Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poor Marketing Choices........Ea's Responses

Here is the response I have gotten from EA Live Chat and Online Answers. I have to say, I am way beyond disapppointed.

Live Chat with Simon;
imon: Hi, my name is Simon. How may I help you?

2285955640: Hi I was wonderin g if there had been any discussion concerning those of us who had purchased Barancle Bay and Bucaneers Bounty when it first came out being able to purchase the 2 new stairs?

Simon: Okay

2285955640: I know some have recieved $20.00 TO REPURCHASE BUT IF WE DO THAT WE LOSE ANY SAVED GAMES WITH THE PREVIOUS bARNACLE bAY, sO THAT IS A VERY POOR OPTION. Sorry about the caps

Simon: Could you please let me know the exact problem you are facing ?

2285955640: I had purchased both BB and Bucaneeers Bounty when it was first posted in the store. Now there is a new BB in the store that includes Buccaneers Bounty and 2 new stairs that were not available previously and are not available for purchase seperatly. I wanted to know if at some point they will make those stairs available as I do not want to repurchase a set for 2 stairs, and repurchasing BB would mean I would lose any saved games that I have from the first installed BB.

Simon: So you want the $20 discount code ?

Simon: Are you there?

2285955640: NO! If I were to re-purchase the BB package I would have to un-install the BB I had periously PURCHASED. Then I would lose all the saved games from that previous install. I am looking to PURCHASE the 2 new stairs. I understand marketing exclusive items to build sales, but adding them to a previously released item and leaving those of us that had already made the purchase "out of the loop" seems to be a very poor marketing choice as it really alienates your customers that had made the purchases previously. I would like to see those 2 new stairs available seperatly for those of us who already have the first BB.

Simon: Have you re-purchased BB from the store?

Simon: I would recommend that you re-purchase BB from the store. You shouldn't loose your saved data. As a precautionary measure, you can always back up the date so that just in case you lose any data, you can recover it.

2285955640: No, I am still using my purchase from the first store offering. I DO NOT want to re-purchaase as the saved games will not work on the re-purchased world. It has already been tried by someone on the forum. All saved BB games were lost. I am trying to tell EA thatthe customers who have already bought BB would like to recieve or purchase only the 2 NEW stairs included in the New BB package.

Simon: I will surely forward your feedback to the appropriate team and I thank you for your feedback.

Simon: You may also post your feedback on the forums so that you can voice your suggestions to Development team and Product team.

Simon: Is there anything else I may assist you with, today?

2285955640: The games were saved and after installing the new BB, the saved games would not work. And why should I have to re-purchase an item, spend more money when I bought the "EXCLUSIVE" package and payed full price when it first came out. Is it my fault that the world di not go over well and EA has decided to re market it? It is bad enough that the game comes with problems that take for ever to get patched, but now we have to deal with questionable marketing practices.
comes with problems that take for ever to get patched, but now we have to deal with questionable marketing practices.

Simon: I completely agree, but the $20 could should allow you to repurchase it. I understand that it's frustrating from your and sincerely regret any inconvenience caused.

2285955640: Oh believe me, I have been chatting on the forum, and I have e-mailed Ea and I get the same "pat on the head" response from them as I am getting here!

2285955640: Oh believe me, I have been chatting on the forum, and I have e-mailed Ea and I get the same "pat on the head" response from them as I am getting here!

Simon: Unfortunately, we do not have control over the game design so we cannot fix bugs, but rest assured that I will do everything to make sure that your feedback reaches the appropriate department.

2285955640: Thank You Simon, I do realize you are just the sounding boad.

2285955640: Once again thank you for your time
and sincerely regret any inconvenience caused.

Simon: Unfortunately, we do not have control over the game design so we cannot fix bugs, but rest assured that I will do everything to make sure that your feedback reaches the appropriate department.

2285955640: Thank You Simon, I do realize you are just the sounding boad.

2285955640: Once again thank you for your time
Simon: It was my pleasure to assist you.

Simon: Thank you for contacting us.

Simon: Bye and take care

(I truly can not be mean to the people on the front line that really have no control over the poor marketing choices)

e-MAIL to EA Support;

I had purchased Barnacle Bay and Buccaneers Bounty when it was first posted at the store. Now I find you have released a "NEW iMPROVED" BB with Bounty included as well as the 2 new stairs that I am unabled to download seperately. I have do not have a problem with seeing things I purchased at full price listed at a reduced price on the daily deal. It is like everything else, if you want it first you pay more. However I am very dissapointed that by paying full price for both items, I have been left out of the opportunity to download the rope stairs that match the fencing I already have. I know some people are getting gift codes to re-purchase BB and BB, but that will not work as I would lose all saved games I have using the previous BB. Is anyone going to address this issue for us? This is one of the reasons I had hesitated to buy things from the store. Not having a disc means I could lose things I have purchases. Using a back up cd or usp does not always work as the launcher does not always recognize some of the items.Also I am getting a "security certificate expired" everytime I try to access my store account. What is that about??

Thank You for your time,looking forward to your response.

kimjo313

Pat on the head response;

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

I can understand how frustrating issues like this can be and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I would like to tell you that all feedback and suggestions regarding game play and balance are reviewed and sent to the appropriate teams. We want to thank you though for taking the time to submit your feedback or idea and let you know we really appreciate the dedication our games create.

The Developers review and read the reports we submit to them in hopes that collecting player's opinion can make a better game. We value all our players' feedback and concerns and consider them very important. We encourage you to also post your feedback to the game forums (http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/list.page). Forums are presented to our players to help each other, build community and further communication between Fans and Developers.

If you need any further assistance regarding your question, please let us know by updating this incident.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Amrit
EA Customer Support

So, everyone wants us to come to the forum for answers. Well it looks to me like anyone who previosly purchased BB would like to have the stairs for free or at the least able to purchase seperetly. So there is the answer EA! Make it happen!

kim :evil:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited March 2011
    I admit I'm mystified about EA's decision not to release the stair items to those who bought BB before the current marketing push. I accept that clearly it was a business decision and I really want to trust that they considered the ramifications of the decision before making it public that those previous adopters were SOL. I appreciate the $20 credit, but really I'd have been perfectly satisfied with the stair objects being released to my account.

I guess you could export your Sim household and restart with the new BB, which sounds like it has a whole new world ID than the old one, but then you'd have to make friends again and redo quests etc. I wouldn't care for that much either. But there's not a perfect solution due to how EA designed the new BB world. I guess in my situation it wasn't so bad for me because I never really seriously played BB to begin with--I just got the set for the objects to begin with :)

All around a confusing business decision, EA. Very confusing.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited March 2011
    Yes don't they know they ignore us on the forums. The simgurus don't even reply anymore. That's bad customer service. Oh and I don't even know why they have an ideas forum because none of that stuff makes it into the game.
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited March 2011
    I've been trying all evening to log in to the 'help' section to ask about BB, but I can't get in. It's very frustrating - but it could be worse. I could be on the other end and have to deal with angry customers all day... :D

• Options
    belakissesbelakisses Posts: 250 Member
    edited March 2011
    Hi,I don't know if this will help you, but I kept the old B.B. on my game and downloaded the new one without deleting the old B.B. I was able to use my old game,just the stairs were added.I don't know if this will work for everyone,but it did for me.
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited March 2011
    OK this is strange.

I submitted a support request for the same issue. I bought BBay and BBounty, I want the stairs yadda yadda.

Not a problem, they came back telling me they had refunded the Simpoints for Barnacle Bay.

Unfortunately they didn't credit 2000 Simpoints, only the original cost of Barnacle Bay so the stairs are going to cost me 350 Simpoints.

Is it wrong that I see this as a win? I guess I should be dissatisfied but my EA has set the bar so low for expectations that I'm happy with this. This surprises me.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited March 2011
    MrHawk wrote:
    OK this is strange.

I submitted a support request for the same issue. I bought BBay and BBounty, I want the stairs yadda yadda.

Not a problem, they came back telling me they had refunded the Simpoints for Barnacle Bay.

Unfortunately they didn't credit 2000 Simpoints, only the original cost of Barnacle Bay so the stairs are going to cost me 350 Simpoints.

Is it wrong that I see this as a win? I guess I should be dissatisfied but my EA has set the bar so low for expectations that I'm happy with this. This surprises me.

That is what happened with mine. I actually hadn't asked for the refund, just asked about the possibility of getting the stairs made available for download. I would even purchase the rope one. However not for the 350. Plus i had already purchased bounty set at 850 previously so getting it included wouldn't really be a bonus for me.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited March 2011
    you will not lose your saved games...
  • Options
    Trufan1Trufan1 Posts: 4,425 Member
    edited March 2011
    bluegayle_ wrote:
    MrHawk wrote:
    OK this is strange.

That is what happened with mine. I actually hadn't asked for the refund, just asked about the possibility of getting the stairs made available for download. I would even purchase the rope one. However not for the 350. Plus i had already purchased bounty set at 850 previously so getting it included wouldn't really be a bonus for me.

Since your problem wasn't really solved, you guys can probably try agian with custumer service to get more credit towards the new set.

To be honest though, if I were to get the simpoints to cover both....I probably wouldn't rebuy the world...the stairs are nice... but there's other things that are much nicer lol. It would be like... compliments of EA and their frustrating consumer courtesy! :lol:
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited March 2011
    To be honest though, if I were to get the simpoints to cover both....I probably wouldn't rebuy the world...the stairs are nice... but there's other things that are much nicer lol. It would be like... compliments of EA and their frustrating consumer courtesy!

:mrgreen:
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    BGateGWayBBGateGWayB Posts: 3,828 Member
    edited March 2011
    Do you have a link to get to the chat support? No this isn't a BB issue it's simpoints, don't wana wait for 10 years to get it fixed so live chat sounds better. :S
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited March 2011
    I'd say email instead of chat.

It took me less than 24 hrs.