Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Collecting Gemstones

Okay. So after you collect them you can send them off to get cut, and if you get metal, you can have it smelted.

Is that it? Once they are cut and smelted, you can't make anything out of them? So they just sit in your inventory. Since there aren't any shelves to display your finds.....

I think it would be really cool if we could make jewelery out of them. It'd be special. :mrgreen: Dontchya think?

Comments

• Options
    LukasFreemanLukasFreeman Posts: 185 Member
    edited June 2009
    Great idea. I usualy just sell mine.
  • Options
    ZetawilkZetawilk Posts: 852 New Member
    edited June 2009
    *******, I just asked this question, and I haven't gotten an answer yet either. I even put in a rant about how the Sims 3 forums search function failed me AGAIN.
  • Options
    PrincessRainbowPrincessRainbow Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I searched the topic before I posted, and nothing came up...Weird.
  • Options
    SullySully Posts: 750 New Member
    edited June 2009
    There is actually a functional display counter at the 'Decorative' section under sculptures. It looks like a white block but it's a great place to put your gems on.

As far as displays go, that's about it. Try and make do.
  • Options
    PurrcatPurrcat Posts: 130 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I put the diamond and sapphire on my coffee table. If you click on it you can change what it's sitting on to a pillow or pedestal I think it was. Otherwise I don't know what to do with them. I have a ridiculous amount of rocks in my inventory now. lol
  • Options
    LadyParkerLadyParker Posts: 81 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Okay. So after you collect them you can send them off to get cut, and if you get metal, you can have it smelted.

Is that it? Once they are cut and smelted, you can't make anything out of them? So they just sit in your inventory. Since there aren't any shelves to display your finds.....

I think it would be really cool if we could make jewellery out of them. It'd be special. :mrgreen: Dontchya think?

from what i know and what i read on the forums here yes that's all you can do with them at the moment sometimes you might get a mysterious gnome in the post if replacement of you expensive gems

but yeah that would also be a good idea to make jewellery outta them :@)
  • Options
    Gouka989Gouka989 Posts: 976 New Member
    edited June 2009
    They seem to only be for display on tables at the moment. But some of those meteors, especially a big one, can net you a ton of money if you get lucky. One of my Sims found a really large one worth over 3000 simoleons...and then after inspecting it found it to be really rare and the value went up to over 15000. That was a nice little find. 8)
  • Options
    SlinkyScrapSlinkyScrap Posts: 1,551 Member
    edited June 2009
    I was going to put my gems out to show off. You can even place them in the corners of your bathtub (like the rubber duckie) and on your sink counters.

I didn't put any out because I was afraid my klepto sim friends would steal them. Then I would cry.
  • Options
    NotaBeneNotaBene Posts: 460 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I was also disappointed that there were no 'collectors shelves' in the game. It seems like an obvious addition when there are collectables. >_>

I usually keep the gems and metals in the family vault, which is basically just a room (usually in the basement) with 3-4 garage doors - sims can't get in without you manually opening them, even the burglars can't, plus, it looks pretty cool to watch the vault opening door-by-door.
  • Options
    Gouka989Gouka989 Posts: 976 New Member
    edited June 2009
    NotaBene wrote:
    I was also disappointed that there were no 'collectors shelves' in the game. It seems like an obvious addition when there are collectables. >_>

I usually keep the gems and metals in the family vault, which is basically just a room (usually in the basement) with 3-4 garage doors - sims can't get in without you manually opening them, even the burglars can't, plus, it looks pretty cool to watch the vault opening door-by-door.

Ah, nice! 8)
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    edited June 2009
    I just tested my moodlet speculation and I was wrong. I had a Sim stand in a room with no decorations, but several grand in gems on display, and she got no decoration mood bonus at all. So they're not even good for that.

Oh well, I'll still collect em... cause I'm a sap.
  • Options
    JeramooJeramoo Posts: 229 New Member
    edited June 2009
    NotaBene wrote:

That's a really great idea! Thanks!
  • Options
    KatariiKatarii Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have sooo many cut stones now its ridiculous. but i found a great place for them... the bottom of my pool... they dont interfere with my sims swimming. i just turned on Moveobjects and voila! a pretty pool bottom
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited June 2009
    ooo sparkly pool decor!! nice idea. and burgaler proof too lol
  • Options
    Handman50Handman50 Posts: 156 Member
    edited June 2009
    NotaBene wrote:

I'ma gonna have to steal that idea! Thanks!
  • Options
    Handman50Handman50 Posts: 156 Member
    edited June 2009
    Katarii wrote:
    I have sooo many cut stones now its ridiculous. but i found a great place for them... the bottom of my pool... they dont interfere with my sims swimming. i just turned on Moveobjects and voila! a pretty pool bottom
    Also a good idea!
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited June 2009
    I tried using that display stand that someone mentioned but could only put one gem on it.
    I built an extra room, put in 4 of those really long glass top dining tables and one glass top coffee table and started putting all the gems on them. I decided not to use the pillows. Instead I use the little display stands. I sold all the bars and all the meteorites except for a large meteorite that is in the yard. Hopefully EA will give us shelves that can be used.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The only place I've found gems is at the graveyard. :(