Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smokytopaz Builds - Castle Desolation

OK the challenge was to build something spooky for Halloween, and when I was little I stayed with my gran. On a hill not far away there was a ruined castle. We kids were convinced it was haunted. Was it?

I know its not my normal sort of build but there you go!

Castle Desolation

http://gb.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3244773#

33ccjcz.jpg

A visitor...
bex203.jpg

lovely living
9upzcw.jpg

she found the grave
29fv6eu.jpg

Oh a ghost!
2vmspxh.jpg

Thankfully, daylight!
20z1npi.jpg

http://gb.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3244773#

It was fun to do!

Comments

• Options
    ladyCryptntladyCryptnt Posts: 156 Member
    edited October 2010
    Smokey, I love castles and your broken down one is wonderfully done :D reced!
  • Options
    addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Great use of fog. So ominous! Perfect for the time of year. Cool build!

Addict
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited October 2010
    That's so cool Smoky! Definitely rec'ing :thumbup:

It reminds me of Clun Castle in Shropshire, I remember going there when I was a kid!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Micky101037Micky101037 Posts: 2,940 New Member
    edited October 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of castle builds, but you pulled this off beautifully.

I love how you made it look broken down, it gives it a certain aura of...mystery? Age?

Either way, this is a fantastic build!

Dl' and Rec'd :wink:
  • Options
    pistons27275pistons27275 Posts: 942 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi Smoky, amazing job with the Castle Desolation. I really like the broken down structure and design including the demolished walls. Great usage of castle-like windows and doors which compliments perfectly with the authentic flow. The landscaping compliments perfectly with the overall structure including the flowers, trees, pond, and scrubs. You did a excellent job with the interiors including the kitchen, living area, and sleeping area. My favorite areas would include the authentic broken-like structure, landscaping, and interiors. Rec, dl, and fav from me. :D
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2010
    You guys are great, it was just a fun thing to try.... after all I did get the castle set and never used it! Love fog emitters (and all the rest of the effect they do).

Its was for the October challenge on TSS!

smiley_emoticons_kuerbisleuchten.gif
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited October 2010
    Smokey
    I love it! You have captured the look of a ancient castle left to ruin perfectly! The overgrown decaying landscape is awesome. I like how there is only parts left of the castle! Great build just in time for Halloween and the Late Night vamps! Happily rec'ing
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    socalkdlsocalkdl Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited October 2010
    Wonderfully atmospheric! I like run-down castles. You've captured the look very well. Rec'd!
    Kirk
    4646540594_f16c4e42a2.jpg
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited October 2010
    Oooh a desloted castle! Love it! :P I agree with Socakdl, it is very atmospheric! Love the landscaping and the interiors! Also love your sims included in the game! Very gothic! The ghost is just lovely! Great stuff Smoky! Recommended! Good luck with the challenge! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am really surprised how many of you have taken the trouble to view, and rec! I really needed the upload link for the challenge, so I thought I might as well post some piccys too.

Thank you so much - I think it is quite decorative and in my 'playing' game I am going to use it on a hill for atmosphere!

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-018.gif

Thank you!
  • Options
    KrisqueKrisque Posts: 532 Member
    edited October 2010
    Smoky, I love your castle! I am so used to seeing the type of castle you expect to see a dragon fly around the corner or something but this one looks like one you might see on a tour of Scotland. It's so interesting and has so much realism, did I say I love it!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hi Krisque, funny you should say that... my gran lived in Fife, Scotland and the castle ruin was on a high cliff overlooking the sea. We were forbidden to go there..... so we went, and screeched eeeek and ran around like loonies spooking each other. It was called McDuff. Tiny and ruined!

When we arrived home and gran said Where you been, the answer was of course...Nowhere. I guess I was seven, eight or nine? I went a lot to my lovely grans on my hols.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are you ready for Halloween....... the witching night.....

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-032.gif

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!
  • Options
    hmsdrco2001hmsdrco2001 Posts: 818 Member
    edited October 2010
    I wanted to post here, too. :) I just downloaded Castle Desolation to see it up close in my game. Creepy fog and living quarters aside, the ruins themselves are actually quite beautiful. I would have loved to have such a place to explore on visits to my grandma's. We just had a tobacco field. And you really created a dingy look for the living quarters. I love your description, "the living quarters are - hmm. disgusting really." Hilarious. The rusty refrigerator, grimy toilet, crawling bugs, and abandoned leftovers--every small detail adds to the horrific look. For some reason, the mailbox in the cover picture cracks me up. I can just imagine the mailman or mailwoman delivering the latest issue of OK magazine to this place. You have my recommendation and another addition to my favorites. :) Have a wonderful weekend. -Bill
  • Options
    KimSim1965KimSim1965 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2010
    Ooh, Smoky! I like it! This is perfect for the season. Great job. A rec from me.
    Kim
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bill, thank you so much for commenting here too! Really nice! A fav...wow!

KimSim, ta honey, thanks for the rec!

• Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited October 2010
    It looks like something out of a movie or old painting. Very beautifuly built, though its supposed do be scary, In a way it's also quite lovely. I love how its made to look in ruins. Very creative. I can imagin an evil inventor/scientist living here!
  • Options
    kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited October 2010
    This looks so awesome. Great work. A rec from me. :-)
  • Options
    KrisqueKrisque Posts: 532 Member
    edited October 2010
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    Hi Krisque, funny you should say that... my gran lived in Fife, Scotland and the castle ruin was on a high cliff overlooking the sea. We were forbidden to go there..... so we went, and screeched eeeek and ran around like loonies spooking each other. It was called McDuff. Tiny and ruined!

When we arrived home and gran said Where you been, the answer was of course...Nowhere. I guess I was seven, eight or nine? I went a lot to my lovely grans on my hols.

Well you have done a marvelous job as usual and you are always such an inspiration with your builds. It's amazing how you are able to capture those memories and put them to pixels for all of us to enjoy, thank you for that!
  • Options
    follyfootfollyfoot Posts: 3,450 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi Smoky
    Great idea definitely has a spooky feel to it. Also I love the slide show and how the dark oozes in. :shock: Wonderful work as always, left a rec. :D
  • Options
    spartan1spartan1 Posts: 606 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi Smoky! I love this build, and your sims look great! Are they twins? I've just done some triplets for a new build and they are always fun to create. You are very lucky to have access to such history when you were a child - there aren't that many old buildings in Australia and I always love a good castle. I love the old worn look you have achieved with this, both in the build and the textures ... wonderful work as usual! I also love what you've done with the castle set - it is a very hard set to use!

DL+Rec+Fav! Love it! Good luck with the competition too :D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment! And for the recs, and dl's..... what a nice thing to wake up to this morning!

Coffee anyone?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh yes Spartan they are twins.... I had to put red gloves on one so I could tell the difference. Cept I can't remember if I put them on Moxie or Morgan :(

• Options
    edited October 2010
    OK, its had its day in the sun now, so a fast thank you for all the dls, recs and favs.... for a build that was done just for fun its done really well!

Thats All Folks!