Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

where are sims caches?

In another thread someone said that they refreshed their caches after upgrading their OS to 10.5.6.

How do you refresh your cache?

(I asked there but I fear it would go unnoticed.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DestinysCreaturesDestinysCreatures Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited November 2010
    To clean your cache go to /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Documents/Electronic Arts/TheSims3, inside you will find the cache folders and files, it also includes other files that you WOULD NOT want to delete. Back up your game BEFORE you clean them, just in case you take something out you didn't mean to.

I also placed in the other thread you asked in :D

Hope this helps :-)
  • Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2010
    The cache files that you can safely delete from your Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder without causing any trouble are:

CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package

The files that are in the DCCache folder contain everything that you installed via the Launcher, such as Store content or CC in sims3pack format. If you delete those, you will lose these things and you will have to reinstall them.

Everything that is in the WorldCaches you should not delete at all. People reported that on Macs this will make installed worlds like Riverview unusable and you would have to reinstall these.

If you want to clean your User files after an update the best thing would be to remove your The Sims 3 folder from the Electronic Arts folder, start your game in order to create that folder anew. Don't play, just quit. Reinstall your Store content by putting your downloads back into the Downloads folder and installing it again via the launcher. Put back your Saves and userPresets.package, Saved Sims and possibly custom music and Mods folder from the old The Sims 3 folder into the new one, and your game should be clean again.
  • Options
    DylannyDylanny Posts: 468
    edited November 2010
    THanks so much guys!
    After installing Late NIght I was having a lot of trouble (freezing sims, invisible sims). I tried lots of things, but not the cache files. (Oddly everything's been fine for a eek-- but I don't know why it started or why it went away.
    So if the trouble returns I'll try this.