Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sitting on the Fence -- What Do You Suggest?

I absolutely love creating interactive competitions for simmers across the globe to take part in. My only problem is that of a limited household.

Yes, I know about Awesome Mod and read about all of its features. However I am uncertain about downloading it. While I would absolutely love to be able to expand the number of contestants I accept I am wary about introducing a mod to the game.

So I would love to get some feedback on your thoughts of the Awesome Mod and also if you'd reccomend the download of it.

Comments

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited July 2010
    I like it, I use it.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    littlemama879555littlemama879555 Posts: 2,201
    edited July 2010
    Awesome mod is great! As long as you know how to set up the framework properly, your game will be fine.
  • Options
    KittyKat6369KittyKat6369 Posts: 3,741 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thank you both for your fast input!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else have anything to put in? Did you guys run into any complications or was/has your experience been easy flowing?
  • Options
    Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited July 2010
    No. All easy flowing. Just make sure you DON'T use it with another core mod or your game is goin' down... :twisted:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else have any input they wish to share?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is there anything else anyone wants to add?
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited July 2010
    I'm too scared to use it.

I used mods all the time in TS2, but I'm keeping my game mod free this time. I don't want to lose my game.
  • Options
    ameliuh321ameliuh321 Posts: 3,767 New Member
    edited July 2010
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=381046

That core mod is the one I love, you get to pick and choose what you like so you can have it all or very little. It's pretty simple to install if you skim the readme and one of the choices is to choose how many people fit in a household. It goes 1-20 and then you may also choose infinite. :]

Also, another feature I love, is when you start up the game it tells you if you've installed it properly and to have fun. <3
  • Options
    beaynidSimbeaynidSim Posts: 784 Member
    edited July 2010
    ill play a semi devil's advocate on this one :)

Generally, the only mod i would consider using personally would be a story progression enhancing mod. That being said i was more for indie stone than awesome mod in that respects due to the way they handled it. Now it would be twallans story progression.

Also, im not one to use a core mod. unless you know what you are doing, they generally can wreck havoc when updating to a new patch or expansion.

And on the side of expanding the current household: the cap of 8 in a household is there for a reason, expanding that number can cause issues, even with a good computer that can handle the extra processing it takes. Changing any variable in the original code can cause untold problems. sometimes the issues dont even show up right away. Save games can become corrupted, unplayable, etc. Using any core mod, or change in the original game/script coding is done at your own risk. Every persons computer is different so you will never know what its effects will be on yours until you actually use it. If the risk is worth it to you for what you want to do, then go for it. if not then dont. Its always personal choice :)

Have fun :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for your comment Alisox.

ameliuh321, thank you for the alternative mod. I will have to look into the two and compare.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    beaynidSim, thank you for playing the devil's advocate. It was nice to get some of the downfalls commented on. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2010
    awesome mod stinks. I had to constantly update it. I don't know why. I just ended up getting rid of it cuz it was more of a hassle than fun. But each to their own.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Toblie, nice to see some more users with experience express their opinions. I'll definitely take your comments into consideration.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited July 2010
    Hi,
    When we first got our games, last year, I put the am in and it worked great for a while. Then one day it just quit and told me I needed to update it or something. At that point, I just pulled it and didn't bother again.

I appreciate that Pescado wants to keep it up to date and all, but I just can't be bothered pulling and installing every time we get a new patch, ep or sp. It's really just too much troule.

I have been reading about the different mods and would love to use one just for something different. But if I keep having to mess around with it, then I can't be bothered.

cyn
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for your honesty windweaver, it seems that while the mod is updated it's fun to have but once updates are needed it's really not worth the hassle.
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2010
    If there was a chance that it could disrupt a competition that you were trying to do to have fun in the first place, I would say consider your own skill in resolving the problem if one should occur.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2010
    if you want to do a comp with more than 8 why not try 2 different houses and eliminate from each house a week and then combine the households near the end. Just a suggestion i dunno what you wanna do.