Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

<--> Interior Design Challenge #1! <--> <->Part 2 Starting Now! <->

Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member

Here's a link to part 2:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/354648.page

Grigori Caravaggio has big dreams of being Sunset Valley's hottest architect.
idc2a.jpg

But Sunset Valley mayor Joe Bunker is not amused.
idc2b.jpg

The new Caravaggio Gym is only two weeks away from opening, and it still doesn't even have one exercise machine (and homeless guitar players have apparently started to move in). ;)
idc2c.jpg

Grigori doesn't have the heart to tell Joe the truth: his interior designer has mysteriously disappeared.
idc2d.jpg

But he assures Joe that he's an artist.
idc2e.jpg

Walking through the huge facility alone, it's obvious he needs help.
idc2f.jpg

The sun is setting on his career. He needs a new designer, and fast!

Part 2 Begins March 19th!

Welcome builders! I'm excited to be presenting my first Interior Design Challenge! The Contest is now closed....

And the winner is....

luckyheather!

I chose this entry as the winner because it had a definite style to it, and was very consistently beautiful throughout. The patterns were well-chosen and tastefully used, and offered just enough variations. The colours really helped to enhance the space and make it seem big and bright. Nice work luckyheather! Your prizes will be sent soon. :)

Some of my other favourite entries:

marcel21 - It was easy to see a huge amount of work went into this entry. Lots of great details, and some of my favourite colours used throughout.

chuvadeprata - A great entry that had just the right amount of consistency, yet variation. The rooms offered tremendous detail and also felt very cozy and "lived-in."

Wolf10kFire - Great colour and pattern choices made this entry feel cozy, comfortable and warm.

I probably could have chosen any one of these as the winner, but in the end I could only choose one... and it was very hard to decide!

Thank you to everyone who entered! You've all helped to make this challenge a great success. :) Please stay tuned to this thread for details of the next challenge! It will be starting on March 19th and running until April 2nd.

The contestents so far (if you want your name added or removed, just ask) :
A happy face icon indicates the contestent has submitted photos. :)

AmberM66
Wolf10kFire :)
itguyinsc :)
Jessa_Dakkar :)
Dana_Nichole
pepper090889 :)
playerpopet :)
DP1916 :)
CassidyBCullen
YOTEAMO :)
luckyheather :)
Marcel21 :)
Cullen23 :)
chuvadeprata :)
flme_5 :)
ciane :)

Your goal: decorate and furnish this house with as much creativity, innovation and good taste as you can muster.

designchallenge1.jpg
designchallenge1a.jpg
designchallenge1b.jpg

The house may look ordinary on the outside, but this challenge is just a warm-up. If this challenge is a success, future challenges will be more difficult, and the stakes will be higher!

The rules:

- You are not allowed to move, delete, or add any walls, doors, windows, railings, stairs, fencing, fireplaces, or arches. You may add columns.
- You ARE allowed to use Create-A-Style on any part of the house.
- You may change the landscaping and the exterior of the house if desired, but it has no real effect on the judging.
- You may use the "moveobjects on" cheat. No other cheats are allowed.
- You may use any EP, SP, Store Content or CC you desire. Extreme use of CC may count against you, however, so stick to the "official" content as much as possible.*
- Your house should contain everything Sims would need to actually live in it (e.g. bathroom fixtures, fridge and bed(s)).
- You may use items your Sims have collected/painted/etc (e.g. paintings, sculptures, gems).

- Deadline is March 14, 2011.

*"Extreme use" means, anything that would be totally impossible if you used official content.

The prizes:

Prizes will be based on the number of entries, as follows:

Less than 5 entries: no prizes
5 or more entries: 1 item on your wish list up to a maximum value of 100 SimPoints.
10 or more entries: 2 items on your wish list up to a maximum value of 100 SimPoints EACH.
15 or more entries: 3 items on your wish list, up to a maximum value of 100 SimPoints EACH.

To be considered an entrant, you must submit at least one photo.
More entries = better prizes! So tell your friends and get them to enter too!

How to enter:

Post a message to this thread declaring your intent to enter. Then download the house from my studio and get busy! When you're happy with the results, upload the photos to this thread. You may post as many photos as you like. Judging is based strictly on the photos, so you do not need to upload your creation...but you do need to take good photos!

Judging:

The only judge will be me. My decision is final. Judging will take place on March 15, 2011, at 10 PM (central time).

Good luck!

simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell

Comments

• Options
    TurnerSims3TurnerSims3 Posts: 12,123 Member
    edited March 2011
    This is a really cool idea! Maybe if I had better experience (though I HAVE seen a lot of interior designing shows...) I would sign up, but for now, I will just lurk and see what people come up with! :mrgreen:

(BTW, is there a certain style you want everything to be... like, I know it's not a modern home, but can you make it modern? :-) )
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This is a really cool idea! Maybe if I had better experience (though I HAVE seen a lot of interior designing shows...) I would sign up, but for now, I will just lurk and see what people come up with! :mrgreen:

(BTW, is there a certain style you want everything to be... like, I know it's not a modern home, but can you make it modern? :-) )

You can make it any style you want. Of course, if everything works well together and has an overall theme, that will probably count in your favour. ;)
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    AmberM66AmberM66 Posts: 904 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I think I might actually give this a shot. I've been looking for a contest like this.
  • Options
    ABEERKHANABEERKHAN Posts: 3,204 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I will try to do this challenge but did you make this house using things only from the base game? I'm asking this question because I only have the base game. I don't have any EP's or SP's.
  • Options
    Wolf10kFireWolf10kFire Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2011
    This looks really fun! I'm going to enter! :mrgreen: Can't wait to start on it!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ABEERKHAN wrote:
    I will try to do this challenge but did you make this house using things only from the base game? I'm asking this question because I only have the base game. I don't have any EP's or SP's.

Yes, it's using base game only. I wanted to make sure as many people could enter as possible.

simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I see I made one mistake already: one of the rooms has no doors! :oops:

If you have the house already, please add an arch as shown in this photo:

arch.jpg

If you didn't download it yet, the house in my studio has been updated.
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    itguyinscitguyinsc Posts: 5,765 Member
    edited March 2011
    I may have missed it, but are we allowed to modify the exterior siding? I saw your post regarding landscaping. Thanks! :D
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited March 2011
    I may be interested in giving this a try. I do have it dl'ed and I am working on it right now. I do have to say it is a curious layout and that is going to prove the biggest challenge for me. By that I mean, there is no apparent Master Suite and no way to make one due to the doorway positioning and the archways. I do love a challenge, though! Also, I am having fun trying to figure where to locate the kitchen due to the large windows I don't want obstructed by cabinetry, but I may have that figured out.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    itguyinsc wrote:
    I may have missed it, but are we allowed to modify the exterior siding? I saw your post regarding landscaping. Thanks! :D

You are allowed to use Create A Style anywhere; so that means you could change the colour/pattern/etc of the siding, but you cannot change it to a different type.
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ... I do have to say it is a curious layout and that is going to prove the biggest challenge for me. By that I mean, there is no apparent Master Suite and no way to make one due to the doorway positioning and the archways. I do love a challenge, though! ...

Yes, exactly. It was intended to be somewhat challenging. I tried to make rooms that had possibilities, but no obvious purpose.

I hope you do enter; I've seen some of your work and it's very good.

And if this challenge goes well, I already have plans for the next one! And it's going to be a lot different...

simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    caturaecaturae Posts: 2,244 Member
    edited March 2011
    I think I might enter. Does extreme use of cc include custom patterns?

Also are we allowed to move/delete windows? You specified abotu doors/arches etc but not windows ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    caturae wrote:
    I think I might enter. Does extreme use of cc include custom patterns?

Also are we allowed to move/delete windows? You specified abotu doors/arches etc but not windows ;)

"Extreme use of CC" means, things that would be totally impossible to do if you used official content. So, custom patterns ARE allowed.

Sorry, I forgot to mention windows! You are NOT allowed to move/delete windows. I will update the first post.

simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited March 2011
    Just to be perfectly clear, I do understand not MOVING any windows, doors, fencing and the like.. but what about ADDING any? How about columns? Allowed to add or not?
  • Options
    Dana_NicholeDana_Nichole Posts: 25
    edited March 2011
    I would like to try =]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just to be perfectly clear, I do understand not MOVING any windows, doors, fencing and the like.. but what about ADDING any? How about columns? Allowed to add or not?

You could add columns, but not any of the other features.

I will update the rules again. Pardon the oversights, this is my first attempt at running a contest. ;)

simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    k2m1took2m1too Posts: 3,128 Member
    edited March 2011
    You said that the siding could be re-colored, but not changed. Does that apply to the interior walls? (e.g. I noticed the walls are all flat, no crown molding, chair rails or footers...)
  • Options
    pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    edited March 2011
    I think I will try this. =]
    ofNj4ul
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    k2m1too wrote:
    You said that the siding could be re-colored, but not changed. Does that apply to the interior walls? (e.g. I noticed the walls are all flat, no crown molding, chair rails or footers...)

You can change the interior walls and floors to whatever you want.

Can't wait to see some photos! :)
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    kittaykatgurlkittaykatgurl Posts: 354
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I'd definitely like to give this a try :) I'm an amateur, but I think I've got a shot! Is there any specific time you'd like the photos in by?
    EDIT: Oh, haha, I just found the judging date :)
  • Options
    playerpopetplayerpopet Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2011
    I would like to have a go at this, but to confirm I can use FE and MoveObject or does that come under CC
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heh, cheat codes were the next thing I realized I would have to mention! :)

The only cheat you can use is moveobjects.

I'll update the rules on the first page.
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell
  • Options
    DP1916DP1916 Posts: 188 Member
    edited March 2011
    Im going to try this sounds fun
  • Options
    TurnerSims3TurnerSims3 Posts: 12,123 Member
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I think you should compile a list of everyone who says they will be doing it- and then use the: :mrgreen: face and put it next to the people who already sent in their pictures!!! :-o And I guess if someone doesn't come back for a really long time, then just delete their name or something! :XD:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just realized... I don't think there are any items in the Store that cost 200 SimPoints. :oops:

So I changed the prize structure to reflect that. The winner will get either one, two or three Store items, depending on the number of entries.
    simsig_willwright.gif

-Honeywell