Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How-To-Install CC/Mods "The New Way" Guide. Update: 04/23/2014

Comments

• Options
    Missty0CittyMissty0Citty Posts: 876 New Member
    edited November 2011
    Could someone help me with this? I totally don't understand any of this, I have a problem with my sims and someone told me to come here but I don't do any of my mods I have someone else do it for me and they don't get this either.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited November 2011
    I'm at work right now and I'm not off / home for a few more hours.

sent via mobile phone
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Could someone help me with this? I totally don't understand any of this, I have a problem with my sims and someone told me to come here but I don't do any of my mods I have someone else do it for me and they don't get this either.
    Where are you lost?
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have the Resource.cfg in the mods folder but I don't get anything after that. I don't understand what to do next.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have the Resource.cfg in the mods folder but I don't get anything after that. I don't understand what to do next.
    Let's double-check everything.

My qNd (quick and dirty) version for installing CC and Mods.
    Just remember that in Win7 Documents is under Libraries, Vista is under Documents, Win XP is under My Documents.

Under Documents...
    Step 1: Go to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
    a) Create a folder and name it Mods. (watch the case it must be exact)
    b) Click to open the Mods folder so you are inside it.
    c) Create a sub-folder within the Mods folder and name it Packages. (watch the case it must be exact)

Step 2: Saving the new Resource.cfg file
    a) Hit your back button and go back to the Mods folder so you are on the same level.
    b) Download / save the new Resource.cfg file from MTS. Just click this link here.
    DO NOT Open with... Just save the file to your Mods folder.

Step 3: Extract the (.package) files from the (.rar or .zip) files.
    a) User whatever program (i.e. WinRAR, WinZip, 7Zip) that you use to extract the (.package) file for the Mods.
    b) After you have the (.package) file extracted, cut/copy (whichever you prefer) then paste only the (.package) file into the Packages sub-folder.

Step 4: Delete the four cache files.
    You may also want to delete the four cache files in "The Sims 3" folder under Documents before you restart your game.

CASPartCache.package,
    compositorCache.package,
    scriptCache.package,
    simCompositorCache.package

FYI - You cannot do this while your game is running as these files are in use, so turn it off.

Once you have all the (.package) files in the Packages sub-folder, restart your game. You should get a pop-up just like below notifying you that you have mods installed.

1zdw7r4.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Thanks.
    You're welcome. :wink:
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited November 2011
    I want to download something from the Liana sims 3 site..but I'm having a problem. I can't unrar (I can't open it period)..I can't get it to show up like the packs (or whatever you have on the other page).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    I want to download something from the Liana sims 3 site..but I'm having a problem. I can't unrar (I can't open it period)..I can't get it to show up like the packs (or whatever you have on the other page).
    Everything I have ever downloaded from Liana Sims 3 has been (.sims3pack) files, not (.package) files.

What program are you using to Extract the contents?
    Do you have file extensions turned on?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    well that's just the problem. Everytime I try to download from Liamsims3 site. I get a download but it shows IE. and I can't get any farther then that.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    well that's just the problem. Everytime I try to download from Liamsims3 site. I get a download but it shows IE. and I can't get any farther then that.
    Is MSIE your default browser?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    that's just it. the default browser on this computer is Firefox. But I'm on Crome. I can't install another IE since it says I already have one recently installed. But I can't find it anywhere on the computer.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    that's just it. the default browser on this computer is Firefox. But I'm on Crome. I can't install another IE since it says I already have one recently installed. But I can't find it anywhere on the computer.
    I just downloaded the below item in Chrome, Firefox, and MSIE9 from here...
    http://www.lianasims3.net/fashion.php?displ=f&link=m&gen=f&age=YoungAdult&section=Everyday with no issues.

2nh1752.jpg28i3lgx.jpg

If you're using Chrome, how do you have the settings for downloads? Click on the wrench, options, check what downloads says under the hood. Downloads will save as to whatever download location you tell it to. I also have (Ask where to save each file before downloading) checked.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    its downloads as an rar file and I don't havw winzip..and I can only seem to download as a rar file. from Chrome, Firefox..and IE.

ja97rc.jpg

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    its downloads as an rar file and I don't havw winzip..and I can only seem to download as a rar file. from Chrome, Firefox..and IE.

ja97rc.jpg
    When you click on the Download button for the item, that is the only option they have. They used some type of compression software (WinRAR, WinZip, 7Zip, etc.) to compress the file as a (.rar) and reduce the size. They do not have the option to download as just a (.sims3pack) file. Allowing that would take up server space. In the file I downloaded the (.rar) file was 1.02 MB versus the (.sims3pack) file extracted at 1.39 MB.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    well that's the problem I can't extract anything from the rar file since it only shows up as a IE file. despite having a rar extenstion. Its the same for every browser. I also can't follow your directions about file extensions..since I don't have the "tool" option on my computer. I use Vista.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    well that's the problem I can't extract anything from the rar file since it only shows up as a IE file. despite having a rar extenstion. Its the same for every browser. I also can't follow your directions about file extensions..since I don't have the "tool" option on my computer. I use Vista.
    What is an IE file???
    MadameLee wrote:
    its downloads as an rar file and I don't havw winzip..
    You just said you do not have WinZip. I just told you that you can't open the file because you don't have an application installed on the computer to open it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    MadameLee wrote:
    Go to Organize and click the arrow, go to Layout, check to turn on the Menu Bar.

beh2lf.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    @ MadameLee,

I do realize my comment before telling you how to turn on your menu was a bit short and I do apologize.

I had to disconnect my external DVD drive with my game and reconnect my external storage drive that has my 3Pcc stored on it to try and help you. But if you had simply answered my first questions when I responded to your original question, I would not have gone through all the stuff I posted in between thinking that you had another issue. It was time consuming.

Regardless I am sorry. :oops:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I download winzip and is fine now.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    rgirl1rgirl1 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited December 2011
    Hello, Bluenote,
    I recently downloaded the cfg resource file as described earlier in this thread. I created the mods file, and put the package file and the cfg file inside. Then I downloaded some hair (cc). The hair did not show up in my game. I'm not sure if the cfg file is right.
    Can you help?
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    rgirl1 wrote:
    Hello, Bluenote,
    I recently downloaded the cfg resource file as described earlier in this thread. I created the mods file, and put the package file and the cfg file inside. Then I downloaded some hair (cc). The hair did not show up in my game. I'm not sure if the cfg file is right.
    Can you help?
    Thank you
    Re-check your setup with the qNd version.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/1050/217955.page#6961982

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you I will re-check everything tomorrow when I get a chance. I will let you know. Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok,I just had a quick look at my files. Everything looked ok until I got to the cfg file. Your instructions say save to the Mods file folder. Save is not an option for me..."save as" is an option. When I "save as" it looks like this;
    Subject:
    Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:11:09 -0500
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset="Windows-1252"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Location: http://skuld.modthesims.info/Resource.cfg
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
    <META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154"></HEAD>
    <BODY><PRE>Priority 501
    DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
    Priority 500
    PackedFile Packages/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority 499
    PackedFile Test/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority -50
    PackedFile Probation/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority 500
    PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

</PRE></BODY></HTML>

I probably won't be online again until tomorrow night...talk to you then? And Thank you :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is saving as an HTML document. What browser are you using and how do you have the settings?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top