Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New CAW tool

thesim53thesim53 Posts: 246 New Member
I realy want a new CAW tool the one we have now is way to tricky.
1.its hard to place lots that connect to the road.
2. all the terrian options are confusing.
3. all i want to do is make a simple plave called diamond river and i keep messing up.
4. bridges are very annoying
5. the whole thing is a mess
last i want a new CAW tool which is easy like the sims 2 one!

Comments

• Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited October 2010
    I agree, it does need to be simplified. I can't even place lots, it keeps telling me I need to add another layer, but I can't find where to do it. And I can't get the tutorial to open up anymore.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    MaybeSupernovaMaybeSupernova Posts: 130 New Member
    edited October 2010
    How about the fact that us Mac-users can't use it at all? I would love to have the beta version, difficult tools and everything.
  • Options
    LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited October 2010
    thesim53 wrote:
    I realy want a new CAW tool the one we have now is way to tricky.
    1.its hard to place lots that connect to the road.
    2. all the terrian options are confusing.
    3. all i want to do is make a simple plave called diamond river and i keep messing up.
    4. bridges are very annoying
    5. the whole thing is a mess
    last i want a new CAW tool which is easy like the sims 2 one!

1. Make sure road edges are aligned to the grid. That way lots meet up with it perfectly.

2. Need elaboration on that one. Which ones are you finding confusing? They do take some getting used to and practice.. LOTS of practice.

3. CAW takes a lot of getting used to. I don't know how many worlds I've trashed just because I kept messing them up and became overly irritated with them.

4. Easiest way I've found to place a bridge is to....
    a) at the shoreline. start with the flatten terrain tool. Flatten the land all the way across the water.
    b)Place the bridge on that flat land. Get it moved about so it aligns to the grid so the road meets up with it straight. (You may need to enable/disable the grid to get it moved exactly how it needs to be)
    c) Now take the valley-gentle tool and lower the terrain under the bridge.
    d) Little smoothing after that. All done.

5. I disagree. Yes there can be some improvements, but overall I've been having a pretty good time making worlds. (Have two on the exchange and both seem to be doing quite well as far as downloads and reqs.

Remember. CAW was and probably never will be geared for "novice" users. It takes a lot of practice and patience as we learn how to use it. My biggest problem is trying to get the terrain paints to blend nicely on the map. Some folks seem to have it all figured out and have made some awesome looking terrain. Me? I keep practicing and improving. LoL
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    thanks for the help!
    But i still hope one day there is an easier 1. i started making a map with the flat land but im making it like a valley with a river
  • Options
    LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited October 2010
    You think this one can get frustrating. You should try creating a custom map for Call of Duty 2.

Compared to those tools.. CAW is a breeze.

Just be patient (Something I have to keep telling myself to do) and keep plugging along. The more ya work with CAW the easier it gets.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so sad im just a new commer to CoD i started with moder warfare can't wait for black ops
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited October 2010
    The sims 2 World creator was another game entirely called Sim City 4 so i'll pass on that. it wasn't exactly a world either it was more of a number of separate save games that never aged/evolved unless you played them all separately .