Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A system Error Has Occurred

Almost every time I try to upload I get that message. It is not a timing out issue because the green bar goes all the way to the right. My lots are not too big and I use minimal custom content. What could cause this message to appear and how can I fix this?
Imagination > Knowledge

Comments

• Options
    kimwriter75kimwriter75 Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited June 2010
    Anyone know?
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi,

You can first try running the launcher as an Administrator. It is highly recommended that you upload your items in smaller batches or even one at a time. Another thing to try is to clear away your previous items from the uploads list in the launcher. Uploading at a later date may also help, especially if the Sims 3 site is experiencing technical difficulties. As always, make certain that your EA user account has not exceeded its allotted storage space for uploads. Also note that until and unless your game is patched to the latest version, the Exchange will not allow uploads unfortunately.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thank you. I do run as Administrator, previous uploads are cleared away, I seriously doubt I've exceeded the allotted storage as I do not have that much uploaded, and I am patched to the latest.

This may be an unsolvable problem.
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited June 2010
    Have you by any chance used any unusual ASCII characters in the item's name or description when exporting to the launcher? Have you modified any item preview thumbnails?
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Don't think so. I'm uploading 2 basic homes called Sweetbay Magnolia, and Modish Bliss.

I am using the UIC by Zinda, just using regular PNG pic for first pic. It's worked for me before.
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    hazentwhazentw Posts: 341 New Member
    edited June 2010
    :(

Hey Kim,

I've searched the internet and I have not found an answer, I've actually uninstalled twice now and cleared the registery of any left over items and still no luck.

I don't think it has anything to do with ambitions, I'm leaning more toward a conflict between the launcher and EADM, I've reinstalled the download manager countless times as outlined here:

http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22061

and I'm still getting error messages when starting the game, not every single time but often enough to cause me to pull out the last few remaining hairs on my head.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Hello hazen, I'm not having trouble starting the game. I'm sorry you are.

My problem is uploading lots. I get an error message even though the green upload bar goes all the way to the right.

I hope both our issues will be resolved quickly. :)
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    hazentwhazentw Posts: 341 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi Kim, I'm having the upload problem too, the green bar fills in less than 35 seconds and then I get the red circle with the slash through it. Which as we know stands for "A system Error Has Occurred."

Has anyone got a fix for this?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I emailed EA about this problem...no response yet.
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Received an email from EA. Great stuff, but it did not help me. Here it is.

Greetings ,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

I do apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment it may have
    caused to you. However, I would like to suggest you to Please try the
    below mentioned suggestions:

1) Please clear your browser cache
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=10990

2) Lower yourbrowser's security settings to allow proper communication
    with the web site.
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=10714

3) Empty your cacheto prevent file conflicts within the program.
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=10704

4) Empty the Tempfolder to prevent file conflicts on the system.
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=10705

Also, I request youthat if you are using Internet Explorer version 8
    thentry registering using the Internet Explorer version 7 orMozilla.

Have you considered trying the MSInternet Explorer or FireFox browsers
    instead?
    />
    Here are the steps you'll need to follow to downloadand configure
    FireFox, if you'd rather try it as abrowser:

1. Go to http://www.getfirefox.com .

2. Click the"Free Download" link in the upper left part of thescreen.

3. When asked to run or install theapplication, choose "Run",
    "Install", or "Yes".
    />
    4. Follow those steps, and you should be all set.
    />
    I hope the above information helps and resolves thisissue. If you have
    any questions about this materialor have any additional questions about
    your issue,please let us know.

Sincerely,

Thankyou,

James
    EA Customer Support
    Imagination > Knowledge
  • Options
    tdewdtdewd Posts: 927 Member
    edited July 2010
    *huge bump*

I'm still having this issue - like many, many others - and am wondering if anyone knows of anything that could be causing it, or any way to fix it? I've tried searching the forums and googling it but to no avail. Google actually lead me straight to this post.

Did you manage to find a workaround, kim?
  • Options
    NokuoroNokuoro Posts: 3,413 New Member
    edited July 2010
    yeah im having this problem too.. i think it may have something to do with CC.. but im not too sure..
  • Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited July 2010
    Nokuoro wrote:
    yeah I'm having this problem too.. i think it may have something to do with CC.. but I'm not too sure..

There are others having upload problems without the use of CC.

I've been having problems uploading since they changed our "my page" pages. Several people have seen "Liam" rear his geeky head on the site as well. Might be maintenance that is causing it?
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    NokuoroNokuoro Posts: 3,413 New Member
    edited July 2010
    i hate these glitchs.. lol
  • Options
    Adrienne25Adrienne25 Posts: 238 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Irritating isn't it!!
  • Options
    Moonbeam81Moonbeam81 Posts: 181 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Frustrating is an understatement. I am having the exact same problem with the "system error occurred" message. I have removed all CC, including patterns, deleted browser history, cleaned cache and cookies, lowered the security, and still I am unable to upload lots.
  • Options
    seismicmilkseismicmilk Posts: 606 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I'm getting this error message too. It has nothing to do with file size or how many sims per package that you're uploading. I've been trying to upload the same three-member family for two days, but my eight-member families and my single sims (who are three times the file size of the three-member family due to them being created with all default content and the singles made with some custom content) are all able to be uploaded.

I'm going to try the instructions the person gave that one member and see if it works. If so, I'll report back and we'll get this ball rolling with everyone else! :D
  • Options
    seismicmilkseismicmilk Posts: 606 New Member
    edited August 2010
    All that deleting of cookies and java cache and blah blah doesn't work. At all. Something went wrong when I deleted them, too, because when I closed and opened up firefox again, it was completely screwed up. Weird, huge buttons that never belonged there, toolbars with mislabeled icons, etc. I had to reinstall firefox to clear it up.

I even repackaged my three-member family and they still don't work. I recreated them from scratch and they still don't work. However, I've been able to upload three single sims today with no problems whatsoever.

To me, it seems like the MORE custom content you plaster onto a sim, the more likely they'll be able to be uploaded.
  • Options
    GoGoSunshineGoGoSunshine Posts: 338 Member
    edited December 2010
    I spent an entire day making 7 sims for a collection and I can not upload a single one :cry: :evil: I am so annoyed with site. When ever I'm shelling out money (the store) everything works fine but I can't use the exchange now???? What's the point in having it then?
  • Options
    Ashcroft31Ashcroft31 Posts: 1,154 New Member
    edited December 2010
    you know this sounds familiar to what i'm going through with one of my commerical lots,

i actually modified some of the cc so it could cross platforms, meaning i modified the kitchen appliances like stoves and dishwashers so they would fit on a community lot,

but on upload i get system error occured as well,

so, i have reason to beleive that over the months of nonstop abuse i get that feeling EA has written in a piece of code stopping anyone from sharing the none ea CC on there lots,

so, anyone straight after the release of Late Night using MTS, TSR or any cc or mod tools will no longer be able to share them over the exhcange here,

and even if you think you've deleted it all from the game, i see ghost records of the CC still registered in the upload there, so no matter what you do, the new security restrictions EA have put in place will prevent you from successfully uploading the items,

but at the sametime i maybe wrong, but for now that's the i see it myself.
  • Options
    JudilandJudiland Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited January 2011
    :( I'm still encountering this issue with my newest lot, there's no cc and I checked it through and no corrupt files in it. The lot works fine in my game, and I've recently updated EADM. This lot is one I've been posting pic's of on my thread, and I know a few folk's who are looking forward to uploading it, I so want them to have it, but I keep getting blocked by the "a system error has occured" message. :cry: I hope EA gets on it soon and work's the bugs out of the Exchange. Sharing my creations is one of the best part's of this game!
  • Options
    MarxMarx Posts: 600 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Howdy folx!

Have any of you guys checked to see what windows was logging about the issue? Go to your control panel and launch the administrative tools applet and then event viewer. Click on the system log and review the logs. Errors will be represented by red circles with white x's. Double click the event log that matches with the system error, that will open up a window with more details. You'll see 3 buttons, two of which are arrows, you want to use the 3rd one, it looks like a clip board. That button copies the details of the problem for you to be able to paste it here.

So, process works like this.... Do whatever it is that causes the error, then go and grab the log.... and paste it here :)
  • Options
    joedrifter1joedrifter1 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Okay guys, I tried a quick test. I built a simple house with a roof, wallpaper and ONE CUSTOM CONTENT window and it uploaded fine but as soon as I add more custom content it stopped uploading the file :-) EA is regulating the custom content without a doubt because they want people to buy from the Sims 3 store and also the expansions like "high end loft stuff" etc.. Reason?? $$$ We know darn well us simmers build better lots, Sims, & custom content that EA and most of you know most sites like TSR is where home is. They can't make anything as far as an object etc..better than any serious modder. So with that being said I loved the Sims 2 exchange where we got to upload anything! P.S I have support issue open on this and they "elevated it to the support engineer"

joedrifter1 -Part of the Weiden & Kennedy Ad Campaigh featured in Teen People 2005 "how do you play" What an awesome experience it was being at EA.
  • Options
    eongirl4o9eongirl4o9 Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    My game was doing the same until now. I removed this mod I had in my sims 3 files. Try to remove the mods you have- if you have any; they could be corrupted.
  • Options
    DiamondRose19DiamondRose19 Posts: 84
    edited September 2012
    Almost every time I try to upload I get that message. It is not a timing out issue because the green bar goes all the way to the right. My lots are not too big and I use minimal custom content. What could cause this message to appear and how can I fix this?

If you get a red circle through your upload and it says "A System Error has Occurred" this is what you have to do:
    Go to your Documents->Electronic Arts->The Sims 3-> DCCache
    Delete the file "missingdeps" from your DCCache folder
    Restart your game and re-export your sims 3 creation and it should work, well it worked for me anyhow. If it still doesn't work it might be that your creation has a cc item that EA won't allow to upload on the exchange. Or it could simply be the exchange going through some maintenance and other people may not be able to upload as well.
    I'm not sure what the "missingdeps" file does but when deleting it I think it somehow refreshes your launcher and gets rid of that annoying red circle error.
    I hope I've helped :)