Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No more paper manuals by EA. Are you bothered?

News over at IGN is that EA will no longer be supplying paper manuals in their future games to be more eco friendly. Instead the manuals will be put on the game disc.
It's a safe bet to say that future eps and sps wont have them so will you miss the manuals?
I personally will miss them :(

Comments

• Options
    aadddaaddd Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited March 2011
    I well miss theam.I like reading the books i get with games includeing the sims games.thay call it being eco friendly I call it being cheap.
  • Options
    MaulRat17MaulRat17 Posts: 903 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I'm not bothered at all. Less paper, less waste. I think that's very eco-conscious of them. Plus, it probably costs more to print out all those manuals. Saves them money to use on other things like patches.....oh wait... :lol:
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited March 2011
    I wont miss them.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2011
    Its nice their trying to be eco friendly. I always just flipped through the booklet and it gave me something to read on the car ride home. Can't say I'll miss it but it'll be weird to expect it and it not be there anymore.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    memorybulletsmemorybullets Posts: 62 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I don't think that I'll miss them. However, I always read them when I'm installing the sims so I'll just have to find something else to do while I wait :P

Where will the codes be?
  • Options
    BafendoBafendo Posts: 2,127 Member
    edited March 2011
    funny thing about this. EA is doing this to be "green", but if that's true why did they waste plastic for the empty Barnacle Bay case? and the code will most likely be on a slip.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2011
    Bafendo wrote:
    funny thing about this. EA is doing this to be "green", but if that's true why did they waste plastic for the empty Barnacle Bay case? and the code will most likely be on a slip.

That's what I was going to say :(

I will miss the manual. They have become part of games for me since I bought my first game back in the 1980ies.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    pinkstar2000pinkstar2000 Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited March 2011
    aaddd wrote:
    I well miss theam.I like reading the books i get with games includeing the sims games.thay call it being eco friendly I call it being cheap.

LOL this xD
  • Options
    MaulRat17MaulRat17 Posts: 903 New Member
    edited March 2011
    Bafendo wrote:

Yeah i thought about that too. I hope they streamline the cases then. There's no need for a bulky DVD case. Although, I'm a person who likes consistency, so if they started making smaller cases for the rest of the eps and sps, it would bother me. They just can't win! :lol:
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited March 2011
    is it really for not wasting paper or it is for not wasting money? :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    another thing is the manual will probably be a PDF file on the disc from now on. but then again for those who use EADM when you put your game code in it you can download the manual.
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited March 2011
    I really can't wait until games become direct download only.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited March 2011
    only thing that bother's me about that is if the game disc breaks gets scratch ,won't work you can't get the manual or your game code thats usually on back of the booklet unless they have a downloadable version of the manual. i don't mind them having a downloadable version saves you loosing it.
  • Options
    TJSlippermanTJSlipperman Posts: 79
    edited March 2011
    I'll kinda miss having an actual paper manual to read...but I understand they're trying to be more eco-friendly, which is cool...and the manual will probably be a .pdf file from here on out.

Tim (aka the Slipperman)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    only thing that bother's me about that is if the game disc breaks gets scratch ,won't work you can't get the manual or your game code thats usually on back of the booklet unless they have a downloadable version of the manual.
    even though the manual will be gone they will probably include a slip that has the code on it. either that or there will be one on the receipt.
  • Options
    PandacoffeePandacoffee Posts: 702 Member
    edited March 2011
    Yay!!! I'm all about going green!
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited March 2011
    Well, it's nice they're trying to be eco friendly, but I doubt they're doing it because of that. It's their way of covering up their being cheap...

I always look at those manuels! I browse through them while my game is installing. I will miss them a lot :(.
  • Options
    ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I'd rather they print the code on a waterproof sticker and put it on the case. those cards are tiny and prone to being lost.

The manuals are sort of useless anyway.
  • Options
    KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited March 2011
    I will miss them too. I liked reading them to gain inspiration to play. Also, they make the game package feel complete. Like a keepsake. I keep ALL my game packages and every last piece of information neatly inside of them.

Ah well. The times, they are a-changin'.
  • Options
    AlyssaLeexoAlyssaLeexo Posts: 260
    edited March 2011
    I like manuals but hey it saves trees so of course I'm not bothered! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited March 2011
    aaddd wrote:

Me too although I usually like looking at the artwork in the manual and reading the backstory and info about characters etc. It is a shame that over the past 10-15 years the game industry in general has pretty much stopped putting any good art in their manuals. I hope the elimination of paper manuals doesn't eliminate artwork in them completely but I have a bad feeling it will. I don't know I guess I am eccentric.
  • Options
    FeliciaB84FeliciaB84 Posts: 8,479 New Member
    edited March 2011
    It really doesn't matter to me, I get digital downloads, anyways. I'm sure there was an option for me to download a manual for Late Night, but I never did.
  • Options
    lunasysimslunasysims Posts: 5,858 Member
    edited March 2011
    I liked the little manuals. They were always fun to look through as the game installed. I guess now we'll just have to read the one on the computer.

Not that big of a loss I guess. It also prevents people from calling and saying "I lost my manual, can I have a new game or code?"
    Happiness is always just a plumbob away.
  • Options
    EverettEverett Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited March 2011
    Going to miss manuals. I collect game boxes mostly for that purpose.

I'm seeing digital games have their manuals in pdf format, guess this is the way digital and physical copies will be.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited March 2011
    The book let I will miss, nice to have one smal basic info on paper, and I want the code on a paper.
    But not the big manuall, if thats the one they talk about.

Some one said they can't wait til all games are downloade :shock: Hmm I want to have the disc, so I would not buy a game that is only downloade (extra stuff from the store is an other ting) base games and EP, with new functions on a disc please (If they want me to buy it)
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳