there's no right or wrong way for any simmer to play. There's no rule book, no one's keeping score and there are no winners or losers. It's a just there for sheer enjoyment. There are as many ways to play this game as there are simmers in existence. That's why we, no matter how different our playing styles might seem, all love it. :-)
    This
    I try spicing up my sims lives any way I can
    Just to make it a little more dramatic :mrgreen:
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited April 2011
    The way I play? I like creating drama. :lol:

My sim Leah is Beau Merrick's girlfriend, and she became pregnant after they both had one too many drinks at a club, and decided to have some Elevator WooHoo. Leah wants to get married to Beau, however, every time she queues "Propose", Beau always refuses and starts running in the opposite direction. Meanwhile, while playing Beau, he always has wishes to see someone else, and wants to go to bars...without Leah, which is possibly why he doesn't want to be married to Leah.

This wouldn't have been possible without SP, and MC.
    LOL I like drama to its like your sims are living a soap opera. :D
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I'm just the opposite- I play dollhouse with me sims for sure! I like to be in control; when I actually play that is. Honestly, for the most part I'm creating sims and taking pictures. I spend more time doing that than anything else.

Besides that I love creating drama. x)