Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Re message About the exchange, please clarify

I and many others have had a message about the exchange:-

Custom images on the Exchange
Hello Simmers,

We have been noticing many items on the Exchange with broken or missing thumbnail images. The issue has been narrowed down to third party programs used to create custom images. We know our Simmers love to show off their best creations with the best angles possible, but unfortunately, these uploads have been altered by something outside of our game and our Exchange isn't happy with that!

We are going through the Exchange and hiding any items with broken images. And we ask if you are going to use 3rd party tools to alter your thumbnails, please check to make sure your upload is successful. If it is not, please delete it from the Exchange.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Sims Web Team

Which third party programmes? Is changing the cover image to a 512x512png file unacceptable? Does this in fact break the exchange if the instructions are not adhered to?

Are you saying do not use a programme which allows this step?

Please clarify.

Thankyou.

Comments

• Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2010
    More thoughts, I use two programmes to change the image, first on is 'paint', in which I select good picture, resize to a square of 512x512 pixels, add text,save as a png. Then I use Zinda's programme to change the cover picture.

Is this correct? Is this useable? Does this upset the exchange?

Please answer!
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited May 2010
    I think they're just trying to find something to blame the exchange problem on so it's back on our shoulders rather than theirs. We've been using programs to alter our images for a long time now - longer than the problems with the exchange has been going on.

I think what they're trying to say though is that if you upload something and the image is broken to please remove it, I don't think they're telling us that we can't use the image changing programs.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Goodness now I am thinking maybe I should have posted this in technical...... maybe I will copy it over there.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Darkslayer, I think they are looking at the exchange (hurray) and finding problems and trying to sort it and this is just one of them. I really don't think they are offloading a problem.

I certainly thought the image changer had been used for a long time. I do think if it is used wrongly it would cause a problem, ie wrong size, how many threads get broken because of people uploading the wrong size? Wrong format, it has to be a png in the changer, not a jpeg. etc etc.

Maybe a Saturday was the wrong day to ask this too..... still - patience.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited May 2010
    It's still early; I live in the UK which is why I'm online now but a lot of the people here hail from America so they'll still be tucked up in bed.

You do have a point, if people are uploading the pictures at the wrong size then that could be breaking the uploads.
  • Options
    chellemh29chellemh29 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited May 2010
    You know, I always thought it was because people weren't useing the image changer right too. However another simmer pointed out that the game has a tendancy to break the images all by itsself. I didn't see anything in that email saying we can't change the picture, just that we need to make sure that it uploads.
    yhCWXCP.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I always check the image has uploaded - by going to my studio and clicking on the lot just loaded which takes me to the exchange, then I can copy paste the address of the lot in the exchange......... so I know the image is ok.

Seeing the lot in the right place on the exchange is a different matter.

But I guess these thing will get done in time.

Clarification of all of this guess work would help tho.