Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roof Trouble- Opinions needed : )

KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
I'm working on a house for TSS's Revamp Twinbrook project. This is the inspiration house - a center hall cottage:

ry%3D400

I have two different roof possibilities. the first one mimics the front porch on the inspiration pic. I'm not totally happy with the look though. It looks a little...clunky, or something :?

ry%3D400

And here's the other roof:

ry%3D400

Sooooo... which one looks better? Or any suggestions on making the roofline look more like the one in the picture?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    altheaquinaltheaquin Posts: 5,013 Member
    edited July 2010
    The second one looks more like the picture.

Have you tried the adjust individual roof heights feature. I was sooooooooo happy when that was added, it makes building much easier.
    nnsig1_zps7a3fd5f0.pngs4gsig_zpseed8c92c.png
  • Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited July 2010
    2nd :]
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    vanilijavanilija Posts: 3,411 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I like the 2nd one more. ^^
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited July 2010
    The first one follows the brick/plaster work better than the second... is there a panelling you could use to mimic the brick/plaster work more? Or adding(place friezes on) to do that extra slightly inside height. Hmmmm
  • Options
    kimwriter75kimwriter75 Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited July 2010
    Wish there were a happy medium between the two...
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    MumsyMumsy Posts: 666 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I like the second better but I agree the top more closely resembles the original.. in a way.

Hmm..for pic 1. I wonder if you can make a frieze, then flooring with short short fencing along the outside edge, then another frieze on top of that?
    The friezes may be too tall but that's what comes to my mind

Also would it help to make the porch with 2-story columns? Set the entire roofline up a little but also maybe a tiny bit flatter?

For pic 2, maybe the completely flat roof to avoid the angle altogether?

All in all, this is awesomely well done! Great job :!:

~Mumsy
  • Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the feedback and tips, everyone! I'm leaning toward the 2nd one unless I can figure out how to use some kind of fencing in with the frieze to give it more dimension. I tried a bunch of different paneling, and this is the one that looked the best. I'll post another picture if I find anything else that looks good.
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited July 2010
    Oooohh such a lovely cottage! I love the second roof as well! Can't wait to see the finished lot! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited July 2010
    Pretty!!! And you are finding out the exact reason I dont try to use actual houses or plans to make my houses..its so frustrating. People can do all sorts of stuff in real life that we cannot duplicate in game.

I think the second one is better, along with everyone else....and if it doesnt match exactly, I would not worry about it. Its still an absolutely adorable little house. :D